Prowler Licensing and Fees in Colorado - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Question Prowler Licensing and Fees in Colorado

Just new to forum today and sure this has been asked before. Where can I find authoritative info on Licensing my new Prowler in Colorado, along with fee requirements????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 02:51 PM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Welcome to the forum! Good question! I'd start with local law enforcement for input. I'm in Michigan and we register our machines with the Michigan Secretary of State. Sure wish the registration/license requirements were consistent across all of the states, but then it would be federal and they would screw everything up! LOL!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 06:25 AM
Loyal Member

on line at the DMV site best bet ... all though the newest laws might not be well known there

in Nevada there are newer laws on the books and not all police dept. are following them and many bad answers at DMV about the use of UTV's on secondary roads .... up to you to be aware and on top the laws , so uf there are newer laws suggest printing them off the site and keeping a copy in the ditty bag / glove box .... here size of the towns population determines where you can use the secondary streets legally

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Since posting, spoke to Colorado DMV. Colorado does NOT license UTVs for other than trails in parks. ....not too happy with this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 08:13 AM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Garage
Welcome to the site. Our town lets us buy an annual permit for $15 to drive on streets inside the city limits, nothing for the county roads outside the limits. Since we're a farm community and some farmers use UTV's to check livestock I can get by with a triangle on the rear to drive gravel roads without too much of an issue. There was a large group of RZR's riding the county roads that might find themselves in trouble if they get caught and since they posted it on Facebook they just might.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 01:29 PM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Since posting, spoke to Colorado DMV. Colorado does NOT license UTVs for other than trails in parks. ....not too happy with this.
I'm fortunate on two counts in Michigan, one I was able to license my Prowler for the streets (Michigan has since banned this practice, but grandfathered all UTV's currently licensed), and two there has been a growing movement to allow atv/utvs to ride on secondary roads. About 60% of the Michigan counties have an ordinance on their books allowing secondary street use.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
That is pretty much the way it is here in OK. There are lots of nice off road parks and trails, although none close to me.

State law provides the towns/cities can pass ordinances that allow golf cars and ATV/UTVs on the roads within the town limits (closest one to me is 25 miles way). State law also allows the crossing (at 90 degrees) of certain roadways to get from one trail across to another, during daylight hours.

None of this does me any good as I am relegated to riding on my own property, which I limit only certain areas where I mow, due to the risk of igniting a wildfire in the wild areas. Even if I ventured out on the county roads or the State made it legal to drive on secondary roads, there is no place for me to go.... as in lots of sand, dust, and sagebrush (that is what is on the roadway. It gets worse off road...lol. . This is most of the reason I have only 265 miles on the odometer (however, that IS a lot of trips to my mailbox and back).

Terry
2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 Baja - ITP beadlock wheels, ITP Baja Cross X/D tires, 2" wheel spacers, harness bar, 5 point harnesses, custom doors, 4 Vision X Solo Solstice LED lights, 2 PIAA halogen lights, multiple RAM mounts on roll bar and dash, polished aluminum rear frame brace, inside tube rear frame stiffeners, Mossy Oak camo pattern seats, custom front brush guard, parking brake 'on' alarm, Throttlemaxx controller, Uni pre-filter, and Mobil 1 M/C 10W-40, synthetic, oil with K&N filter.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 04:58 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
I just come back from Colorado,looks like there would be plenty of riding

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 06:23 AM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3 View Post
I just come back from Colorado,looks like there would be plenty of riding
so close and yet so far , you could have spent a few more hours and come out here and had the pleasure of shaking my hand

just kidding
de3 likes this.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us

Last edited by GTroyer; 11-07-2016 at 05:57 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 08:52 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTroyer View Post
so close and yet so far , you could have spend a few more hours and come out here and had the pleasure of shaking my hand

just kidding
I will be out next year also.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement