clutch stuck? - Page 2 - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum

Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum

clutch stuck?

This is a discussion on clutch stuck? within the Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions forums, part of the The Garage category; Originally Posted by SUPER_DURTY You will need to remove both cvt clutches then the inner cover....drain oil first. Once you
Go Back   Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum > The Garage > Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions

Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

Sponsored by: Gearhead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rides all the time

out west A ride leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER_DURTY View Post
You will need to remove both cvt clutches then the inner cover....drain oil first. Once you have the inner cover off you will see a 1 way bearing on your internal wet clutch. remove the left hand threaded nut and remove the one way bearing all together if you dont care for engine breaking...or replace it ith new... the green dot must face out.
I don't think you have to remove the wet clutch nut to remove the one way bearing, at least if my memory serves me well. I believe that bearing slides over that assembly. Don't have my pictures in front of me, but I think that is correct.

-2006 AC Prowler 650XT -- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage, and eventually a 4-seater
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
out west is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
JLM

JLM Is on a distinguished trail
Default back to work on prowler

Thanks for the responses. prowler got put away, finally gettin time to work on it. downloaded manual. are aftermarket parts good or should I go thru arctic cat? got manual from K&T parts house. is there a stonger battery available that fits in the factory box?
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

TBird Looked up to

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLM View Post
on mine you can hold the brake down & start it in gear
My 2010 will start like that as well.
TBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Daryle_TN Is on a distinguished trail

JLM.. For me it depends on what the part is. I only use Arctic Cat brand when it comes to things like the CVT belt, oil,.. basically the major stuff. For the battery here's the one I have and some others do to. It's a great battery and fits in the factory location.. Sealed Lead Acid Batteries: Odyssey PC680 - 12V 16Ah Power Sports Motorcycle ATV Battery: BatteryClerk.com They're a little pricey but IMO the best battery for an ATV you can get. And mine will start in gear with the brake on. Like someone said earlier if your idle is to high when you start the machine it WILL move and if your start it in nuetral it will be very hard, if not impossible, to get it to go into gear. I would definetely try adjusting the idle down before I started pulling the clutch. Very simple to do and you will know in 5 min if that's the problem or not.
1.5: Snorkels
Dyna FS Ignition
AMR Monster Coil
Highlifter 2in Lift
Highlifter 1in Wheelspacers
Custom Roll Cage
Trail Armor Doors
Intellitronix Oil, Temp, and Volt Gauges
RickTheRocket UHMW Bushings all around
Superwinch Terra 3500
Papa Slap Stage 3 Clutching with Fix Plate Mod
Daryle_TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Jounior Member

blowinsoot00 Is on a distinguished trail

a high idle wouldnt make noises upon startup though, also a high idle wouldnt wouldnt cause the prowler to die when put into gear. il throw down ten bucks if its not the one way...
09 xtx- custom fox 2.0 air shocks- bighorn tires- custom paint- 4 seat cage built by me- soft top- twisted stitch seats- half doors- intake built by me- magnaflow exhaust built by me- carillo 4 point harnesses all around- 5 h.i.d.'s- clutch kit- dynatek- no more turf saver...tig welded now- 2" wheel spacers- ss-212 rims in black-
blowinsoot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
de3
Super Moderator

de3 A ride leader
Default one way bearing

DJ,did you take out your one way bearing,and the only thing you would lose is the engine brake.
06 XT.Dynotek, pumper carb,looney tune duals,trail armor doors,diamond back bed cover,coolflo windshield,auto meter oil pressure,water temp,volt gauge, console,custom steering wheel,epi clutch kit,king shocks,rear diff mod, steering stabilizer,Ricochet A-Arm guards,Xentec Hids H/L beam,XTZ scoop LED light bar.A/C flares,TypeI fuses, Snorkel kit with pre-Filter, 4-wheel Disc Brakes,Dust shield,CVT Fan,A/C Back cover,steerlite bushings, Belt Temp Gauge,Rugged Radio, STI BEAD LOCKS,2'' lift.
de3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Texas XTZ Is on a distinguished trail

I'm with blownsoot. If you get it moving and just stop it with the brake a high idle wouldnt make the motor die. But is easy to do. Sounds like something more serous to me.
Texas XTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Jounior Member

blowinsoot00 Is on a distinguished trail

yeah i pulled mine out when i put the stiffer epi springs in the wet clutch, just pull the inner clutch housing off, and you will see the bearing, has a green or blue dot on the outside if i remember correctly. i took mine out and the only difference i noticed was from maybe 3-4mph down the clutch just freewheels so theres no engine braking from 4mph-0mph, no big deal for me, plus i wont have the headache from worrying about it seizing later down the road.
09 xtx- custom fox 2.0 air shocks- bighorn tires- custom paint- 4 seat cage built by me- soft top- twisted stitch seats- half doors- intake built by me- magnaflow exhaust built by me- carillo 4 point harnesses all around- 5 h.i.d.'s- clutch kit- dynatek- no more turf saver...tig welded now- 2" wheel spacers- ss-212 rims in black-
blowinsoot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #19 (permalink)

Daryle_TN Is on a distinguished trail

I agree DJ... guess I didn't read his post closely enough. A high idle would only cause about half of his problems, but not the other ones...
1.5: Snorkels
Dyna FS Ignition
AMR Monster Coil
Highlifter 2in Lift
Highlifter 1in Wheelspacers
Custom Roll Cage
Trail Armor Doors
Intellitronix Oil, Temp, and Volt Gauges
RickTheRocket UHMW Bushings all around
Superwinch Terra 3500
Papa Slap Stage 3 Clutching with Fix Plate Mod
Daryle_TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
JLM

JLM Is on a distinguished trail
Default might leave one-way out

I found the problem- its the one way clutch. The 'rollers' had flat spots on them and the inner & outer races were rough. Don't see why it would go bad so fast - only 200 hours / 600 miles on machine. So if I leave it out I will still have engine braking above about 5mph?
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement