Installing master kill switch for winch - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Electrical Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler electrical discussions.
Lighting, audio, GPS, communications, etc.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
zukimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: N.W. Mtns of NC
Posts: 21
 
Installing master kill switch for winch

Hey guys, don't know where to go with this. My '08 Prowler has a Warn winch and the switch is above the gear selector and appears to be a stock switch. What I would like to do is to install a master kill switch so that the In/Out switch will not function as I have hit the switch accidentally when changing gears and bent my bumper bracket. lol

Should I cut into the wiring going to the In/Out switch or to the solenoid pack for the winch? If I cut the wiring to the switch, which wire do I need? The best I can tell this looks like factory wiring at the switch.

2008 xt650 H1, cab, 72" plow, winch, soon to have heat and radio!
If you see ground above your head, GRAB IT!

Bryan from the Styx!
zukimon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 03:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Diesel Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 799
 
I just leave mine in freewheel, doesn't get snagged on anything , no problems in 5 years.



Tim

2010 A/C XTZ with some "Stuff" SOLD
But still here everyday to contribute to the cause
Diesel Racer is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 04:50 AM
Administrator
 
Fairmont79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kingman, AZ 86409
Posts: 7,108
 
That was the problem I had plowing snow. I just made a cover that goes over the top of the switches and left the sides open so I can still turn the switches on/off. As far as a master switch with the factory wiring, there should be a two prong plug that the winch wiring plugs into, one is hot, and the other is ground. You could wire the switch into here breaking the hot lead.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
Fairmont79 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
TBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukimon View Post
Hey guys, don't know where to go with this. My '08 Prowler has a Warn winch and the switch is above the gear selector and appears to be a stock switch. What I would like to do is to install a master kill switch so that the In/Out switch will not function as I have hit the switch accidentally when changing gears and bent my bumper bracket. lol

Should I cut into the wiring going to the In/Out switch or to the solenoid pack for the winch? If I cut the wiring to the switch, which wire do I need? The best I can tell this looks like factory wiring at the switch.
On mine, I installed an Off/On switch next to the 4WD switch on the dash so when the switch is pushed down it is off. When turned on it allows circuit to be completed so my In/Out winch switch on the console works. I was hitting the switch accidentally letting out or taking in the cable before. Now works good!
BTW, the common winch wire is the one I used to switch off power.
TBird is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 02:28 PM
de3
Loyal Member
 
de3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: parkersburg wva
Posts: 8,040
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBird View Post
On mine, I installed an Off/On switch next to the 4WD switch on the dash so when the switch is pushed down it is off. When turned on it allows circuit to be completed so my In/Out winch switch on the console works. I was hitting the switch accidentally letting out or taking in the cable before. Now works good!
BTW, the common winch wire is the one I used to switch off power.
I like that Idea also Terry.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
de3 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
zukimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: N.W. Mtns of NC
Posts: 21
 
This is what I am thinking as well. I figured that it would be easier to tap into the wires at the solenoid pack under the seat than get into the factory wiring at the gear shifter. I plan to install the kill on the dash to get it as far away from me as possible. lol I'm tired of bending my bumper and the roller fairlead is already bent either due to that, or maybe the P.O. hit something. I need to straighten that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBird View Post
On mine, I installed an Off/On switch next to the 4WD switch on the dash so when the switch is pushed down it is off. When turned on it allows circuit to be completed so my In/Out winch switch on the console works. I was hitting the switch accidentally letting out or taking in the cable before. Now works good!
BTW, the common winch wire is the one I used to switch off power.

2008 xt650 H1, cab, 72" plow, winch, soon to have heat and radio!
If you see ground above your head, GRAB IT!

Bryan from the Styx!
zukimon is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
zukimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: N.W. Mtns of NC
Posts: 21
 
Turns out that I would have had to interrupt not one, but both of the wires going to the solenoid pack as they are both hot depending on which direction you ask for. I opted to cut the Orange wire supplying power to the rocker switch as it was all that is needed to shut it down. Here are a couple pics.

I also had a stickie rocker switch that would stay locked in whichever direction you pushed it. This is handy, and very dangerous when you consider it's connected to the winch. I decided to take it apart, which I found to be extremely simple and trouble free, and do a little investigation of why it would bind. Turns out that the short little spring that pushes down on the roller was in need of stretching back out. I took it and simply gave it a few gentle pulls and brought it back to life again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0366.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	19146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0372.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	19154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0362.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	19162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0364.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	19170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0365.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	19178  


2008 xt650 H1, cab, 72" plow, winch, soon to have heat and radio!
If you see ground above your head, GRAB IT!

Bryan from the Styx!
zukimon is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 04:57 AM
Administrator
 
Fairmont79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kingman, AZ 86409
Posts: 7,108
 
Good to know regarding the switch! I had one stick, and took out the motor on the winch!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
Fairmont79 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 08:04 AM
de3
Loyal Member
 
de3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: parkersburg wva
Posts: 8,040
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukimon View Post
Turns out that I would have had to interrupt not one, but both of the wires going to the solenoid pack as they are both hot depending on which direction you ask for. I opted to cut the Orange wire supplying power to the rocker switch as it was all that is needed to shut it down. Here are a couple pics.

I also had a stickie rocker switch that would stay locked in whichever direction you pushed it. This is handy, and very dangerous when you consider it's connected to the winch. I decided to take it apart, which I found to be extremely simple and trouble free, and do a little investigation of why it would bind. Turns out that the short little spring that pushes down on the roller was in need of stretching back out. I took it and simply gave it a few gentle pulls and brought it back to life again.
Great info zukimon......................

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
de3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73