Electric Cooling Fan Problem - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Electrical Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler electrical discussions.
Lighting, audio, GPS, communications, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Electric Cooling Fan Problem

Ok guys.. need your help again. When I went on my big ride last weekend about the end of the day I started overheating. I assumed my radiator was just clogged with mud. I got off to clean it out and noticed my fan wasn't running and I was at 220deg. So I let it sit and cool off while I cleaned my radiator. Started it up and it started heating up again and no fan. I started driving it over to a water hose and noticed it was cooling down. Got off and fan was running. A few min later started heating up again and fan not running, few min later started cooling off and fan running. Seems like there's a short or something somewhere but I have tested every wire I can find and all seems good. Voltage and or continuity on everything. Anyone else ever had this problem? I don't want to put in a $150 fan to later find out it's a $2.00 wire! Every other thread I found about fan probs is them not working at all, mines working intermitently. Thanks again!

Oh yeah I've ordered a fan overide switch.. but not as a fix. Just in case this happens again I can force my fan to run.

08 650xt
Big Bore Kit
Speedwerx Exhaust
1.5: Snorkels
Dyna FS Ignition
AMR Monster Coil
Highlifter 2in Lift
Highlifter 1in Wheelspacers
Custom Roll Cage
Trail Armor Doors
Intellitronix Oil, Temp, and Volt Gauges
RickTheRocket UHMW Bushings all around
Superwinch Terra 3500
Papa Slap Stage 3 Clutching with Fix Plate Mod

Last edited by Daryle_TN; 10-24-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Jounior Member

There is a diode hidden in the wiring harness under the hood that goes bad. I had the same problem and had a heck of a time finding it under the tape. Once I removed the diode the fan worked again but I bought a new one and spliced it back in.
I also found out, the fan override switch will not work if the diode is bad. I have that too.

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...m-stumped.html
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 AM

...could it be air in the radiator or hose from where the sensor doesn't receive an accurate coolant temperature at the location. Good info on the diode location, I would have a hard finding it with the tape over it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on the diode DesertRat.. So it's buried under some tape under the hood? What jacka** came up with that idea? Glad you told me about the over-ride deal. I would have been stressing like crazy if my fan still didn't work after I get that installed!!

TBird.. I have added a temp gauge in-line on the hose leaving the engine. I thought that maybe it was reading wrong so I just kept driving. As soon as my gauge hit I think 225 or 230 the factory sensor tripped and my factory gauge was reading over-heat. I see what your saying but since 2 gauges in 2 different places show the same thing I think it's really overheating.

Thanks for the help fellas!

08 650xt
Big Bore Kit
Speedwerx Exhaust
Dyna FS Ignition
AMR Monster Coil
Highlifter 2in Lift
Custom Roll Cage
Trail Armor Doors
Superwinch Terra 3500
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 02:47 PM
de3
Loyal Member

gauge

daryle, my temp gauge reads the same when i was putting new engine ice in mine and before the system burped itself my gauge read 225 degrees then my factory gauge icon come on.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 02:51 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Thumbs up

did you find out what was wrong with your oil gauge,also whats it take you about two days to clean your prowler back up. iam sure you impressed some at the mud drags.........................

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

I've had the pressure washer at it yesterday and today. There's still mud on it! And on my oil gauge... I'm not saying who it was... But someone might have forgotten to zip tie the wire away from the header pipe..and it melted the wire all the way through. Oh well ... Live and learn. So far that header pipe has kicked my butt! Lol

08 650xt
Big Bore Kit
Speedwerx Exhaust
Dyna FS Ignition
AMR Monster Coil
Highlifter 2in Lift
Custom Roll Cage
Trail Armor Doors
Superwinch Terra 3500
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryle_TN View Post
I've had the pressure washer at it yesterday and today. There's still mud on it! And on my oil gauge... I'm not saying who it was... But someone might have forgotten to zip tie the wire away from the header pipe..and it melted the wire all the way through. Oh well ... Live and learn. So far that header pipe has kicked my butt! Lol

Daryle.
In case you do need a new fan this is what I offer.

Arctic Cat Engine Cooling Fans, New **1 year warranty**, Replaces 0413-123

I have new replacement engine cooling fans for Arctic Cat ATV’s & Prowlers. These fans fit almost all Arctic Cat utility ATV's & Prowlers. They have the correct plug installed. These are very high quality fans with a 1 year warranty. If the fan fails within one year of purchase, just send it back for a replacement. I handle all warranties. No third party to deal with.

If you are not sure if this is the correct fan for you Arctic Cat, please send me a message. I would be happy to look it up for you. I just need the year, model & engine size of your machine.

Pricing:

$85.00 shipped in the US

$115.00 shipped to Canada

New OEM price over $150

OEM Part # 0413-123

This is a high quality aftermarket fan, not OEM

Please email me with any questions.
[email protected]

Thank You!!
Please email me with any questions.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 117KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 191KB.

Even my spell check wants to replace "Obama"!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Rick, thank you! I will be tearing into it this weekend to try and find out what's going on. If I need a fan I will definetely give you a yell!

08 650xt
Big Bore Kit
Speedwerx Exhaust
Dyna FS Ignition
AMR Monster Coil
Highlifter 2in Lift
Custom Roll Cage
Trail Armor Doors