Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

XTZ headlight Size

17K views 68 replies 10 participants last post by  zticket 
#1 ·
I had a long day out yesterday in the mud and the muck on a 60mile ride! Come dark felt like my lights where to dim even on high. I am currently away from my buggy and was wondering if what the headlight size is on the xtz. I'm not wanting to spend the money on an hid kit if I can find a better replacement bulb such as an LED style. But first I need the oem light size so I can start doing my research!

#2 ·
I believe they are all 881:D

#3 ·
I'd look into why they were dim prior to replacing all the bulbs. The 881 puts out a good amount of light on mine.

#4 ·
They are not dim to look at or dull in color. They are just not bright like the other buggies I ride with. It made it tough maneuvering through the deep deep dark hollers while trying not to hit objects due to our low ground clearance.

I was testing that skid plate out on a lot big rocks and it held up great. However I never wanted it to be like that. If I would have been able to see. It would have been different.

Upgraded lights need and probably a SLC lift is being greatly considered.

#5 ·
i always noticed that ac factory lights suck!!!!!i would go hid or ad a couple of leds they make all the difference and draw nothing for amps:D inightride all the time and they are well woth the money

Attachments

#6 ·
Unfortunately at the moment money is an issue. I can get a 50" totron led curved light bar for 350 bucks. But priorities are keeping me spending little money.

Gf graduated her masters program yesterday and we have been looking for a house and some acreage. So penny pinching is in full force. Or I would just add the new light bar.

How ever I had to replace the battery in my 13 xtz already! Wasn't to happy about that but I have always heard do to the slow number in sales of ac there batteries tend to sit and go bad!

Still not sure why I leave the key on for the radio the P0635 light comes on in about 5 mins. Is this typical or do I need to take it in before warranty is up?

Also does a 6000k color temp bulb shine any better that a 3500k bulb?

#8 ·
still running my original stock factory battery , well over 5K on the clock now
I do keep it on a maintainer charger [good quality one, not the low $$ detrain one [however it's spelled] … I have used up several of those ones.
I also keep my other batteries on these chargers when not in regular use .. most of my batteries are Odyssey's

#9 ·
Yea Gary Thats un-real your battery is still stock,I have had 4 on mine,but I think a lot of the reason his because it took so long to start,fire's right up now,and this battery is 1 year old,the one in my 1986 350 foreman is 11 years old and never had a tender on it,just gets rode more.

#11 ·
give me your address , when I get back to Coeur d'Alene in July I can mail you a complete housing you can use to "test" your idea on one bulb … I had to replace it as it let water in , it wasn't sealed right from the factory I didn't see that until I cracked a bulb with water.

#12 ·
Sent you a pm with my address.

If this works it would be great! Rather than spending hundreds in aftermarket for lighting.

#15 ·
I used Ford Mustang fog light housings and LED Bulbs for my additional lighting. They do draw more watts pre bulb. Stock bulbs are 27 Watts each, the fog light bulbs are 55 each. Stock total is 108 watts, fog lights are 110 watts. So either or on what I turn on, in a pinch I can run all of them. I do have a HID conversion kit for the fog lights, but it is still sitting on the shelf!

#17 ·
Chaz I go my hid lights on e-bay for 46 dollars and thats for 2 sets high and low beam,they are 6000k and are very bright,I only use low beam also.most of the time I just use my led light bar.The hids will drop my volt gauge just for a second or so until they come on and then my volt gauge go's back up to normal.

#18 ·
Chaz .. got it … won't be going north until some time in July, so don't expect it for a while

#19 ·
Thanks Gary, for the time being I have still made an attempt to upgrade my lights for future endeavors. After hours of research I found out that a 881, 894 and a 898 bulb are all physically interchangeable and will work. They tech data is the only difference and it is minimal as far as I can tell. This is what I found out... I have opted to try the 894 due to the almost double lumens compared to the standard 881.

Bulb. 881 894 898
Body type. Right angled prefocus (PGJ13)
Amp draw. 2.1. 2.93 2.93
Color temp. All 3100
Wattage. 32. 38. 37.5
LUMENS. 565. 942. 754

As you noticed the 881 was listed as 32 watts when our factory is a 27.5w.. These numbers where all pulled from a sylvania standard fog light and was obtained from auto zones website.

#20 ·
interesting info there .. one might look at those for auto's also

#21 ·
The info it's self didn't list like it was suppose to, but you are right Gary it would be great for upgrading your cars lighting also.

#22 ·
especially since most trucks have ample battery/charging systems to handle a lil more draw

#24 ·
Great research Chaz! Thanks. I did pick up the fog light housing's off ebay for 20 dollars, HID kit for the same was 29.00. Still un-decided on wither to put the HID kit on the Stock headlight high beam, or on the fog lights mounted higher?

#25 ·
Quick update...

Finally got in about 30 miles (4 hrs) of riding in the dark. What a difference! And I had no issues. The lenses didn't get any warmer. No burning smell, no melting but it sure did make a difference. I was leading our pack and I was no longer flooded out by the lights behind me!

#29 ·
I think he said in an earlier post that he was going with the 894 because it had almost twice the lumens. I think I will pick up some this week.

#35 ·
Went to the local NAPA to pickup the bulbs and they only had one in stock, two I would have bought but one wasn't worth it.

#36 ·
My napa didn't have them either! I paid ordered and then they shipped them to me when their truck was out.

#37 ·
I guess my HID's are not doing me any good sitting on the shelf! Time to install them!

#38 ·
Done! What a difference! Volt gage barely moves when turned on, thinking about the LED's for the factory low beams! Found another 29 dollar HID kit, bulbs and harness included. I think I'll wait for our night riding in NH before making anymore changes!

#40 ·
Good Buy, I'd do it again! You aim low, and I'll aim high!

#41 ·
I replace my 881 bulbs with the 894's, amazing the difference 10 watts and 400 lumens can make.:)

#43 ·
assume those are LED bulb numbers ??????

#42 ·
Lighting is a PITA on these machines! 28 amps total is not a lot to play with! 334 watts total! The stock headlights use 108 watts with hi, and low beams on. I installed the HID's and did not have any issues with them, now going to try LED's in the housing in order to simplify the wiring.

#44 ·
#46 ·
thanks too

#45 ·
Good to know! Thanks Scot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.