To rebuild or buy a rebuilt engine? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

To rebuild or buy a rebuilt engine?

So I know our Prowler is in need of a rebuild but I have never rebuilt a motor before. Hoping it is just the top end but there is a knock, it is consuming a bit of oil, I just replaced the airbox after finding a hole through the intake side and I had some grayish\black goop float up while filling the radiator yesterday.

The engine starts fine in the garage but is harder to start outside. It was running fine since we picked it up used last fall but has gone down hill this fall.

So now with just dropping a lot of money on a new V-Plow we are wondering about trying to rebuild it myself or just buying a rebuilt 700 engine for $2500?

Martin

2011 Arctic Cat Prowler HDX700 (bought used)
3,200 mi 401 hours
King Shocks
SnowEx V-Plow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 02:24 PM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

I saw several rebuilt in that price range. looked like a good deal. If you go that route, you can recoup some costs selling your old engine components. Breaking it down, new cylinder and piston 500-600 dollars, Crank if needed is another 400-500, trans parts depending what is needed add another 200-300, so from a financial stand point you would be better to buy a rebuilt unit. I was somewhat conservative on the numbers!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwShoot View Post
So I know our Prowler is in need of a rebuild but I have never rebuilt a motor before. Hoping it is just the top end but there is a knock, it is consuming a bit of oil, I just replaced the airbox after finding a hole through the intake side and I had some grayish\black goop float up while filling the radiator yesterday.

The engine starts fine in the garage but is harder to start outside. It was running fine since we picked it up used last fall but has gone down hill this fall.

So now with just dropping a lot of money on a new V-Plow we are wondering about trying to rebuild it myself or just buying a rebuilt 700 engine for $2500?
****I had some grayish\black goop float up while filling the radiator yesterday. Plus the coolant leaking to the drain from the previous post.****

Sounds like a classic case of Blownheadgasketitis to me. leaking coolant out of the engine and letting oil into the cooling system.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Bestop soft cab, soft top, wind buster & cargo cover. Dyna FX CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and front console, EPI 2" lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats with heated covers. SteerLite bushings. 28x10 Raceline Bruisers on Vision 158 14X8 rims, on all 4 corners. Cowling heat vents w/fan. Factory heat and defrost. RD Custom's alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop, Monster shock covers, turn signals... for now.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 05:25 AM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
****I had some grayish\black goop float up while filling the radiator yesterday. Plus the coolant leaking to the drain from the previous post.****

Sounds like a classic case of Blownheadgasketitis to me. leaking coolant out of the engine and letting oil into the cooling system.

ad to above the hard starting issue

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 05:40 AM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

I'd also agree on the head gasket. I use a motorcycle cooling system test kit. I put 12 psi on the system and let it sit for a couple of hours. I check all the connections for air bubbles and so on. After that is done and no pressure loss is noted I start the motor. If the gasket is blown the pressure gage will show it! I found my kit on ebay for 39 dollars! Best money I've spent on a cheap tool! Also use it to bleed the system!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Checked on that motor and found out it is from a shop here in WI and only about 1.5 hours away. Waiting on reply to see if it would be cheaper to just drop mine off for a rebuild. Over strained my right elbow cleaning up after dropping 10 trees a couple weeks back and have to finish installing more cabinets and countertop in the work shop. No Room and no time at the moment with snow fast approaching! LOL

Martin

3,200 mi 401 hours
King Shocks
SnowEx V-Plow
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

May be getting my hands on a Complete rebuilt 2017 700 HDX motor for about what it would cost to have a worse case scenario rebuild on my own. Tech needed to make some calls to make sure it would work in the 2011.

No idea what all is wrong with mine, but after finding the whole in the airbox and seeing the crap this motor had built up in the throttle body I can just imagine what the cylinder and pistol look like let alone the head, valves, and who knows what may have also leaked down into the engine case.

*Fingers crossed*

Martin

3,200 mi 401 hours
King Shocks
SnowEx V-Plow
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 04:33 AM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Hopefully it will work for you! I would think it would drop right in, and plug into your electrics! Been watching rebuilt motors on ebay, all seem to have the same new parts list!

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 07:06 AM

If it was me, I would swap it out and send the old motor to RD for a for a tear down/rebuild. I'm always looking for a spare 650 to send to him. I know mine's gonna need rebuilt at some point in time. May as well be proactive and have a spare ready to go in, since I'll be keeping this for a long time.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Bestop soft cab, soft top, wind buster & cargo cover. Dyna FX CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and front console, EPI 2" lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats with heated covers. SteerLite bushings. 28x10 Raceline Bruisers on Vision 158 14X8 rims, on all 4 corners. Cowling heat vents w/fan. Factory heat and defrost. RD Custom's alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop, Monster shock covers, turn signals... for now.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Appointment has been made for Monday, that 2017 Prowler 700 motor is mine. They will swap the motor for me for $500 including Oil, antifreeze flush,and the basics. Of course being a 2011 if they run into a bunch of rusty bolts and such the cost will have to go up.

Then at the end after the appointment setup he mentioned they like to keep fresh stock so they may buy back my damaged engine.

Question is, what price should I hand it over for or keep it for a future rebuild.

Also curious what they had to rebuild on this 2017 700? Didn`the get a chance to ask that part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement