Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Clicking/Popping in rear differential

15K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  sandchris 
#1 ·
I have a clicking noise in rear end only when backing up. It has done this since I bought it a year ago. Two weeks ago, I lost the rear dif. The ring gear lost some teeth causing the bearing to push out and break the case. I replaced the dif. , inspected the splines on the axles and can't see any problems. Axles aren't bent and cv's seem ok. Any ideas?
2008 Prowler XT 650-Stock.

#5 ·
The noise is much louder when backing and turning at the same time. Especially on concrete or similar surfaces. When in grass or softer soils, the noise isn't as bad.
As far as the kind of riding that I do, it's mostly private trails and hills here in the beautiful state of Kentucky. Thanks for welcoming me to the site....seems like lots of knowledge here.

#9 ·
No one was hurt. I came up to a ditch, came to a complete stop when a chunk of ground broke off under my left front tire. Turned over slowly. Only damage was that I ran the battery down winching myself back up on the wheels. Had to walk back to the truck, remove the battery, and carry it and jumper cables bach through the woods to start Prowler. Lots of fun!!

#11 ·
Ok I would definitely see if you can narrow down what side it is by getting some help to operate in reverse without running you over and find out what side it is. Then I would look a little closer at the splines and cv on the side where the noise is coming from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.