Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Common spare parts to stock?

6K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  Fairmont79 
#1 ·
I thought I would ask this question this here instead of directly messaging RD, our resident independent hoarder of necessary Prowler parts, so that we can have a list compiled by all and then available for all who may be interested.

So my question is What are common parts that are worth hoarding and stock piling for our prowler's? Like screws, nuts, common wear items, and so forth? Not so much talking about the now harder to get things specific to the square frame prowlers, although maybe those things should be listed too, but I'm thinking about the washer I found missing when I took my clutch apart, about the screw I dropped and after a few days finally found or items that I don't even know about yet because of my newness to the prowler. Any and all thoughts would be much appreciated.

I'll start with a few........ones that I've had issues with already!!! :)
AC part
# 0827-073 - New drive clutch pulley nut. (replacement for old nut & washer)
# 8468-630 - Torx head M6x30mm screw
# 8468-616 - Torx head M6x16mm screw

#2 ·
I hoard accessories. Soft tops, windshields, back windows. They are drying up really fast, so if someone needs them, I got em. Gonna start looking for a spare motor.

#3 ·
I keep a selection of spare mm fasteners in my shop, clutch rollers (I use both EPI, and stock rollers), oil, and filters, and fuses and relays. 90% of my stock is for road trips. I carry a complete inner cover and wet clutch hub on the road, numerous clutch parts, head gaskets (copper type), fixed plate and my MasterCard! I tend to over kill while traveling! I order parts that I may have a use for in the future, my Prowler will be the only SXS I'll ever own, so I buy to support my addiction!

#4 ·
Bryan that is good to know!!! Where is it that you find these things? Craigs List or eBay or ???????? I check out local Kijiji daily for interesting things, but have not seen very many things that are square tube compatible!!! Hard to come by, they are!!!

RD.......that is a good list of things...... Interesting to carr y all the wet clutch components. Have you ever needed them while travelling? A pretty good addiction if you ask me!!! :)

#6 ·
Got bitten at the Hatfield McCoy trails when the clutch nut failed, and allowed the fixed plate to get un-fixed! Tore up the splines on the plate, and no parts available! Ended our three day ride and a long trip home! I now carry spares! Also carry a tank of nitrogen to power my air impact! Comes in handy on the road, air tools, filling tires, blowing dirt out of things, and scaring mama!

#5 ·
my big one is to have about 5 extra lug nuts and 5 extra studs on the shelf. i dont know why but i always striip them.

#7 ·
Wow.......that would be a bummer to end a trip so abruptly!!! How bit of nitrogen tank do you carry? Very interesting!!

#8 ·
I use a 300CF cylinder with a pressure regulator set at 125psi. I originally tried CO2 as a gas, but it froze the quick connect fittings and they kept releasing! Just way too much moisture!

#9 ·
Curious as to how much or long or whatever?? will this power/pump/last?? If you understand what I'm asking? I'm interested in this......

#10 ·
This is a loaded question! I can use it to pull, and replace the clutch nut several times. The Compressed air is at 2,000 psi plus. My regulator will allow pressure from 25 up to 400. I have a bottle mount that I put on my trailer and then strap the bottle down. The regulator and 50' air hose are stored in my truck bed toolbox. My only concern is the bottle walking off! My local dealer exchanges the bottle for around 40 dollars U.S., this is very similar to what NASCAR pit crews use, only they have a bank of em!! All told I have about 150 dollars invested. I own my bottle, but they do lease them monthly. Can't beat it for the road!

#11 ·
That's awesome!!! I take it that 300CF is like a fairly large welding bottle? I hadn't thought of using such a thing to power air tools!!

#12 ·
it's the largest size bottle you'll usually see being hauled around [and mostly they haul around the next size down on portable welding trucks]

#13 ·
Yup on the bottle, about 5'6" tall and 10" in diameter! Weighs about 120 Lbs. I think my impact uses 75 CFM, so the 300 CF bottle works pretty good on the road! If I carry it, I'll never need it! As we travel to different states to ride, putting a kit together of parts, and tools made perfect sense. The impact is overkill, as any auto garage should be able to help on anything super tight! Wheel Hubs, Primary/Secondary clutch nuts are about the only items that present a challenge on the road. I experimented with the compressed gas because I had 3 gas cylinders that I was no longer using. Traded my straight Argon tank for a nitrogen tank.

#14 ·
#15 · (Edited)
I'd say a portable impact that has a high torque rating would be the hands down favorite! It is amazing on what they have done on battery tools! I just had a lot of air tools that I hated to get rid of! My present shop has a large capacity air compressor, but AZ may not have that (yet! LOL)! Now after viewing the article, my money would be better spent on one of those bad boys! New air compressor 450-600 dollars, plumbing and electric to install 100 dollars, fighting the air house PRICELESS! Need I say more! LOL

#16 ·
Battery is taking over air tools anymore in industrial and automotive use. more portable , less plumbing , less corrosive [compressed air n water trapped in it] , couple batteries and go

I like the Milwaukee ones but I'm retired and have a FULL complement of air tools [I was a Snap On Dealer years ago ] so I have what I have LOL

#17 ·
Reactions: Stump426
#18 ·
I have the smaller DeWalt 1/2 inch 18 Volt that works pretty good. I actually removed every bolt on a Grand Cherokee suspension system with that little impact. However, I just purchased an electric impact last night and it works great also. An electric one matched with a Honda generator would work great.

#19 ·
I have a DeWalt 20 volt impact and I'm finding I go to it more and more instead of my Ingersol Rand fed by a 155psi 60 gal compressor. But I don't think I could ever live without the air tools. Ratchets, Grinders, sanders, drills, Impacts. I cant imagine the cost of replacing them all(if they were available in electric)

#20 ·
The electric impact put both the Primary and Secondary nut on with ease. Checked the torque after and I only had to give a slight bump to reach torque specs. I could have put them on much tighter with the impact but didn't want to over tighten them. Using the impact all I did was slightly tighten it without even holding the clutches still.

So I'd say my $129 purchase of the Kobalt Electric Impact was perfect for my use. Wish I had bought it a day earlier when I was removing the Primary and Secondary nuts. :mad: Darn those things were a pain in the === to get off.

#22 ·
...........So I'd say my $129 purchase of the Kobalt Electric Impact was perfect for my use........
Wondering if this is a corded or cordless? I've seen the Kobalt and have just dismissed them as a Chinese knock-off....... I'd like to hear more. :)

#21 ·
Good to know! Once I get settled I'll be in the market for one! While compressed air works, it would be much simpler to just have a portable in the tool box!

#24 ·
Very cool!!! Thanks for the info Charlie!!

#26 ·
I think that's the truth for most people!!! Well, me anyway!!! When it's hobby, and not livelihood then as good as I can afford is usually good enough!!! :) Sometimes I do wait and save......I won't buy junk. My dad was a curious sort. Most times his tools were good quality tools and other times it was as cheap as HarborFreight can make them tools for him!!! I would scratch my head and ask him "WHY?" hahaha :)

Reactions: Fairmont79
#27 ·
use the cheep ones for that "custom tool" you have to cut and weld for a special use one time ,, most guys have at least one of those too

#28 ·
Hahaha!!!!! I just did that on Monday!!!! Changing out the kitchen sink faucet and I needed a really really deep 17mm socket that had an internal passthrough of 14mm........turned a cheap 17mm socket on my lathe to be large enough inside and then welded it to a chinese spark plug socket I had sitting around. Worked like a champ and is no sitting in my tools-I-had-make drawer!!!

Reactions: Fairmont79
#29 ·
Tools are a mans heirlooms! We pass them down every generation. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.