Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

2008 650 XT rear brake pad removal

6K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  optimizer999 
#1 ·
While investigating why my e-brake wasn't working, I got to looking at the brake caliper assembly with thoughts of future pad replacement when it becomes necessary. I have replaced disk pads on a variety of cars, trucks, and airplanes but I have never seen a setup like on my AC. How do you get the pads off the shafts they ride upon? The shafts are stepped, with the larger OD ends holding the pads and the smaller OD ends sliding into the caliper housing. The mounting plate is at the transition. The smaller OD shafts have an anomaly. One rod has 2 o-rings on it between the mounting plate and the caliper body. The other small rod does not have ANY o-rings. My feeble mind tells me that there should be one on each rod. If there were, then the rods could possibly slide far enough into the caliper to allow the pads to be slipped off the other end. Maybe.:p
Oh wait, my download of the service manual just finished and it looks like that is what is supposed to happen. With the double o-rings on that one side I can't get enough clearance to slip out the pads. Some dude at the factory felt compelled to put two o-rings on the left shaft and none on the right. He must have voted for Obama. I'd like to know how they got those pads in there like that? Can anyone verify if my setup is correct or incorrect. If it is correct, then how the heck do you get the pads out? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.