Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Bigger Tires

10K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  parry 
#1 ·
Hello all, I have a 550 prowler 2012, thinking about getting 30 in tires to put on it. If i do decide to get them how much will they slow me down and if they do slow me down, what is a fix to get the speed or power back. Also will i need anything else to give me better performance. Any sugggestions. Thanks

#2 ·
bigger tires

welcome,yes 30 inch tires will slow you down,to gain back what you will lose you will need to have clutch work done,i installed a EPI clutch kit which i like but there is other choices,i dont have alot of knowledge on the machined option,which i have heard is better,someone will chime in on this for you,and give you more knowledge.you may even need to run a lift kit.:)

#3 ·
Be careful on bigger tire may break cvs or axles if your not careful.

#5 ·
If you are going bigger try to get the lightest tire possible. If you do go bigger a clutch kit or Papa Slap clutch work will help you out.

#6 ·
tires

parry,i talked to trey and he runs 28'' big horns and didnt have to use a lift.but he runs rhino brand axles on all four corners,like joe said you want light as possible tires for power purposes,and breakage reasons.:)

#8 ·
No problem hope it helps

#9 ·
Parry, if your intersted in a lift kit mine is a Xtreme lift 2.5" ill make you a heck of a deal on it.

#11 ·
Parry, welcome to the forum! Just curious why 30"? The 650's have trouble turning them. If you do alot of mudding one thing I can almost gurantee it you will be using LOW range alot more than you probably want! You will almost certainly have to get some clutch work to turn those puppies in mud. Also like Joe said get the lightest tires you can. When you get in an off-camber spot where you have a tire coming off the ground that's alot of stress on you axle. I'm going to 2nd RyansCat... I wouldn't go bigger than a 28". Just my opinion. Between my Prowler and ATV's I've ran about every size out there (including 30's). The only time I snapped and axle on my 650 TRV was when I put 30's on. Took them back off and replaced with 28's and never snapped an axle again. The 650 prowler and 650 TRV ATV have the same axles and transfer cases so I can see it happening easy on the Prowler as well. Hope this helps..

#12 ·
If you're going to be in the mud a lot I wouldn't run too big of a tire on your 550. I run 26's on mine (they actually measure closer to a 27) and have good luck. My opinion on really oversize tires is you will lose your ability to spin them in the really deep stuff if you have to.. I've had mine through a lot slop and they work for me, my advice would be to find the balance between the bigger tire and the least amount of power loss on the bottom end. and if you do go big, machining your primary will make a big difference on your bottom end. I also hear good things about the epi kits, but if you go with 30's you will definitely need some clutching.

#13 ·
on my 08 650 i had 30's on it with a 2" lift with a bit of rubbing at full turn going through ditch or rut. but my 2011 1000 i had to do extensive modifiations on the floorboard/fenderwell to fit my 31's. dont know if its an xtz thing, or a 2011 thing, could be a suspension difference for the xtz maybe someone more knowlegable on that will chime in.

as far as tire size, i wouldnt be afraid to go big, expecially with an all terrain tire, mudlite xxl, outlaw radial(my favorite 2 off the top of my head). but from a 30 to a 28 like said above you do loose alot of stress on the machine, and only 1" of usable ground clearance. but then i would suggest taking a closer look at the tires, if you plan is a mudlite, they change for every size. the 28 has a smaller lug and closer spacing then the 30, basically the smaller sizes are not nearly as good as the 30. but the outlaw radial is atually wider in a 28 then the 30 maybe a bit shorter lug but the wider footprint will come in handy on a heavy prowler, and being a radial you should have a better feel.

there are many options out there, these are just 2 that i like, and was just using them as examples of changes in tread per size.

my opinion, if i was to start over knowing what i know now i may stick with a 30" mudlite over the 31" outlaw. the mudlite will own the laws 99% of the time, as in everything hardpack, and the 1% of the time the laws out perform in the nasty i dont know is worth it. although they ride great they are clumsy feeling on the trails. with a taller tire you will get some of that anyway, but such a bug lug and small contact patch feels like im on marbles some times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.