1 way bearing question?? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

1 way bearing question??

So I see chatter about eliminating the 1 way bearing and don't understand the procedure! Can someone "explain to me in detail" what this involves? What takes the place of the 1 way bearing? Thanks in advance.

2010 XTZ 1000..... HCR Suspension, 6" lift, King Racing Series Shocks, Summer's Brothers Racing Axles, Beard Seats, Tiger Tracks, A/C Hinged Windshield, Custom Light Bar by Butch, Custom 1/2 Doors by Butch. What's next ???
My friends call me Butch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:51 AM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Can do Butch! AC issued a notice regarding the one way bearing. I'm old school, so if it is not needed, it is out of there. You have to remove then outer, and inner clutch covers to get to it. Draining the oil is a must! Once the inner cover is removed you can take the bearing off, it justs sits on the clutch hub! Those things are listed at 80 dollars or so! I like my Prowler better without the bearing, less noise, and one less thing to fail! LOL

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
Can do Butch! AC issued a notice regarding the one way bearing. I'm old school, so if it is not needed, it is out of there. You have to remove then outer, and inner clutch covers to get to it. Draining the oil is a must! Once the inner cover is removed you can take the bearing off, it justs sits on the clutch hub! Those things are listed at 80 dollars or so! I like my Prowler better without the bearing, less noise, and one less thing to fail! LOL
RD........You say it sits on the clutch hub? Is it not behind the inner plate on the shaft? So what keeps the oil from coming into the clutch housing?

2010 XTZ 1000..... HCR Suspension, 6" lift, King Racing Series Shocks, Summer's Brothers Racing Axles, Beard Seats, Tiger Tracks, A/C Hinged Windshield, Custom Light Bar by Butch, Custom 1/2 Doors by Butch. What's next ???
My friends call me Butch

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 02:00 PM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

The clutch is exposed to oil. The oil is sealed by the inner cover. Once you pull the inner cover, the clutch housing is also pulled. There is the left hand nut on the crankshaft, and the bearing rides on the hub. It will not allow reverse rotation. No need to undo the nut unless you to pull the wet clutch

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
The clutch is exposed to oil. The oil is sealed by the inner cover. Once you pull the inner cover, the clutch housing is also pulled. There is the left hand nut on the crankshaft, and the bearing rides on the hub. It will not allow reverse rotation. No need to undo the nut unless you to pull the wet clutch
I've never been inside the inner cover! So behind the outer cover is a secondary clutch and a drive clutch, belt driven, correct? Then behind the inner cover there is another clutch???

My friends call me Butch

Last edited by catman2; 10-19-2016 at 04:38 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 07:09 PM

Garage
Yep behind the inner cover is the "wet" clutch. On the hub of that clutch is the one way bearing. I got Rid of mine at the same time as the clutch kit, and there are no adverse affects.
catman2 likes this.

2012 Prowler HDX, 29"Big Horns, Commander UTV tracks, Curtis plow, 4000lb winch, Optima yellow top battery, Shark 1000 watt stereo, Sirius radio, LED lights, EBC Brakes, K&N filter, Outerwares prefilter, One way bearing delete & EPI clutch kit, EPI extreme duty belt
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:35 PM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Garage
Yep, your primary and secondary clutch are behind the outer cover, pull the next cover and you have the wet clutch, here's a pic of the wet clutch disassembled. I haven't pulled my one-way yet but I really should.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-05 13.55.22.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	42217  
catman2 likes this.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 10:53 PM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Wet Clutch has its Pro's, and Con's : Belt life is extended, and smoother take off, downside is performance tradeoff. I thought about a Wet Clutch Delete kit, but decided not to.
catman2 likes this.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Will be getting after this job today!

My friends call me Butch
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 07:31 AM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

I think the results will both surprise you, and please you! Good modification, and no dollar outlay! What is not to like! You have my number if you have any problems!

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement