Battery Tender Pro's and Con's - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Electrical Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler electrical discussions.
Lighting, audio, GPS, communications, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
de3
Loyal Member

Battery Tender Pro's and Con's

I have read so many pro's and con's on keeping battery tenders hooked up at all time,some say it will over charge the battery some say it wont,I remember several years ago I had a Battery tender I bought at sears it was a Dia-hard brand....I left it hooked to my battery and it boiled all the acid out of my battery.........I have now a battery tender brand and a Yuasa brand tender its a 1 amp charger and maintainer,the battery tender brand is a 1.5 charger and maintainer.....I do know they are designed to bring your battery up to full charge and maintain it there.........just wanting to hear some thoughts from others..I have been leaving them hooked up for 2 days and then un-plugging them for a couple of days.if I dont keep a fire going my garage it will get down to around 28 degrees.................

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 08:10 AM
Administrator

I hook mine up about once a week to maintain a full charge, I've also boiled over several batteries, and cooked A AGM with my old charger! It failed to shut off! Now I use the tender and have had no issues!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
I hook mine up about once a week to maintain a full charge, I've also boiled over several batteries, and cooked A AGM with my old charger! It failed to shut off! Now I use the tender and have had no issues!
That's what I was wondering RD,I know a Battery tender is meant to leave on at all times when your not using the machine........

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 10:31 AM

I have been using the Die Hard brands for years on my boat batteries and I bought a 3rd for the Prowler. I leave them on the boat all the time. Never a problem, and better yet, never a NO START at the boat ramp! I hardwired in my Prowlers. All I do is disconnect the leads and unplug the power cord. I figure that my winch is running so much when I'm plowing, that its a good idea to leave it on all the time. I can see when its fully charged, it does not run, just "reads" the battery voltage. And I have felt the batteries in both the boat and Prowler. Never hot to the touch.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I have been using the Die Hard brands for years on my boat batteries and I bought a 3rd for the Prowler. I leave them on the boat all the time. Never a problem, and better yet, never a NO START at the boat ramp! I hardwired in my Prowlers. All I do is disconnect the leads and unplug the power cord. I figure that my winch is running so much when I'm plowing, that its a good idea to leave it on all the time. I can see when its fully charged, it does not run, just "reads" the battery voltage. And I have felt the batteries in both the boat and Prowler. Never hot to the touch.
Same here I have mine hard wired,I must just have got a bad Dia-hard tender,when I took it back i did get a new one but have never used it........I did more research on the maintainer tenders,and yes they are meant to leave on the battery all winter,the said if you have a acid filled battery you need to keep an eye on the acid level,and keep it topped with water if needed....

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 12:11 PM
Administrator

I have one on my generator, it is left on year round, never had a problem yet, that is over 17 years of service, and the forth battery!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 04:18 PM

I have a couple, but I rarely use them. I just slap the charger on as necessary, which ain't real often. If you drive your stuff with any regularity they'll stay charged.

Ron

2011 HDX 700 (sold) - CoolFlo windshield, brush guard, Warn winch, hard top, Clarion CD player, amp, Kicker speaker bar, AC rear view mirror, AC storage bag, auxiliary battery with crossover, GBC Grim Reapers.
2007 Suzuki Eiger
2017 CFMoto Zforce 800EX
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 04:15 AM
Administrator

Ron, you are absolutely right! Winter time is the only time I think about charging my batteries. My Prowler is only used for plowing or a trip around the backyard during the winter months!

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 05:43 AM
Loyal Member

I have used many tenders , and have had failed tenders [at one time had 6 drltrain [sp?] for several pieces of rolling stock / equipment items ..

the deltrain brand "battery tender" ones have failed so many times I quit using the brand .. I have 3 NOCO Genius chargers and love them .. a bit more $$ but much higher quality also.
I have 2 model G3500 and one model ??7200 [forgot the letters in the front] .. my A/C is one one now and when my truck is at home it sits most of the time [sometimes a couple months] .. the truck has an Odyssey 2150 battery and I use the larger charger/maintianer on it but could use the G3500 also
I use the G3500 on the A/C and some other batteries I have but not as many items now being maintained thinned down the heard LOL .. but I do believe that the stored battery needs to be at 100% all the time .. I have 10+ year old batteries that are still going strong like the 2150 amp Odyssey in my truck is at the 10 year mark now , the one in my friends lil 25' fifth wheel is my old 1700 amp Odyssey and it's about 12 or 13 years old now , got a 1700 amp Odyssey in my CJ7 /snow plow but it's young about three years old now and unfortunately it's now without maintainer/charger sitting at my friend place in the country near Coeur d'Alene, Id. ... wish there was power near where it was stored. but he is starting it every month and letting it run until the thermostat opens so it does see some charging . I also got ride of several equipment items when I moved south to Reno and no longer have need of so many maintainers.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement