Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Prowler HDX Unsafe!

11K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Diesel Racer 
#1 ·
Went for first ride after changing all the bushings, a wheel bearing, an axle, all the fluids and the air filters. Going down a paved road at 35-40 mph and the rear wheels locked up, went sideways the flipped and skidded down the road 30 feet. I managed to stay in and ride it out. A couple people stopped and helped flip it over back over. The right side now has some road rash. It starts up but won't move under power. In neutral it towed fine. Not sure what the he'll happened. Did the belt brake or what?

#2 ·
Sounds like the one way bearing failed. Many have removed theirs. AC issued a bulletin to remove them if the machine is subjected to heavy loads, plowing, and so on. It is located on the wet clutch hub. Clutches, belt, and covers need to be removed in order to remove the one way bearing.

#3 ·
I don't know why a broken belt, which isn't common would cause it to lock up the rear tires.

Looks like you need to pull the clutch cover... The service manual has instructions and videos of how it's done are on youtube.

#4 · (Edited)
wow after all the work too , what a bummer

hope you get it repaired soon and at lower $$

is the turf axle in the HDX's ?

#5 ·
wow. i still have my one way bearing in there and do alot of heavy work with mine. also have about 7.5k on it now. i wouldnt doubt it would be that bearing though. i may have to pull mine out if it turns out to be that.

#6 ·
Well I torn into today. What a pain even getting to the dry clutches. Bolts all rusted in floor pan so heads had to be drilled off. Anyhow I got the clutch cover off. The belt was in chunks and wrapped up around the primary but was not the root cause of the rear tires locking up. The primary clutch is locked up. The balls and dogs are just rolling around inside it. After pulling it the spacer bushing is seized in the outer clutch disk. When I let off the throttle the belt couldn't ride back up to the top on the primary disks and folded it over jamming it up in the housing. Is there a better primary to buy for the machine?

#7 ·
Surprised it even moved! These clutch set ups are pretty much it, or you look at a wet clutch delete kit (very costly!). The primary clutch on these things are very simple, and near bullet proof, But they can fail. There must have been severe heat in your clutch for it to seize up. The spacer is tool steel, so a good polish should fix it, or find a good used one. The movable plate should be replaced as it is not repairable. The fixed plate should be fine unless it is cracked or the splines are shot. I've found the factory rollers hold up as good as any others available, and the cost is about half of what aftermarket prices are. The belt is another area that the factory has done a great job on! Granted I upgraded to the EFI belt and kit, but my stock belt had over 3,500 miles on it and it still looked new! EPI and other aftermarket clutch kits only provide a spring for the secondary, wet clutch springs (depending on the kit), and rollers to complete the package. I'd still look at the oneway bearing while you have it torn down. I buy many used parts, and PowerSportsNation always seems to have what I need, and their parts are inspected before they ship.

#8 ·
So tonight I got a 36mm socket and pulled the secondary dry clutch to inspect. It is also broken. The top hat or the piece that houses the white spring is cracked in half. Looks like I have to buy this as a complete assembly. Dam this machine is getting expensive real fast. Everyone says should have bought a Polaris.

#10 ·
I'd recommend finding a good used assembly. I've seen many on ebay from good sellers. New clutches are expensive! LOL

#12 ·
the above ... while you were on a tow strap LOL

#14 ·
How is your ride coming along? Need some pictures!

#16 ·
It is coming along, just need to finish the 2-way radio and one more emergency fire dept light bar in the front then done. I need to shift gears this weekend and get the pontoon boat ready for the season first then finish the buggy. pics and video's to come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.