2008 prowler 700 xtx - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

2008 prowler 700 xtx

Grinding when going down steep hills
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 04:20 AM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Welcome to the site! Are the brakes being applied going down the steep hill? If so, it is more than likely the infamous rear brake chatter! This is a constant on Prowlers with the brake rotor on the rear drivetrain. Brake rotor could be warped, brake pads need replaced, anti-rattle spring is weak, or missing, or all of the above! If the brakes are not being applied, then the Oneway bearing could be the next suspected part! AC issued an advisory on the bearing that in certain conditions they recommend removing it. Heavy loading (steep hills!), plowing, or other adverse conditions. I removed mine (2009 XTX) about two years ago, eliminated a lot of noise and only a slight decline in engine braking.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

How do you remove one way bearing
I just got the bike a few weeks ago the motor was shot so I just got done putting a 700 out of a 2014 mud pro in it and it runs good the motor only had 500 miles on it I have not been in a clutch on one yet

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:15 AM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Not too bad of job. First I remove the seats, and the floor (gives you much more room, and you can see the frame and other obscured areas) then pull the outer clutch cover, and remove the primary, and secondary clutches (good Tips in the frequently asked questions area of this forum!) Once clutches are removed, drain the oil (might just as well change the filter now also!), then pull the inner cover off. The oneway bearing sits on the clutch hub. Now just reverse the process and you are good to go! I have two oneway bearings in my parts bin, and I'll never put one back in! What little bit of engine braking I've lost, I can gain back by blipping the throttle!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

10/4 you don't think my shift linkage is messed up do you
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 01:20 PM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Doubtful on the shift linkage, these things are either in gear or not, and when out of gear it will let you know! Also dash pod will light up an error message. I adjust mine in neutral, then try the gears. Linkage on these like all UTV's are stiff to operate. They have one heck of a spring for the shifter detents! These things do take time to learn what they like, and dislike! It took me a couple of months to learn my driving style, and what my machine liked! Once past that I got creative and started tearing it down every chance I got! LOL Learned a lot, and made it mine!

Either - Dick or RD
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Definitely the rear brake checked it this evening not sure what part but it the brake for sure don't know where those springs go so it might not even have them at all
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

So what do you suggest I try
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:07 PM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Garage
The springs hook to the brake pads and go around the caliper to hold tension on the pads, even with the springs mine rattled so I put a piece of 5/8" heater hose under the springs to tighten them up. It helps but I can still hear it sometimes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	42193  

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 03:16 AM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

For a quick look up of part numbers go into the Arctic Cat Store, all of the ROV years/models are listed. If you need to order parts try Babbitts in Michigan, they give about the best discount. Service Manuals are a must!

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement