2006 Prowler fan problem- I'm stumped. - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Electrical Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler electrical discussions.
Lighting, audio, GPS, communications, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

2006 Prowler fan problem- I'm stumped.

I am puzzled on this issue.
The fan will not run and my Prowler overheats.
I can disconnect the two prong plug at the fan and run 12v and a ground directly to it and it runs great.

I have used a 12v test light to test the temperature switch and once the engine gets hot the switch has continuity and has power on both legs.

The 15A fan fuse is good and I have power to the temperature switch when the key is on.

The diode is installed in the correct orientation and I have even switched each of the three diodes around to make sure it is not bad. Not sure how to test the diode other than it should pass power only one direction. According to the wiring diagram the diode seems to be on the ground side of the 12v circuit.

Can I bypass the diode to see if I am not getting a good ground or stick a fuse in its place temporarily to test?

I am at my wits end and am convinced it is something simple but no one I have talked to has been any help and I don't want to trailer it to a shop to get charged a couple hundred bucks for something that is probably simple. My budget is about shot. Someone mentioned a relay but I do not find one nor see it on the wiring diagram.

Any help would be appereciated, are there any Arctic Cat mechanics on this board?

If all else fails I will run a new 12v circuit to the temp switch and fan with a new ground and eliminate the diode. I have installed a UTV Inc fan override and it does not work either since the circuit is not being completed somewhere. I also installed a temp gauge kit and it conforms it is getting hot about the same time the digital dash shows an alarm condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Founding Member

Ok so the temp sender is ok right?
I have not looked a wiring diagram yet but from the sender where does the wiring go?
Don't worry we will figure this out

Where did you get your wiring diagram?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Last edited by Desertcat; 04-15-2012 at 08:45 PM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

I downloaded the wiring diagram on here somewhere.
The wiring goes from the 15A fuse to the temp sensor, out of the sensor to the fan and from the fan through the diode to a common black ground shared by the headlights. I would like to know why the diode is necessary and if it is an important part of the circuit? A ground is a ground isn't it?

If the fan works, the fuse is good and the temp sensor passes current when it heats up what else is there?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Founding Member

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Yes according to the wiring diagram. The diodes are in the fuse box though , there are thee of them.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 12:30 AM
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertRat View Post
My budget is about shot.
Im with you on that one, happens a little fast for something so small.

Quote:
I have installed a UTV Inc fan override and it does not work either since the circuit is not being completed somewhere. I also installed a temp gauge kit and it conforms it is getting hot about the same time the digital dash shows an alarm condition.
with the budget in mind hard wire the switch and eliminate back from your switch til you can figure out what going on. use a inline fuse, only thing you would do is cut the thermostat off, which might be more the problem if your good on the electrical.

You can use your temp gauge to decide when to turn the fan on. I have about the same set up as you and watch the temp guage turning it on before the factory temp. Thats not something you want to do all day or when other people are driving the rig but a short term solution.

Not a mechanic
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

no fan - Page 2 - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum

May have found my answer here.
Looks like there is a diode buried in the wiring harness under the front hood. Now all I have to do is tear into the wiring.

Last edited by AZDesertRat; 04-16-2012 at 06:47 PM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Well, I felt around on the wiring harness behind the radiator and found a fat spot as described in the thread I linked to from the other forum. Peeled some tape off and found the inline diode as described. I cut it out, spliced the wires together and like magic, THE FAN WORKS !!!

I guess you learn something every day, like how stupid Arctic Cat engineers and designers are to hide something like that in such a tough spot. Completely assinine.

Many thanks to Wyo H1 Cat on Arctic Chat!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Well, I felt around on the wiring harness behind the radiator and found a fat spot as described in the thread I linked to from the other forum. Peeled some tape off and found the inline diode as described. I cut it out, spliced the wires together and like magic, THE FAN WORKS !!!

I guess you learn something every day, like how stupid Arctic Cat engineers and designers are to hide something like that in such a tough spot. Completely assinine.

Many thanks to Wyo H1 Cat on Arctic Chat!
I would repladed that diode not bypass it. It's in the circuit to protect. Was it on the ground side?

Glad you found the problem

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Yes it is on the ground side. I may check with MotoCity and see what one costs but have seen other threads where someone has removed it with no problems. If I replace it you can bet its going in a different spot where it is accessible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement