General Maintenance --XTZ - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

General Maintenance --XTZ

So Ive got about 300 miles on the prowler, and so far I have changed the oil after 100miles but I was curious as to what the major things I need to keep an eye on are.

It is my understanding that there are 3 air filters? Oiled and non oiled? What type of intervals are you guys running?

Or is everyone sticking to the maintenance guide intervals?

2009 Orange XTZ
Prestige Motorsports 4 seat cage, tie rods. UtvInc skids, half doors. 1.5in wheel spacers.

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...html#post37739
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Not certain, but i think one air filter is all there is on mine.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Jounior Member

There is one behind the driver side seat but its just a foam conical, no oil.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 09:24 PM

add a slip on exhaust that is what I did at 150mi. lol it realy opened it up
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 08:29 AM
Jounior Member

what machine do yo have cat n hat? I have heard that exhausts can cause a power loss on the xtz.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Founding Member

Socal2ks git it some time I am sure there a some XTZ owners that do there onw PM work and will give you some help

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Founding Member

Socal,
There is an oiled air filter in the filter box under the engine shroud and then there is a pre-filter located behind the drivers seat. Just remove the little access panel labeled filter behind the seat. That filter is not an oiled unit. Just blow it out.
Don't use gasoline or hot water for cleaning your filters, those will cause the pores in the filter to expand and will allow fine silt dust through. Instead, use a good filter cleaner from either AC, Bel-Ray, PJ1 or such. Then re-coat it with filter oil, not motor oil.

Intervals depends on your riding conditions. Riding in low dust environments will require less filter cleaning than if you ride in extremely dusty conditions. When I ride for a couple days out in the desert, I usually will carry an extra oiled filter in a ziplock bag so I can change it out and not have to worry about cleaning it till I get home.
You do need to check your filter each day when you go out to ride or every 8 hours or so ( 4 hours if really dusty).
Since my machine has lowered seats and the mid-roll cage v support has been removed, I've rotated my air inlet and the pre0filter to a straight up position. That way the air inlet is riding up higher, in cleaner and fresher air.
Look at the photo, in between the driver's and passenger's seats. You can see the pre-filter sticking up in front of the spare tire.

As for oil changes, follow your owners manual, but if you ride in extremely dusty conditions or race your machine, more frequent changes are a good idea. Run synthetic oil as that is what your machine came with, it does a great job of taking care of your engine.
Hope this helps you.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Founding Member

Darryl89,

Thanks for the great information. I am sure XTZ owners will find this very helpful. Great looking photo to thanks for sharing.

Seth

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 04:20 PM

I have a XTZ.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal2ks View Post
So Ive got about 300 miles on the prowler, and so far I have changed the oil after 100miles but I was curious as to what the major things I need to keep an eye on are.

It is my understanding that there are 3 air filters? Oiled and non oiled? What type of intervals are you guys running?

Or is everyone sticking to the maintenance guide intervals?
Some other things you might want to look at too, I pulled apart every electrical plug/connector on my unit and installed die-electric grease in them. I also visually inspected all the battery leads and winch leads and found most of them had exposed wire where the lugs/cable ends had been crimped on, so I installed heat shrink tubing on all of them (I use the heat shrink that has the sealant/glue inside, when you heat and shrink it on, the glue comes out of each end, letting you know you have a good seal), I also sprayed the battery terminals with an anti-corrosive sealant. I also inspected how all the wiring was run around the frame and changed some of it to better protect the wiring, totally changed the wiring routing for the winch, installed heat shrink on the cable ends and anti-corrosion spray as well.
I have always done this on all my quads, motorcycles and vehicles, with great success, experiencing only the most minor and minimal electrical issues.
This is part of my PM program. Hope this helps somebody!

Hammer
2008 XTX700EFI
SPEEDWERX muffler
Maxxis Ceros tires
Garmin GPS
Custom decals on hood, etc.
Chrome trucker girl emblems
1/2 windshield
Owner made bronze tint sunvisor
Owner made snorkel kit
Owner made rear fender well mod
Car horn