Broke spider gear pin - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum

Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum

Broke spider gear pin

This is a discussion on Broke spider gear pin within the Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions forums, part of the The Garage category; Got a used spider gear from a mudpro and ground out the pin to use in mine but theres a
Go Back   Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum > The Garage > Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions

Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

Sponsored by: Gearhead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

RyansCat Is on a distinguished trail
Default Broke spider gear pin

Got a used spider gear from a mudpro and ground out the pin to use in mine but theres a difference. My old pin is clearly grroved for some reason, maybe to hold the gears in place? Looks like there were remnants of a tiny snap ring maybe. The pin sent to me is smooth. You can tell from the pic that the pin broke where the grooves are, wonder if they quit making them grooved because of this? I'm trying to find out the year of the bike the spider gear came out of.
Attached Thumbnails
Broke spider gear pin-spider-gear-pin-041.jpg  
RyansCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

team arctic Is on a distinguished trail

go ahead and use the pin you got.the pin is what holds the gears in place,ive never seen any snap rings in any of the ones ive had apart.you should be good to go with what you have.just make sure you put the cover over everything like i showed you.
team arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

team arctic, what holds the needle bearings on the end of the pinion gear? I know the big ball bearing is pressed on but what about that needle bearing?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanscat View Post
team arctic, what holds the needle bearings on the end of the pinion gear? I know the big ball bearing is pressed on but what about that needle bearing?
its pressed into the case,itl be a bitch to get out.you will prolly have to grind a small slit length wise in it,then it will come right out.sometimes there is enuf showing on the end so you can drive it out with a punch,but there normally pretty tight.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

How you makin it with that diff rebuild?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by team arctic View Post
How you makin it with that diff rebuild?
I'm trying to come up with a tool to get the pinion nut out. I just can't pay $90 for a single use (hopefully) socket. Think I got that figured out now. I've got a 1 7/8 nut that i'm going to weld to a pipe, then a nut on the other end of the pipe. Saw that on highlifter. The other thing holding me up is getting the old vent tube out of my old case. I forgot to order one and Babbitts wants $22 just to ship it. I put the spider gear pin in today and had it welded so thats ready to go. If I can get that nut off and salvage my pinion gear I should be ready to reassemble this weekend.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyansCat View Post
I'm trying to come up with a tool to get the pinion nut out. I just can't pay $90 for a single use (hopefully) socket. Think I got that figured out now. I've got a 1 7/8 nut that i'm going to weld to a pipe, then a nut on the other end of the pipe. Saw that on highlifter. The other thing holding me up is getting the old vent tube out of my old case. I forgot to order one and Babbitts wants $22 just to ship it. I put the spider gear pin in today and had it welded so thats ready to go. If I can get that nut off and salvage my pinion gear I should be ready to reassemble this weekend.
your also putting the cover on the carrier i hope!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by team arctic View Post
your also putting the cover on the carrier i hope!
Got the nut out, had to get a little more Mcgyver with my pinion tool. All that trouble and I think my pinion is screwed anyway. Its burred up on the end where the old bearing came apart. The needle bearing doesn't have an inner race so I don't think I can use it. Looks like i'll have to order a new pinion anyway. Check out my pinion tool:
Attached Thumbnails
Broke spider gear pin-halloween-034.jpg  
Old 11-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

sneaky snake Is on a distinguished trail

That's using your head Doug, The main thing is that it works.
front brush gard (fabrication by me)
beard seats
crow harnes (4 point)
lower tail light
epi clutch kit
soft top
full wind sheild
e brake alarm (utv crap)
horn
sound proof engine cover
warn winch
trail armor doors