Control Panel Shows VOLT - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Electrical Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler electrical discussions.
Lighting, audio, GPS, communications, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Smile Control Panel Shows VOLT

Does anyone know why my control panel went blank and only had the word "VOLT" on it. It seems to start ok....like all prowlers but nothing else wrong with it. It is a 2008 HT model Green.

I turned the key off and it (the control panel) reset itself and now is back to normal.

Any one know what happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakman View Post
Does anyone know why my control panel went blank and only had the word "VOLT" on it. It seems to start ok....like all prowlers but nothing else wrong with it. It is a 2008 HT model Green.

I turned the key off and it (the control panel) reset itself and now is back to normal.

Any one know what happened?
Mine did that once and it was the ignition fuse.

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Jounior Member

It obviously means "Low Voltage".My xtz was doing the same thing, and here my stator was NFG, only 1 0f the 3 windings were good, which gave me enough voltage to start it, and enough to run with no accesories, but when the darkness came and i needed lights, I was constantly boosting my unit.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

What is a stator? My unit seems to struggle to start. Do you think it has something to do with the starter?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Jounior Member

your stator is what supplies your unit with power. On my xtz, off the crank, there is a magneto, which rotates around your stator, producing AC voltage, around 75 vAC. I had 2 winding showing infinite off a voltmeter, so i was only putting out 25vAC, just enough for basic stuff. As for your starting issue, im not too sure, maybe some other guys could chime in and help.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidds View Post
It obviously means "Low Voltage".My xtz was doing the same thing, and here my stator was NFG, only 1 0f the 3 windings were good, which gave me enough voltage to start it, and enough to run with no accesories, but when the darkness came and i needed lights, I was constantly boosting my unit.
thats not completely true .... its obvious that it was in your case , having a bad stator . when a machine is using a digital instrument panel like those in our cats and a lot of late model equiptment there is a '' start up '' cycle the panel goes through when the key is turned on and the machine started . if we could get the FACTORY starting procedure for these machines i will bet money that it would say to turn key on , allow gauges to cycle then start machine . i ran into this same problem with several models of Caterpiller, and AGCO brand machines , it generally occured when the machine was started and the gauges werent allowed to cycle completely . its hard to duplicate mine did it last thursday . i know it wasnt a low system voltage problem because i have a brand new battery . 60 amp alternator kit and all of my connections are tight . but i did get in like all of us do an just turn the key and go!

to be on the safe side i would check your voltage out put when running , you should see 14 + volts DC . and see how low it drops when cranking the engine . if you are dropping below 9 volts you may have a battery or ground problem . load test the battery and make sure all connections to the battery and frame are clean and tight . good luck and let us know whet you find
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. This Cat has 54 hours on it and I think you hit it on the head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement