XTZ 1000 Engine Trans Swap or Fix - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

XTZ 1000 Engine Trans Swap or Fix

Hey everyone. New to the group. Great forum guys, tons of great information.

I have a 2009 AC Prowler XTZ 1000 with a transmission issue, current motor still runs great but has secondary trans problem (I think), might be thrust washer failure, not sure, trans goes into gear after some playing with and once in gear, forward or reverse, it runs perfect, no slipping or grinding, however to get into reverse again or vice versa is sometimes an issue.

1. Can or should I try to fix this trans or is it a ticking time bomb and I am throwing away money? Just pony up for a new generation setup?

2. Will a 2011 motor and trans fit in my machine and be plug and play? I have found a low mileage motor and trans for around $3K.

Thanks for everyone's help with this it is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 04:27 AM

First thing to check is the idle, if just a tad too fast, it will do the same thing. I think 1250 rpm's is the magic number, above that, good luck getting them in gear. That's where I would start, then maybe look a bent shift fork? Gary, what do you think?
cram1234 likes this.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Bestop soft cab, soft top, wind buster & cargo cover. Dyna FX CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and front console, EPI 2" lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats with heated covers. SteerLite bushings. 28x10 Raceline Bruisers on Vision 158 14X8 rims, on all 4 corners. Cowling heat vents w/fan. Factory heat and defrost. RD Custom's alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop, Monster shock covers, turn signals... for now.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 05:04 AM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Welcome to the site! Great people on here! Suggest taking the shift cable off at the trans and try shifting by hand, if that works look at replacing the cable. The newer model engine should be a plug and play swap. Electrical connections are pretty much inter changeable.
cram1234 likes this.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 05:45 AM
Loyal Member

shift cable has been found to be an issue , it's been found that the cable alignment / routing has caused difficult shifts as well as wrong gear selection

suggest looking at the manual and adjusting the cable and that might need rerouting included with that.

also very noisy transmissions are somewhat common on the first year[s] models .... mine since day one has been very noisy to the point of obnoxious and wonder when it will blow up near 6000 miles later it's still loud and working well ... and IF yours has not been heat proofed yet you'll find it VERY hot in the cabin, dynamat the dog house helps that ..... read old threads using the search option and you'll see many posts about that issue.

welcome to the house cram1234

also suggest you fill in your profile and location to aid us in further questions ... so we don't have to ask a question before we answer you question .... read newby instruction in my signature below also
Retired1 and cram1234 like this.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Responses to replies

Thank you everyone for the quick responses. You have given me some great information so far.

Some additional information that may help diagnose. If the machine is in drive, to get it into reverse, I can go forward 2-3 feet and stab the brakes hard, then it will shift into reverse and vice versa. Weird. Does anyone know why that might happen?

1. All, I have already disconnected the shift cable and shifted manually. Made sure it was solidly in gear and tried it in forward and reverse. I made no difference and getting it into gear was still an issue. Cable / routing is not the issue.

2. Bryan, I will definitely try to adjust the idle to see if this helps, makes sense and would be an easy fix. Fingers crossed, hopefully can try sometime this week.

3. Hoping it is not a bent shift fork or internal issue, not looking forward to splitting cases at this point but will have to if necessary.

4. GTroyer, You are right about the transmission noise and heat in the cabin, all tolerable as long as I know mine is not the only one, wife compared it to a Sherman tank, couldn't argue. Dynamat is definitely on the to do list.

Thats all for right now thanks again.

Last edited by cram1234; 06-14-2017 at 08:08 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

2011 Prowler XTZ 1000 swap into a 2009 XTZ

Just want to keep this question out there as well in case I need to got this route.

Is a 2011 Prowler XTZ 1000 swap into a 2009 XTZ plug and play? Has anyone done it? If so what needs to be changed?

Thanks again for the help.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram1234 View Post
Just want to keep this question out there as well in case I need to got this route.

Is a 2011 Prowler XTZ 1000 swap into a 2009 XTZ plug and play? Has anyone done it? If so what needs to be changed?

Thanks again for the help.
FYI .. only a few of us XTZ's on here and even fewer active guys

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up GTroyer, all your feedback is appreciated.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:55 AM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

AC has a different part number on the 2011 engine assembly. Electrical connections, or components should be easy to swap from one motor to the other.
cram1234 likes this.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Fairmont79. That is what I thought as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement