Runs Rough, Cuts Out, and Sputters Under Strain - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum

Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum

Runs Rough, Cuts Out, and Sputters Under Strain

This is a discussion on Runs Rough, Cuts Out, and Sputters Under Strain within the Arctic Cat Prowler Performance Discussions forums, part of the The Garage category; Runs Rough, Cuts Out, and Sputters Under Load. I originally thought it was only doing this when i would run
Go Back   Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum > The Garage > Arctic Cat Prowler Performance Discussions

Arctic Cat Prowler Performance Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

sandy4bama Is on a distinguished trail
Default Runs Rough, Cuts Out, and Sputters Under Strain

Runs Rough, Cuts Out, and Sputters Under Load.
I originally thought it was only doing this when i would run through deep mudholes with water in them. But i noticed it wouldn't do it in deep water alone. Only in mudholes. Then i noticed today while going through a mudhole, as i started to give it more throttle in this thick mud while in 4wheel drive it started to bog down, cut out and barely would stay running. So its not the water. Its doing it under a strain. I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not, but my battery has also stopped charging. Let it set for any period of time and it has to be jumped off. Today the instrument panel wouldn't work and was only flashing VOLTS. Would this have anything to do with why its cutting out and missing under a strain? Somebody please help. It happens everytime i ride and its getting very aggrevating. Not to mention my buddies with there rhinos and tyrexs ragging me

07 Prowler 650 H1 XT
3000lb. Warn winch
2" lift by Highlifter
30" Silverbacks on 14" SS112's
FMF Powercore exhaust
Dynatech CDI box
rejetted with Jets R Us OEM jets
stage 1&2 by ///AIRDAM
clocked secondary to B3
19 gram rollers (red)
2" snorkel by me
chrome skull shifter
LED tail lights in bed by me
fog lights
roof
custom doors by me
custom removable rear cage by me & friends
sandy4bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

cat n hat Is on a distinguished trail

Well I would start with a new battery and go from there if you dont have volts you cant get spark.
cat n hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rides all the time

GTroyer Looked up to

do a load test on the battery, no sense spending $$ if it's not a bad one

any major retailer has load testers, and do free "tests" .... if the battery is bad and needs replacement I strongly recommend a Odyssey battery .. much better battery than the competition out there !!!!

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton added here and there
GTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

sandy4bama Is on a distinguished trail

went riding again yesturday and the battery was fine. It didn't say VOLTS anymore. I did nothing so i don't understand why it started working. Me and a friend of mine put a volt meter on the battery and its putting out 12.25 volts. Then i started it and it pulled down just for a second and then started charging. It think it was around 14 volts. Do yall think i might have a short somewhere or a loose connection?

07 Prowler 650 H1 XT
3000lb. Warn winch
2" lift by Highlifter
30" Silverbacks on 14" SS112's
FMF Powercore exhaust
Dynatech CDI box
rejetted with Jets R Us OEM jets
stage 1&2 by ///AIRDAM
clocked secondary to B3
19 gram rollers (red)
2" snorkel by me
chrome skull shifter
LED tail lights in bed by me
fog lights
roof
custom doors by me
custom removable rear cage by me & friends
sandy4bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Bug Out Is on a distinguished trail
Default flashing volts also

My 07 650 did the flashing Volts today. brought it home, as I unloaded it, no volts flashing..

Anyone have a possible idea?
Bug Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Triple J Is on a distinguished trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Out View Post
My 07 650 did the flashing Volts today. brought it home, as I unloaded it, no volts flashing..

Anyone have a possible idea?

When my 08 was doing this, the dealer found a loose cable while doing other work. If I remember right ( been quite awhile ago now) it was on the starter. Never saw the message again.

Check them all, including body grounds, to be safe.
27" Grim Reaper Tires/Home Made Roof/Arctic Cat Mirror/Quadboss Folding Windshield w/ home made support bar/LED Tail-Brake lights//Venom 4000 lb Winch/Amsteel synthetic line/Home Made Doors/Custom Adjustable Seats/Custom Oh Crap bar for passenger/Tonneau Cover/Fat Max storage Box in bed
Tiger Tail Towing system
Triple J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

sandchris Is on a distinguished trail

Sounds to me like you have the prowler grounds problems going on. You should have a good ground going from the battery to the frame and also a good ground going from the engine preferably to the same frame ground. I have had better luck tying these two main ones together to eliminate ground loop and ground isolation issues. And what has been posted before the positive needs to be good and tight. Also for you mud and water guys I would electric grease all positive and negative connections to keep the water and muck out. And I would especially grease plug in connections to keep the water out.
sandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

camperman Is on a distinguished trail
Default Runs rough

I have a 08 650 that spits and crackles and runs rough in reverse at half throttle and even if I rev it up in nuetral. It just started this. I replaced the spark plug. No help. Does anyone know what is causing this.
camperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

RyansCat Is on a distinguished trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperman View Post
I have a 08 650 that spits and crackles and runs rough in reverse at half throttle and even if I rev it up in nuetral. It just started this. I replaced the spark plug. No help. Does anyone know what is causing this.
Will it do it when you use the reverse overide switch?
RyansCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Triple J Is on a distinguished trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperman View Post

That is your rev limiter keeping you safe, If memory serves correctly the over ride button only works in 4 wheel drive.
27" Grim Reaper Tires/Home Made Roof/Arctic Cat Mirror/Quadboss Folding Windshield w/ home made support bar/LED Tail-Brake lights//Venom 4000 lb Winch/Amsteel synthetic line/Home Made Doors/Custom Adjustable Seats/Custom Oh Crap bar for passenger/Tonneau Cover/Fat Max storage Box in bed
Tiger Tail Towing system
Triple J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement