Break-in after Rebuild before moving to plow duty - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Performance Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Break-in after Rebuild before moving to plow duty

So I'm curious what type of break-in I should do when I get the Prowler back from the engine rebuild before mounting up the V-Plow and putting it into heavy workloads?

Hate to hurt a fresh motor due to skipping a break-in process and need to plan ahead. Predator was 1 hour, Sportsman were like 500miles.

Sounded like the Prowler was 100mi? Going to be hard due to it being winter, family hates riding in the winter, so it will be lonely drives. .

Martin

2011 Arctic Cat Prowler HDX700 (bought used)
3,200 mi 401 hours
King Shocks
SnowEx V-Plow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 12:08 PM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Garage
The manual says 10 hours or 200 miles for a new or overhauled engine.

Break-in after Rebuild before moving to plow duty-capture.jpg

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 12:36 PM

Lots of differing opinions on that. Really, I think your rings will seat after about 10 minutes. Most people recommend varying throttle, nothing wide open for the first few rides, then drive like you normally would. Others I have heard say to drive it hard. I've never done that.

Ron

2011 HDX 700 - CoolFlo windshield, brush guard, Warn winch, hard top, Clarion CD player, amp, Kicker speaker bar, AC rear view mirror, AC storage bag, auxiliary battery with crossover, GBC Grim Reapers.
2007 Suzuki Eiger
2009 Joylaris 400

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 07:30 PM

The guys rebuilding it should be able to tell you how they would expect it to be broken in, for warranty purposes. I'm sure the shop will pre-oil and run it for awhile to bleed the cooling system and make sure it runs good. Hope it runs good for ya!

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Bestop soft cab, soft top, wind buster & cargo cover. Dyna FX CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and front console, EPI 2" lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats with heated covers. SteerLite bushings. 28x10 Raceline Bruisers on Vision 158 14X8 rims, on all 4 corners. Cowling heat vents w/fan. Factory heat and defrost. RD Custom's alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop, Monster shock covers, turn signals... for now.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 07:34 PM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Garage
I should have used that excuse when I put my engine in, "Honey I have to drive for 200 miles to break the engine in, I'll see you next week!"
de3 likes this.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 04:46 AM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Breaking mine in now, seating the rings, and making sure the cam and lifters are well lubed! I plan on plowing as soon as it snows again! My drive is small and it really doe's not put much of a load on my Prowler! I do subscribe to varying the speeds for break in!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
Breaking mine in now, seating the rings, and making sure the cam and lifters are well lubed! I plan on plowing as soon as it snows again! My drive is small and it really doe's not put much of a load on my Prowler! I do subscribe to varying the speeds for break in!
All of my boat motors are broken in the same way. I vary the speed from idle in the no wake zone, too WOT as soon as I'm in the channel. I HAMMER THEM! They are fired up on the dyno's and pushed to max RPM's at the factory to make sure they make the stated horsepower, before they are crated.... so what the hell! They are Pre-Broken in, I figure!

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Bestop soft cab, soft top, wind buster & cargo cover. Dyna FX CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and front console, EPI 2" lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats with heated covers. SteerLite bushings. 28x10 Raceline Bruisers on Vision 158 14X8 rims, on all 4 corners. Cowling heat vents w/fan. Factory heat and defrost. RD Custom's alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop, Monster shock covers, turn signals... for now.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 02:40 PM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Roller Bearing motors are pretty easy to break in, only thing is seating the rings, and watching to make sure the cam and lifters are getting oiled! Kinda like the driver's!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Sounds good, Still waiting on the motor rebuild. The Piston and cylinder have been stuck at the machinist for probably 3 weeks or more.

Bonus is Jason at Day's Powersports stays in contact giving me updates along the way. Called me Monday to say he finally received a timeline from the Machinist that the Piston and Cylinder should be shipping out today or tomorrow. Jason already has the rest of the motor rebuilt and ready so once it arrives, they just have to install the Piston, cylinder, mount the head/intake, then pull the machine back in for the reinstall.

Had them just do the rear u-joints for me since the motor was out.

Been extremely impressed especially from such a small yet efficient shop!

Going to be nice hearing the cat purr!!! No more squealing u-joints either!

Martin

2011 Arctic Cat Prowler HDX700 (bought used)
3,200 mi 401 hours
King Shocks
SnowEx V-Plow
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 02:14 PM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Communication from a shop is a good sign! Indicates customer service is important!

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement