Wont stay running - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum

Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum

Wont stay running

This is a discussion on Wont stay running within the Member Introductions forums, part of the Member's Forums category; I have a 07 Prowler 650. Went for a ride Friday night, was acting sluggish going up hill. Got to
Go Back   Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum > Member's Forums > Member Introductions

Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

tlow Is on a distinguished trail
Default Wont stay running

I have a 07 Prowler 650. Went for a ride Friday night, was acting sluggish going up hill. Got to where we were going, shut it off. Started it when we were getting ready to leave, it ran for about 20 minutes and died. Really hard to start and once it did start it wont stay running. Plenty of fuel getting to the carb, its running out the overflow. Float bowl is ok, thinking maybe electronic choke. Anyone had the same problem or any suggestions??
tlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

hammerbike Is on a distinguished trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow View Post
I have a 07 Prowler 650. Went for a ride Friday night, was acting sluggish going up hill. Got to where we were going, shut it off. Started it when we were getting ready to leave, it ran for about 20 minutes and died. Really hard to start and once it did start it wont stay running. Plenty of fuel getting to the carb, its running out the overflow. Float bowl is ok, thinking maybe electronic choke. Anyone had the same problem or any suggestions??
If you have fuel running out the overflow, the float is stuck. GENTLY tap the float bowl casing on the carb, if the fuel stops flowing, you got it! Could be a very small piece of dirt stopping the float needle from seating properly also, same fix. Just remember, BE GENTLE!
Maxxis Ceros tires
Garmin GPS
Custom decals on hood, etc.
Chrome trucker girl emblems
1/2 windshield
Owner made bronze tint sunvisor
Owner made snorkel kit
Owner made rear fender well mod
Car horn
8 ball shifter knob
2 pc Hard Top
OEM Baja style spare tire mount
Custom embroidered spare tire cover
3000lb Warn winch w/remote
Cycle Country snowplow kit
hammerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

sandchris Is on a distinguished trail

X2 you should not have fuel running out the overflow.
sandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ya, that was an obvious problem that there was fuel coming out the overflow and it shouldnt be. Took the whole thing apart and the float is moving freely. It will start every now and then and run for a minute before it dies even if you are pushing the accelerator.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Ya, that was an obvious problem that there was fuel coming out the overflow and it shouldnt be. Took the whole thing apart and the float is moving freely. It will start every now and then and run for a minute before it dies even if you are pushing the accelerator.
The float assembly will/could move freely, but if there is a small (microscopic small) piece of debris stuck in the seat, it'll overfuel. Do you still have fuel running out the overflow? If you do, I still say it's a float/seat issue because the float needle and seat is not shutting off the fuel flow as it should when the float bowl is full. Seriously, just tap the float bowl area of the carb (while the fuel is running), if it stops you have either a "sticking" float, or a piece of dirt trapped in the float needle/seat area. When it is running are you getting black smoke out of the exhaust pipe when you rev it up (overfueling)? Does the engine oil smell like gasoline? Is the engine oil "thin and diluted" with fuel? Also check for a pinched vent line.
Maxxis Ceros tires
Garmin GPS
1/2 windshield
Owner made snorkel kit
Car horn
8 ball shifter knob
2 pc Hard Top
OEM Baja style spare tire mount
Custom embroidered spare tire cover
3000lb Warn winch w/remote
Cycle Country snowplow kit
hammerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks. Will mess with the float again tomorrow. I had the whole thing apart but will check it again. I have it tore down to the bare carb and can hold my hand over the air intake and it will start, run for a min and then die. But, it is smoking out the exhaust and smells like fuel really bad.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks. Will mess with the float again tomorrow. I had the whole thing apart but will check it again. I have it tore down to the bare carb and can hold my hand over the air intake and it will start, run for a min and then die. But, it is smoking out the exhaust and smells like fuel really bad.
It's flooding, that's why it takes your hand blocking the air inlet to get it to start. Black smoke and running rich (fuel smell) are all carb overfueling issues. Have you actually checked the adjustment/setting on the float hieght? I don't know what material the float is made of, but you may have to wiegh it to see if it's become saturated, or it may have a hole in it. Also, take a magnifying glass and inspect the needle and seat, if you can see ANY markings at all, it's done, replace it. Generally (not ALL the time) speaking if you have fuel running out the overflow and you give the bowl area a gentle tap and it stops, there is a piece of debris floating around in there. If you do get it to stop, remove the flaot bowl drain screw and let some fuel run through, it may wash away that piece of debris. The only thing that controls the fuel "flow", is the needle, seat and float.
Stick with it, you'll get it!
Maxxis Ceros tires
Garmin GPS
1/2 windshield
Owner made snorkel kit
Car horn
8 ball shifter knob
2 pc Hard Top