noise when brake applied - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum

Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum

noise when brake applied

This is a discussion on noise when brake applied within the Member Introductions forums, part of the Member's Forums category; Hello to all. Nice to find a arctic cat forum. I have a new left over 2008 650xt and when
Go Back   Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum > Member's Forums > Member Introductions

Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Jackalope Is on a distinguished trail
Default noise when brake applied

Hello to all. Nice to find a arctic cat forum. I have a new left over 2008 650xt and when I apply the brakes a loud noise(rattle-clanking) seams to come from the rear axle. I notice the rear brake is on the drive line. is this part of the problem? If so how is it repaired?

Thanks for any help.
Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mustanggeek Is on a distinguished trail

You know mine does it too....not sure what the noise is.
Mustanggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Founding Member

Desertcat A ride leader

Mine is not noticeable. My friend next door has a Rhino and it makes a really ugly noise when he stops. I would check your pads and mounding hard ware, look and see if you have a bent rotor. I think AC came out with a rotor update but with an 08 machine you would think they have fixed that already.

Welcome to the forum and please keep us posted on this, that's what this site is all about. GO PROWLER NATION
Old 10-13-2009, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

sandchris Is on a distinguished trail

Generally the noise is caused from a warped rotor.The pads rattle or bang back and forth on the pins that the pads go on.When the rotor is good and true the pads do not bang or rattle back and forth.I have seen some quiet down after some miles on them.I have also seen some that do not quiet down till a straight and true rotor is installed.
sandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks to the members for the help. I put a dial indicator on the rotor and it was about .006 out of round. while I had the rear wheels off the ground I noticed tite spots while turning. sprayed some break cleaner on rotor and pads, turned over freely no tite spots. took for ride no noise when appling breaks. don't know how long will last, but its fixed now. Thanks again
Old 10-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Catmaster Is on a distinguished trail

What kind of noise is this ?? chattering, clicking, ratcheting. What kind of road surface are you on? are the rear wheels skidding when the brakes are applied ? I'm asking because there is a lot of play between the rear wheel, axles, gearcase, driveshaft and trans. There's a lot of backlash and you might be hearing this noise because the tires are grabbing/letting go on the road surface - causing a chatter. Something that I've noticed and just got used to. Nothing to fix. And yes, the 08 does have the updated rotor. .006" is not bad at all. Cheers
Catmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Catmaster is right huge back lash.Straight cut gears for ya.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

The noise sounds more clicking, ratcheting. This happens on a hard or soft surface. I spray brake cleaner on the caliper assem. and everything is fine for a while. I do notice that the caliper and rotor get extremley hot (much hotter than automotive under normal coditions) but the drag on the rotor is very light and the parking brake is fully released. this noise does not appear untill brake is applied. The noise gets quite loud.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

hammerbike Is on a distinguished trail

My experience with this is that the trail dust settles in the caliper, pads area and makes a he** of a noise when you push on the brakes! We've had an extremely dry summer here and I found that if I just take a garden hose and give the brake caliper area a quick hose off, the problem is solved! Yesterday I was out for a rip and went 100 miles with no trouble, the difference (?), we've had some rain and a bit of snow, so no trail dust!!
Hammer
hammerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

But is it flat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
Thanks to the members for the help. I put a dial indicator on the rotor and it was about .006 out of round. while I had the rear wheels off the ground I noticed tite spots while turning. sprayed some break cleaner on rotor and pads, turned over freely no tite spots. took for ride no noise when appling breaks. don't know how long will last, but its fixed now. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement