what voltage does the alt put out - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Electrical Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler electrical discussions.
Lighting, audio, GPS, communications, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

what voltage does the alt put out

What voltage should i see on my meter at idle and at say 3000 rpms. I was running my sprayer today and for not really that long and it has run my battery died anyone had that problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:14 AM

This was being discussed a couple days ago. Hang in there these guys no their stuff and will be chiming in shortly.
Ok sandchris, darrly189 and desercat, help this man out and show him the prowler nation love

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!

07 Prowler 650 H1 XT
3000lb. Warn winch
2" lift by Highlifter
30" Silverbacks on 14" SS112's
FMF Powercore exhaust
Dynatech CDI box
rejetted with Jets R Us OEM jets
stage 1&2 by ///AIRDAM
clocked secondary to B3
19 gram rollers (red)
2" snorkel by me
chrome skull shifter
LED tail lights in bed by me
fog lights
roof
custom doors by me
custom removable rear cage by me & friends
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman23 View Post
What voltage should i see on my meter at idle and at say 3000 rpms. I was running my sprayer today and for not really that long and it has run my battery died anyone had that problem

to properly charge and maintain a charge in a battery you must have more voltage going in than the static/standing voltage of the battery . all batteries will have a standing voltage of around 12.5v and to properly charge a battery when running you need 14v , i know a lot of you are saying that you see 13.2 to 13.8 volts IMO thats too low to maintain a proper charge . 13.8v is the bare minimum that i like to see in the work i do .

without knowing what your voltage was when running your sprayer i can only guess what happened , these factory batteries do not have much for reserve capacity if you were running it with the engine off . remember too
the size of these batteries and the electronics always pull a small amount of amps even when the key is off . if youve added a radio that pulls a lil more . and if your prowler isnt drivn every few days to recharge the battery , and you fire it up witha weak battery and start spraying the stator isnt strong enough to charge a low battery quickly . these stators are designed to maintain a battery , not recharge a dead one .

with that said charge your battery , then test the standing voltage after about 30 mins before starting , if it drops into the 11or 10 or lower volts from the 12.5 after you removed the charger it probaly has a bad cell .

if thats ok start the engine and check the voltage at the battery, with the engine running , you should see 13.5 min to 14.8 v then turn on your pump , and check the volts again with the load and see how much its dropped , if any . the stator should be able to maintain charging voltage of a sprayer pump unless you have the pump hooked up to a cooler motor ?lol

remember to charge and test your battery first ! if you have a weak battery the startor will be a max output trying to charge it and when you add more amp draw it will max out the output of the stator and fail to charge .

also check all of the battery connections and the grounds on the frame . poor connections = poor charge

good luck

soazcat

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Loyal Member

My XTZ 1000 idles with the volt meter at 14.2 volts. It will drop to around 12.3 with all my goodies running. This is on an auto meter volt digital volt gauge.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying121 View Post
My XTZ 1000 idles with the volt meter at 14.2 volts. It will drop to around 12.3 with all my goodies running. This is on an auto meter volt digital volt gauge.
My 650 with new battery showed 12.8 volts with lights, stereo and fan running.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyansCat View Post
My 650 with new battery showed 12.8 volts with lights, stereo and fan running.

Ryan your running at the bare min for charging ....

i guess the mechanic comes out in me in situations like this . that why i run a alternator kit on mine . i like the piece of mind knowing that i will always have enough power to run whatever i want for as long as i want . i can run 1200w stereo , gps, fan , 5 hids and head lights and rear flood and still read 14.2 volts ! lol maybe i need a disco ball and a bull horn !
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Loyal Member

suggest you run a Odyssey 925 for extra reserve power and recharge after use
I run a separate battery when I spray and keep it fully charged between uses with a battery tender junior [BTW great price on amazon right now] ... never have an issue with it for enough power to do 10 acres and still not see low voltage

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Founding Member

Exactly what GTroyer said. The stock battery just doesn't have enough reserve and when you have the pump for the sprayer on or any other accessories that have any real draw, the power comes from the battery. The stock charging system is pretty weak when it comes to running lots of aftermarket accessories (ie:lights, stereo, sprayer, etc). The larger battery is the easiest cure, as that will give you a larger reserve. But keep in mind, that only works as long as you don't draw down that reserve too much. If you run a stereo and lights throughout the night, you might, but for the sprayer..nah.
On my race car, I'm installing a 60amp alternator driven off the driveline (didn't have room to run it off the engine crank). That will ensure power for extra lights, fresh air system, intercom/radio, GPS and any other power necessities. I'm running an Optima Yellowtop battery.

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Jounior Member

GT? do you have to remove a cable from the Battery to put the tender on it? Gary H.

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX EFI Steele Blue. 3000lbs. winch- tilt wheel. Street legal. windshield, full cloth cover. over-ride.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 01:58 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Holloway View Post
GT? do you have to remove a cable from the Battery to put the tender on it? Gary H.
Gary you do not have to remove your terminal to use your Tender.I put a lead on my battery so I can just plug in my Tender,I don't even have to remove the seat...........

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement