Please Help!! 2011 HDX wont Start - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Electrical Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler electrical discussions.
Lighting, audio, GPS, communications, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Please Help!! 2011 HDX wont Start

Been having problems for a long time with starting issues, Thought it was battery. Had battery checked, checked fine. went throu all the connections and cleaned. Still nothing.

2011 Prowler HDX

Sometimes it will turn over some others it wont go past dead top center like its vapor locked. Been having this issue for awhile and now it to the point cant do my old tricks to get it to start

Hopefully somebody know what this is and I can get it fixed asap need bike on the trail with family

Thanks for any advice

2011 HDX 2.5 lift, custom metal roof, stereo, aftermarket offroad lights, ground lights, custom green LED's, 5000lb winch. 2009 Honda Rubicon, Custom Snorkel, 14in ITP SS wheels, 27x14 ITP tires, 2in lift. 2007 Honda Foreman, custom snorkel, 2000lb winch, Custom 2in lift, Swamp Fox Tires. 2009 Honda TRX 90, Custom driving lights. 1987 Honda 250R 0-90 in WTF was that, ITP hole shot tires, Complete FMF exhaust and tons more I dont even want to try to explain, 2013 Dodge Cummins Big Horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Sounds like the starter is failing. Are you under warranty? The manual say's to check the starter use a volt meter. Hook the leads up with the key off, should read 0 volts, turn the key to start, it should not read less than 10.5 volts. Mine failed, and it was reading 6.0 volts. Easy to change, but nobody rebuilds them that I know of. I went on EBAY to find the best deal. Hope this helps. RD

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 07:42 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
It sounds too new to have the valves out of adjustment but that might cause the same problem. The starter would be the better place to start a lot less work to check.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 10:22 AM

My xtx used to do that from time to time.. I would just let off the key and give it another flick of the key and it would usually start right up. The starters are sufficient normally to turn the engine over but at top dead centre they have a lot of compression.. Usually just flicking the key a few time would work for me.

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 10:42 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJREDNECK View Post
Been having problems for a long time with starting issues, Thought it was battery. Had battery checked, checked fine. went throu all the connections and cleaned. Still nothing.

2011 Prowler HDX

Sometimes it will turn over some others it wont go past dead top center like its vapor locked. Been having this issue for awhile and now it to the point cant do my old tricks to get it to start

Hopefully somebody know what this is and I can get it fixed asap need bike on the trail with family

Thanks for any advice
used to have a 87 250r my self...............

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 08:04 AM

I forgot to add as well that it may be your battery, sometimes it will take a charge like a good battery and will test as though its good but it doesn't have the cranking amps to get the job done. Might wanna replace the battery, I did on mine and it solved that problem as well.

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 09:07 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostxProwler View Post
I forgot to add as well that it may be your battery, sometimes it will take a charge like a good battery and will test as though its good but it doesn't have the cranking amps to get the job done. Might wanna replace the battery, I did on mine and it solved that problem as well.
True, most of the time a load test will tell the story.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I have 2 batteries in the HDX both are good, I hooked the one battery directly to the starter and it worked a little but, it seems to me the starter is bad because of how hard it was trying to work and how hot the wire got at that point. So I ordered a new starter off of ebay and a new solenoid just because it was cheap enough why not? all my wires are good but i did buy some new ends for the wires and going to replace it all when the parts come in. Thank you all for your help and suggestions very much appreciated. This HDX has been a pain the but for sure broken tie rods, ripped the rear cross member out once, welded it back plus plated it, then ripped the mounting tabs out of it, rebuilt those and trussed + plated those then blew a U Joint. U Joint was probably the problem to begin with being the shafts were oval shaped when removed and most of the needle bearings in all the caps were gone. Never add extra lights to them unless they are LED's that was a problem in the begining.

Thanks
FILR Offroad

2011 HDX 2.5 lift, custom metal roof, stereo, aftermarket offroad lights, ground lights, custom green LED's, 5000lb winch. 2009 Honda Rubicon, Custom Snorkel, 14in ITP SS wheels, 27x14 ITP tires, 2in lift. 2007 Honda Foreman, custom snorkel, 2000lb winch, Custom 2in lift, Swamp Fox Tires. 2009 Honda TRX 90, Custom driving lights. 1987 Honda 250R 0-90 in WTF was that, ITP hole shot tires, Complete FMF exhaust and tons more I dont even want to try to explain, 2013 Dodge Cummins Big Horn
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 06:38 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJREDNECK View Post
Ok so I have 2 batteries in the HDX both are good, I hooked the one battery directly to the starter and it worked a little but, it seems to me the starter is bad because of how hard it was trying to work and how hot the wire got at that point. So I ordered a new starter off of ebay and a new solenoid just because it was cheap enough why not? all my wires are good but i did buy some new ends for the wires and going to replace it all when the parts come in. Thank you all for your help and suggestions very much appreciated. This HDX has been a pain the but for sure broken tie rods, ripped the rear cross member out once, welded it back plus plated it, then ripped the mounting tabs out of it, rebuilt those and trussed + plated those then blew a U Joint. U Joint was probably the problem to begin with being the shafts were oval shaped when removed and most of the needle bearings in all the caps were gone. Never add extra lights to them unless they are LED's that was a problem in the begining.

Thanks
FILR Offroad
Hope you get it straighten out,do you have any pictures of it,I had some trouble running Halogen light's also,went to LED'S AND HID'S..........keep in touch do you own a off road shop.????????????

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3 View Post
Hope you get it straighten out,do you have any pictures of it,I had some trouble running Halogen light's also,went to LED'S AND HID'S..........keep in touch do you own a off road shop.????????????
I do lift kits, snorkels and custom metal fab for my friends in the club FILR Offroad is just a group of us that use to ride together allot, starting to get back into it more but everybody is getting rid of their jeeps and 4 wheelers and going all side by sides. I'm picking up the new Honda Pioneer soon and a new Polaris Rzr not the 1000 but a 900 or a 800S probably, I do all my own work to them custom metal roofs, bumpers, lifts, snorkels, rock sliders, and crap like that just a hobby really

Sponsored Links
Advertisement