RD Alternator install - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Electrical Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler electrical discussions.
Lighting, audio, GPS, communications, etc.

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

RD Alternator install

Started the install today, went very well! The bracket worked fantastic. I had to cut my upper coolant tube and relocate it. Did not need to drain the cooling system, pulled apart the upper hose from the tube and tilted it down slightly to drain. Lost about a quart total. Pulled the front driveshaft all the way off by removing the upper front differential bolt & loosening the lower. Tilted the diff down. Then cutting the large clamps and sliding off the boots, the driveshaft pulled right off. Removed the front flange from the front on the engine and slid the new pulley between the 2 flanges. Replaced the 4 factory 8mm bolts with bolts that are 1/4" longer. Positioned the alternator on the RD bracket, and using a straight edge on the pulleys for straightness, drilled 2 3/8 holes through the frame and bolted in the RD bracket. Wrapped a section of rope around the pulleys for belt length and purchased 4 different belts from Napa. Used the belt that fit best. Then mounted the upper turnbuckle bracket. That's where I got today. I'll finish up tomorrow and post the rest. Enjoy the pictures from todays work....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160106_123457.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	36762   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160106_123506.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	36770   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160106_132343.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	36778   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160106_161734.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	36786   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160106_170753.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	36794  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160106_171713.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	36802   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160106_173320.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	36810   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160106_171752.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	36818  
de3 likes this.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 09:14 PM
Loyal Member

sweet ! nice install !

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 03:06 AM
Administrator

I like it! LOL ! Will the dog house fit with the alternator swung to the outside, that was a new bracket design I sent you.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
I like it! LOL ! Will the dog house fit with the alternator swung to the outside, that was a new bracket design I sent you.
No, I had to cut a hole in the side of it. It protrudes about 4 inches into the passenger side. Perfect foot messager for Denise!
(sorry, just had to...)
IT FITS PERFECT! I have about 2" of clearance from the side. Access to the dipstick is great. The closest spot for anything to hit is the shift lever, its about 3/8" away from the electrical stud. I'll finish up this morning. Test the one wire set up, then add the regulator and gauges my next day off.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Your Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a brain dis-engage! I don't know why I was thinking it was higher than the floor! After you run it awhile, just answer one question ; Would you do it again?;

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 01:06 PM

Okay RD and Bryan! What are you guys up to now? Why the alternator? Running a larger battery or??? Needed more power?

2010 XTZ 1000..... HCR Suspension, 6" lift, King Racing Series Shocks, Summer's Brothers Racing Axles, Beard Seats, Tiger Tracks, A/C Hinged Windshield, Custom Light Bar by Butch, Custom 1/2 Doors by Butch. What's next ???
My friends call me Butch
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 02:22 PM
Administrator

My Prowler is limited to 27 amp electrical system, and I wanted to add additional system capabilities. I noticed that they do/did make an alternator kit for the XTZ's, but nothing for other models. I thought back to my racing days and we run an alternator off of the driveshaft, so why not? I am confident that I can shave 50% at least off of the former kit prices (this is just a quick guess). I used a three wire alternator on mine, as I wanted to put a warning light on the charging circuit. Before the alternator, when running down the road and the cooling fan cycled my volts would drop to 12 from 14.5, with the alternator the voltage only drops to 14. This is with my lights on and CVT clutch fan also on. Bryan and I discussed trying out a one wire setup in order to compare which alternator makes the most sense, and we decided to try one!
catman2 likes this.

Either - Dick or RD
post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 03:02 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Started the install today, went very well! The bracket worked fantastic. I had to cut my upper coolant tube and relocate it. Did not need to drain the cooling system, pulled apart the upper hose from the tube and tilted it down slightly to drain. Lost about a quart total. Pulled the front driveshaft all the way off by removing the upper front differential bolt & loosening the lower. Tilted the diff down. Then cutting the large clamps and sliding off the boots, the driveshaft pulled right off. Removed the front flange from the front on the engine and slid the new pulley between the 2 flanges. Replaced the 4 factory 8mm bolts with bolts that are 1/4" longer. Positioned the alternator on the RD bracket, and using a straight edge on the pulleys for straightness, drilled 2 3/8 holes through the frame and bolted in the RD bracket. Wrapped a section of rope around the pulleys for belt length and purchased 4 different belts from Napa. Used the belt that fit best. Then mounted the upper turnbuckle bracket. That's where I got today. I'll finish up tomorrow and post the rest. Enjoy the pictures from todays work....
Looks great.......

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Well, its done! Took it out for a test drive and it didn't go up in flames! So that was good...
The worst part was putting the front driveshaft back in. I could not get any clearance and nothing changed! The pulley fit on the end of the driveshaft flange. I had to pull the whole front differential forward. It took me 3 hours and 1/2 pint of blood! I was injury free up to that point! Sharp edge on the snowplow bracket, of all things... I still need to pretty up the wiring to the battery cut off switch. I'll do that after I install the voltage regulator and volt gauge. I do have to say, my headlights seemed alot brighter on my test drive towards town tonight!
Would I do it again? Sure! Next time will be alot easier, too!
I got my heater fan and switch in the mail today, so I'll put that together with the regulator, too. Enough for 2 days. Denise is ready to skin me alive for missing 2 suppers! After she stitches me up...
de3 and catman2 like this.

post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 02:48 AM

I have all the leftover parts from my UTV Inc alt kit that is in a box, going to re-purpose the alt in a new config off rear axle on my XTZ. I just need to find a way to clamp to round vertical tube in front of rear tire, lower bracket if figured out. Just need time..

Tim

2010 A/C XTZ with some "Stuff" SOLD
But still here everyday to contribute to the cause
Sponsored Links
Advertisement