Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Parking brake audible warning device

6K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  hammerbike 
#1 ·
Can someone make me a plug-in parking brake warning device that makes noise and uses an OEM type weatherproof connector?

On my XTZ, it looks like there is a weatherproof connector adjacent to the warning light switch (probably goes to the dash light) that could be used for a plug-in warning device (I don't want to splice into any wire, nor alter the original harness in any way). I would much rather have noise than a light. It does not need to be loud, just able to be heard over an idling motor.

#2 ·
My fab guy was going to do this on my XTZ but I have not heard if they got around to it yet. When I have any info i will let you know. In the mean time I believe you can adjust when the light comes on somehow. Johnny or anyone out there done this?

#3 ·
I'll look forward to hearing if your fab guy (or anyone else) can produce these. The activation switch looks fairly rigidly mounted, but I am sure that I can 'adjust' it to come on at the first click.

My problem is the sunlight. I was sitting in the driver's seat yesterday, installing an overhead CB, and noticed that I could not tell whether the warning light was on or not. It happened to be on as I had the ignition 'on', but the warning light was virtually un-noticable. If I can't see it in my driveway, with no distractions, I am sure to miss it in the field. :eek:

#4 ·
I ordered 20 sirens beepers what ever they are called and I will be making a kit .... after looking at mine I would say everybody sould adjust a little slack into the Parking brake cable I would expect the kit to be done in a week or to when everything shows up

#6 ·
Great! I'll take one, as soon as they are ready.

#5 ·
What ever you guys come up with it should be activated off of the arm that comes off the caliper for the parking brake.I mean at the caliper off the drive line.Not at the handle like AC does it.That way it does not matter what is going on but at the arm that puts pressure on the pads.But I am sure you have already thought of that.

#7 ·
we looked at the rear arm and didnt see a way to do it there ....Im thinking people need to adjust the cable out a turn or two to add alittle extra slack in the cable ... we here at the shop have backed one or two out of the shop with the brake on because we never noticed the light ... I think alot of others have done the same so the kit we will be making will be a audible alarm for when the light is on .......

#8 ·
#9 ·
Sure what ever you guys think.Problem is these things do not need that much pressure to make a problem.One click is enough.So if you can get that much out of them and them still be effective cool.They do make sealed micro switches that hold up just fine.Used them for years on NO2 systems.
Left my parking brake partialy engaged too many times on my older prowler.Went through 2 rotors and caliper melt downs before I put a park lock on it.With the park lock on it you definatly know the parking brake is on.

#11 ·
just like those line locks they use for dune buggies and drag cars? That would work too just remove the junk stock ebrake and use a line lock then it would be real hard to move with the ebrake on.. then we could all put one on the front brakes and have burnout contests hahaha :D good idea chris..

#13 ·
Yep very similar to a line lock.To set you put your foot on the brake and push the button. Then to release you tap the brake.Truthfully it is some work and dollars to get it installed.
I should'nt tell this story but you gotta hear it.Right after I got mine installed we went to the dunes and we were out duning.We stopped to take a break and I set the park lock.We were sitting there B.S.ing and all of the sudden my prowler takes off down this medium sized bowl.So I take off running after it and catch it in time to avoid a bad ghost ride crash.Turns out There was a tiny bit of air left in the system and that cause it to release after about five minutes of sitting there.Well once I re bled the rear brake line been good every since.The guys I was with that day still mess with me.

#16 ·
How about a super bright LED replacement light/bulb/assembly? I know I would notice a bright LED on the dash, even if sunlight was on the dash! I think I'm gonna check into it, just change the indicator assembly to a bit bigger (blue or amber?) LED assembly. Just a thought.
Hammer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.