Sad Trip to dunes - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Sad Trip to dunes **UPDATE pg 3**

We are very lucky to still have my wife dog and good family friend. We were leaving comp hill at Grey's Well sand dunes Saturday evening when it happened. Myself and another friend were riding ahead (on quads) on our way back to camp when my friend decided to miss a gear stalling her quad. This allowed my wife, dog and family friend riding in the prowler to catch up and pass the stalled quad. As they passed my friend noticed that there were sparks coming from underneathe near the differential and exhaust area. She got on her bike sped up and said there was a problem. My wife who was driving the prowler assumed it was with her friends quad and turned around. I had continued on a bit thinking everything was fine until I checked and no one was behind me. So I turned around and sped back up the road to find flames shooting out from under the prowler and my wife trying to un harness the dog from the bed.

Luckily everyone got out safely before the tank burst. Unfortunatly camps were too far to offer any aid with fire extinguishers ect. and the whole thing went up in flames in about a minute and a half someone said. The parking brake was not engauged, it was in 4 high and had traveled some 200 feet before the fire consumed it after being parked at the hill. People that got there before I did said there seemed to be fire coming from inside the exhaust pipe and it was not seated all the way into the muffler. When I arrived it looked like the flames were coming out of the differential but maybe becuase the fire had melted the plastic above it and it was falling onto the diff but it all happened to fast and really there was nothing we could do except stand back and watch it burn.

This unit was brand new no mods, not even paddled. Just about 8 hours total driving logged and was driven only on roads to allow for propper break in. We are going to the dealer when they open on Tuesday to see whats what.

PICS:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	692   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	693  

Last edited by prowlercat; 11-05-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Loyal Member

Wow! Glad to hear everyone is ok, Sorry for the loss of your Prowler. Good Luck.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Founding Member

Prowlercat, I'm glad everyone is okay. What model was it, XTX, XT, XTZ?

Can you tell if the muffler is off of the exhaust pipe? The muffler doesn't appear to be in the right position for being an XT or XTX (their mufflers sit cross-ways in teh frame) and is on the wrong side of the frame for being an XTZ (should sit on the inside right of the frame, not inside left as the picture shows).

Sorry to be so inquisitive, but I'm sure everyone here would like to find out as much as they can so that we can keep an eye out for this same problem. I hope your insurance takes care of it.
Thanks for posting and letting us know what happened.

Last edited by Darryl89; 11-02-2009 at 01:55 PM.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Jounior Member

Glad everybody got out safe!! That is incredible! Keep us posted on how the dealer treats you and if they can determine the cause of the fire.
Good luck!

Hammer
2008 XTX700EFI
SPEEDWERX muffler
Maxxis Ceros tires
Garmin GPS
Custom decals on hood, etc.
Chrome trucker girl emblems
1/2 windshield
Owner made bronze tint sunvisor
Owner made snorkel kit
Owner made rear fender well mod
Car horn
8 ball shifter knob
2 pc Hard Top
OEM Baja style spare tire mount
Custom embroidered spare tire cover
3000lb Warn winch w/remote
Cycle Country snowplow kit
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Founding Member

Ok, after looking more at the photos, it does appear to be an XTZ. But the muffler is moved over to the left side of the frame, away from the heat shield that protects the bed (the metal plate on the frame top, under the bed area).
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

model was xtz 1000. After it cooled we look at where the pipe entered the muffler and it definately had a 7-8mm gap at the top side of where they meet. Not sure if thats the main issue here though.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Jounior Member

WOW!!! I'm glad everyone got out ok! keep us updated on what you find out from the dealer...

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000
Korporate X 2 seat cage
Rugged Radios 2 place intercom
Twisted Stitch Vortex seats
Prestige doors and tie rods
Eagle Eye HID's
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 03:49 PM

Glad everyone is ok. keep us posted.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the wishes well. The muffler unfortunately in the picture moved during transport back to camp. A lot of the stuff did so I am not sure what they will look at or say when I get to the dealer tomorrow. One thing is certain though, the parking brake assembly did survive and was not engauge at all. With the plastic casing melted away you can cleary see the teeth in the handle are inside the handle and not locked upward to show maybe the brake wasn't released all the way. The strange thing here is the caliper has about 2-3mm of clearance from the DS rotor. I am not sure if that is enough clearance.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Rides all the time

Wow! Good to hear everyone is ok. Hopefully you can get everything worked out so you can get a new ride soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement