how to install camshaft correctly. - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum

Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum

how to install camshaft correctly.

This is a discussion on how to install camshaft correctly. within the Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions forums, part of the The Garage category; Ok I'm going to put the top end back together tonight but need some clarification ..... I know how to
Go Back   Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum > The Garage > Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions

Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

Sponsored by: Gearhead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

RedDesertCat Is on a distinguished trail
Default how to install camshaft correctly.

Ok I'm going to put the top end back together tonight but need some clarification .....

I know how to physically install everything back together. What I don't know is how to install the can so its timed correctly. Are there markings on the upper and lower timing chain gears? Do the markings face each other, like a small block Chevy? There must be some marks so that the motor is on top dead center and cam goes in straight up.

Help would be appreciated, so this goes together smoothly. Just don't want to mess anything up by winging it....lol

Thanks.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler 650XT, 26" Bighorns ITP 108SS wheels, 2" billet wheel spacers, 2-seater race cage, aluminum top, custom aluminum side door panels, 7" HID's, Racecraft suspension seats with SIMPSON 5-point harnesses, cd player with speakers in dash, XM radio.
RedDesertCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rides all the time

riddler28 Is on a distinguished trail

Best advise I got is get a manual it is all right there with pic's and very detailed.
I downloaded mine from a link on the site.
riddler28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mustanggeek Is on a distinguished trail

Manual. They have it all there.
Mustanggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Loyal Member

flying121 Looked up to

If I remember correctly if you take the allen bolt out of the Stator cover on the top you can look in there with a light and as you turn the motor you will see a line and a mark indicating the front or the rear cylinder top dead center. It is in the manual though. I think it has an F and an R respectivley for each cylinder. Once you find out please remind us with a follow up. Thanks
flying121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rides all the time

He is working on a 650.

Pull out the allen bolt like flying121 said turn over the motor until the line on the flywheel line up with the indicator on the case where the bolt was removed.
That is TDC.
Install the cam lobes facing down. There will be a line across the cam that should be lined up with the head / tappit cover mating surface "horizontal".
You will need to work the chain and cam gear around to get all this correct.
Then install the chain guide once you have it all together then release your chain tensioner and double check your refrence mark on the cam to head and your timing mark on the flywheel.

It is easy but the book lays it out real nice thats why I suggested it. It also has all the torq values listed as well.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

RedDesertCat Is on a distinguished trail
Default figured it out...

thanks for all the responses. I was at work when I posted this thread and could not open the service manual to check. Riddler28 is right, it tells you step by step how to install everything.

I got the whole top end together tonight minus a few valve cover bolts Im still looking for
Still waiting on the oil pump and secondary clutch shoes which should come in tomorrow from UPS so I can finish putting the side of the motor back together.

So if everything goes right maybe this thing will fire up tomorrow night....got my fingers crossed. Hopefully my next post will have some good news.

Thanks again
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler 650XT, 26" Bighorns ITP 108SS wheels, 2" billet wheel spacers, 2-seater race cage, aluminum top, custom aluminum side door panels, 7" HID's, Racecraft suspension seats with SIMPSON 5-point harnesses, cd player with speakers in dash, XM radio.
RedDesertCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rides all the time

Yeah the book lay's the cam install out real nice.
Good luck with the remaining part of the job.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Subitus Is on a distinguished trail
Default 180 degree wrong on bottom end?

Hi everyone!

Sorry for stealing this tread but its allmost in the same area. I have gone thru the workshop manual but didn't find anything on the bottom end.

Anyway, I'm a rookie at Prowlertalk, new to this forum. I'm from Europe / Sweden, got my hands on a used 2008 Prowler XT 650 h1 a year ago.
I got a bit confused reading this tread, I'm about to put my engine back together (top end). I had some issues with poor idling and backfiring, teared of the head and found lots of coagulated/burned oil stuck on the intake valves. I'm waiting for the head/cylinder to return from the engine shop so I can assemble it back. Depending on verdict from the mechanic💸

My concern right now is that I might have rotated the crank one turn whilst removing the piston and fiddling with the chain. Since its a four stroke it fires every second rotation, right? Is there any way to see if the crank is in the tdc on the compression stroke? Beside mounting all up and test start? 50/50 chance😁

Ignition plate/rotor is kinda well hidden to see if its 180 degrees wrong ...

Please get me back on the road!

John from Sweden (land of Bjorn Borg, Blond women's, Ikea and meatballs)
Subitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
de3
Super Moderator

de3 A ride leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subitus View Post
Hi everyone!

Sorry for stealing this tread but its allmost in the same area. I have gone thru the workshop manual but didn't find anything on the bottom end.

Anyway, I'm a rookie at Prowlertalk, new to this forum. I'm from Europe / Sweden, got my hands on a used 2008 Prowler XT 650 h1 a year ago.
I got a bit confused reading this tread, I'm about to put my engine back together (top end). I had some issues with poor idling and backfiring, teared of the head and found lots of coagulated/burned oil stuck on the intake valves. I'm waiting for the head/cylinder to return from the engine shop so I can assemble it back. Depending on verdict from the mechanic💸

My concern right now is that I might have rotated the crank one turn whilst removing the piston and fiddling with the chain. Since its a four stroke it fires every second rotation, right? Is there any way to see if the crank is in the tdc on the compression stroke? Beside mounting all up and test start? 50/50 chance😁

Ignition plate/rotor is kinda well hidden to see if its 180 degrees wrong ...

Please get me back on the road!

John from Sweden (land of Bjorn Borg, Blond women's, Ikea and meatballs)
Hang in there we have a member on here that rebuilt his motor,he will be a big help,you can P/M him his name is outwest.
06 XT.Dynotek, pumper carb,looney tune duals,trail armor doors,diamond back bed cover,coolflo windshield,auto meter oil pressure,water temp,volt gauge, console,custom steering wheel,epi clutch kit,king shocks,rear diff mod, steering stabilizer,Ricochet A-Arm guards,Xentec Hids H/L beam,XTZ scoop LED light bar.A/C flares,TypeI fuses, Snorkel kit with pre-Filter, 4-wheel Disc Brakes,Dust shield,CVT Fan,A/C Back cover,steerlite bushings, Belt Temp Gauge,Rugged Radio, STI BEAD LOCKS,2'' lift.
de3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

mlh1962 A ride leader

I'm not sure where you are in the assembly process but if your far enough along you can put your finger in the spark plug hole and feel the compression stroke.
'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge (a little late), Sedona Rip Saw tires, fuel line check valve, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Bestop Duster Bed Cover, Bestop Element Doors, 2" Highlifter lift kit.
Mike (the one from Missouri )
mlh1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement