stuffing 28k btu heater under dash - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Prowler Projects Forum Working on a new Prowler project? Post up your worklog here!

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
stuffing 28k btu heater under dash

Well i have been kicking this idea around for a while and decided to pull the trigger. (disclaimer... if anyone trys to do this im not responsible for anything! do so at your own risk.) i went and bought a heater from summit. it was their 28,000 BTU model. i absolutely did not want to lose any storage under my hood and also did not want to have a heater sitting on the floor so i focused on putting it under the dash. i gotta say there is alot of room under there but at the same time there is none.
i made a card board box the same size as this heater before buying it and got it to fit but once i stuffed the actual unit in there it did not fit.

i decided to cut the center brace that supports the dash and deal with the repercussions. this thing was my biggest obstacle under there. I took a box cutter and heated it up with a propane torch to get it red hot. it cut through it like butter.

once this part was removed there was a hole in the firewall. it was a windy day and i could feel a breeze through this hole. i decided to fill it in with great stuff foam. (sorry, no pic of the foam.)

with that brace out of the way i had lots of room. i got it up as far as i could before it was about to make contact with the tray that is in the dash and i had plenty of room left and right. i doubt i could fit the 40,000 unit in there. It was impossible to get a drill under there to pre drill the holes for the unit to get mounted so i went back to my propane torch. i took an old allen wrench and clamped it into my vise grips, heated it up red hot and pushed it into the firewall. this trick worked great!

once i had everything buttoned up, the dash was very stable even without that brace. i didnt attach any vent hoses at this point, i wanted to test it down the road. after a weekend of riding i now believe i dont have to worry about bracing the center of the dash at all. next weekend i will be installing the vents and heater hoses. i know that this unit is higher than the radiator so i will be installing the pump setup like arctic cats kit has.

last pic... the switch location.
Retired1 and Stump426 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:32 AM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Garage
I wish I would have bought the smaller one, mine is under the hood and there's times I wish I had the storage back. Being inside the cab you'll be recirculating the warmer air through the core which should help, mine is always pulling outside cold air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-07 10.10.17.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	41537  

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 05:22 PM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Pretty nifty install! You can always make a bracket to support the dash!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1962 View Post
I wish I would have bought the smaller one, mine is under the hood and there's times I wish I had the storage back. Being inside the cab you'll be recirculating the warmer air through the core which should help, mine is always pulling outside cold air.
i was coming across this quite a bit when i was researching. i could see where it wouldnt heat as well sucking in fresh cold air. that is one big heater you got though. id think it would still heat really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
Pretty nifty install! You can always make a bracket to support the dash!
thanks. im sure i will be revisiting this project to get that done. i have already thought of an aluminum angle bar that goes around the heater. i cant even tell the support is gone at this point so its going to wait
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:50 PM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Garage
Quote:
that is one big heater you got though. id think it would still heat really good.
It's the 40,000 BTU from Summit Racing.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1962 View Post
It's the 40,000 BTU from Summit Racing.
i noticed your 3/8 to 5/8 connection by the heater. i have been all over this place looking for one and nobody has it. have you ever had issues with that connection?
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 07:13 AM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Garage
I need to update my stored pics, that's an old one. I had a problem finding a fitting also, in that pic I put a barbed fitting inside the 3/8 hose then slid it inside the 5/8 and clamped them together. I never had a problem with it but I have changed it, I found some brass fittings at a hardware store I could put together to make the reduced fitting. I also added a radiator flush fitting like the Arctic Cat kits to make it easier to fill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-09-23 07.49.56.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	41633   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-09-23 07.51.05.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	41641  

Missouri Mike
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 08:39 AM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

I found all kinds of unique type fittings at a Heating and cooling supplier! A lot of hot water heat systems use them. Also you could try Vintage Air, they make HVAC systems for the hot rod crowd!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:12 AM

Garage
that looks fantastic tucked up in there. very sharp install.

2012 Prowler HDX, 29"Big Horns, Commander UTV tracks, Curtis plow, 4000lb winch, Optima yellow top battery, Shark 1000 watt stereo, Sirius radio, LED lights, EBC Brakes, K&N filter, Outerwares prefilter, One way bearing delete & EPI clutch kit, EPI extreme duty belt
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 11:59 AM
ProwlerTalk Staff Member

Garage
Should work great where you have it located. I used the same model pump Arctic Cat has in their kit but it quit working last year so I replaced it with a cheaper one from Amazon. Here's the links:

I bought mine from eBay for around $40
Heater Craft - Pump 12v 1 Gallon Per Minute Shrflo for Arctic Cat

Here's what I'm using now:

https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-made-...Fboat%2Fmarine

Missouri Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement