Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

My Plan Is To Tow This Trailer

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Desertcat 
#1 · (Edited)
in a parade for our town celebration in July ..The route is level and no sharp corners except maybe to turn around and travel back the same route to the starting point.. It is about a mile long for distance to pull the trailer,..
The weight I would guess its around 1500 lbs including trailer..
sidera
I will be taking off the sideboards of the trailer and loading this fire engine bed/play pen ,with kiddies sitting in it and around it,,and two adults in rocking chairs reading stories to the little ones..I have two seats that I have mounted in the bed of the Artic cat for two teenagers to sit in..I will have a guy dressed as a clown as a passenger giving out candy,,

Here is my trailer that I will haul to the starting point of the parade with my truck ,,then switch over to the Prowler to take in in the parade route,,

any thing you think I should take into consideration to tow this trailer would be appreciated ..I have thought of some things but want to hear your thoughts on it first.. thx if you will let me know what you think,,

See less See more
#3 ·
Depending on how fast you need to go. Low range may be best

Yes..It better be slow cause i will not go fast ,not with little kiddies aboard..

was hoping some on the forum has pulled a trailer load of anything that has some forsight as to any thing I may expect..like maybe the Cat is not heavy enough to tow what I am towing ,,ect ect ,,and how about being in low range on a hot day ? Do these Cats overheat easy,,? :)

#4 ·
I've pulled a 6 X 12 trailer with a load (not sure how much) but just moving stuff around our firehouse lot. Sounds like your hitting the max, according to the sticker on the receiver hitch it's rated at 150 lb hitch weight and 1500 lb towing. I'm sure the manufactures test to a higher rating than they put on the warning label. Slow speeds and flat ground I don't think braking would be a problem. Looks like the axle is in the center of the trailer, if the kids shift to the back it could make the rear end light (teenagers in the back will probably offset that).

#8 ·
I plan on the firehouse to sit on the rear of the trailer crossways with the rocking chairs in front of it.. that would make the weight past the wheels of the trailer therefore taking some of the tounge weight off wouldnt it?

don't know the tung weight , but you might be way low on rear spring capacity in stock form
I would guess the weight of the firehouse and two adult women plus kiddies to be around 600lbs give or take 50 lbs.. and the firehouse will be past the wheels of the trailer away from the tonnge,,

I have hauled my 24' pontoon boat with mine and also haul my 18' 8000lb car trailer with mine. low is best. no problems
I assume

I'd get rid of the rocking chairs or strap them down, the Prowler is not the smoothest machine to accelerate slowly and you most likely will be starting and stopping several times if it's like any other parade.

This is a consern of mine also,,I need help on this one maybe as rocking chairs need to rock,,for voting points for ribbons we hope to get..

I'd put a load on that trailer and do a lot of practicing taking off and stopping, I'd also get rid of the seats and passengers in the rear with the load you're putting on the trailer.

My thoughts on this was that a heavier load would help because accelerating would be slower taking off than if you had a light load that could make you jump start.. work maybe like a slipping clutch,,thats a theory of course frm my days of driving old trucks with small engines and heavy loads of hay..I wll try and find a level place load somethiing on and test run it ,,good idea you got..

Low ranges as others have said
Yes ,like dessertrat says low is better and for sure that will be the gear I'll use,,

Another question is the Prowler tires does not give a pressure amountin the manual ,, I suppose due to what terrain one drives in ,,but what about on asphalt and cement pulling this trailer,, say 25 lbs each tire or what do you think?

#5 ·
don't know the tung weight , but you might be way low on rear spring capacity in stock form

#7 ·
I'd get rid of the rocking chairs or strap them down, the Prowler is not the smoothest machine to accelerate slowly and you most likely will be starting and stopping several times if it's like any other parade.

I'd put a load on that trailer and do a lot of practicing taking off and stopping, I'd also get rid of the seats and passengers in the rear with the load you're putting on the trailer.

Low ranges as others have said

#10 · (Edited)
Most tires say do not inflate more than 36psi to seat the bead. Depending on how much tounge weight 10-15psi. What tires do you have on your Prowler?

26x9 Goodyear rawhide mt/r 14 inch ,no air preasure suggested on tires ,,tires say to check with manual ..manual doesn't answer my question the only weight on the tounge will be a small women in a rocking chair with 2-3 small kids at her feet..

The fire engine wooden bed/play pen is behind the tires of the trailer and I was guessing that that wouldnt make much of a tounge weight

this guy I know replied to my request this way ..
Re: Prowler Pulling 4th Of July Trailer In Parade
Don't drink before the parade. Keep your eye on the road, not the pretty marching girls. Watch out for horse poop. Don't jump out your vehicle and scramble for tossed candy with the little kids...Thats all I have =)

#11 ·
Hope one of you can give me some advice about what I just found out as to pulling a trailer down the street with my prowler in a parade around the 4th of July..

I went and looked at the parade route and see that there is a RAILROAD TRACK going right down the middel of the street,, the rails are under the asphalt abbout 3 inches and so the asphalt is bucked or bubbled or squashed up on the sides of the railways..

Which mean a bumpy ride to say the least..so heres my final question on this"""

my tires againd are these 26x9 Goodyear rawhide mt/r 14 inch , so to fo with less air would be best I think so how much less do I go with out losing air from a bead breaking loose from the bumps?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.