Frame corrosion issues - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Frame corrosion issues

My 2008 650 Prowler Cat has terrible corrosion issues IMHO because it never received any undercoating! The hollow tubing's are certainly not painted inside... There is practically no spot on the frame where I don't have corrosion. I have tried to mitigate it by wire brushing the rust and loose paint off and applying red lead paint before re-painting, but I note new areas where the paint flakes off and the frame members are rusting.

Have looked into the new 1000cc model where a statement is made that the paint matches automotive quality, but like to know if this applies only to the finish or do newer Cat's have a coating system right down to the preparation of the metal before painting, undercoating, and layers of top coats?
I use my cat daily near the ocean and this aspect is a deciding factor for any new purchase.

I have not seen any thread on this issue and hope somebody can chime in what Arctic Cat are doing. I would pay extra if the frame would first be galvanized.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:49 AM

Mine had some rust on it.. I bet they all do, One thing I did to fix mine up was I sanded all the rust spots and sprayed all exposed parts of my frame with bed liner. The same type thats used to coat pickup truck beds, It's really tough coating and it looks even better than the stock paint. You can also buy end caps to seal them up and keep mud out of the frame. For me I just took some extra time to clean out the mud to prevent corrosion.

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:06 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Also living by the ocean is not gonna help matters either,I also have the frame plugs 6 total,takes forever to hose the mud out of those tubes,I have had some flaking around the welds,I just touch it up with a paint marker..........sounds like you have a more severe problem,like I said salt water will work on it.I like Mitch's Idea...................

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:08 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfred View Post
My 2008 650 Prowler Cat has terrible corrosion issues IMHO because it never received any undercoating! The hollow tubing's are certainly not painted inside... There is practically no spot on the frame where I don't have corrosion. I have tried to mitigate it by wire brushing the rust and loose paint off and applying red lead paint before re-painting, but I note new areas where the paint flakes off and the frame members are rusting.

Have looked into the new 1000cc model where a statement is made that the paint matches automotive quality, but like to know if this applies only to the finish or do newer Cat's have a coating system right down to the preparation of the metal before painting, undercoating, and layers of top coats?
I use my cat daily near the ocean and this aspect is a deciding factor for any new purchase.

I have not seen any thread on this issue and hope somebody can chime in what Arctic Cat are doing. I would pay extra if the frame would first be galvanized.....
The automotive style paint is only the plastic.but I'm not sure if the frame is dipped or sprayed.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Powder coated frame, but no signs of any primer, or sealed inside the frame members, I used automotive undercoating on the main frame rails, any body shop should have the equipment, just need a wand extension, or do it yourself with tubing. I have used a clean hand oil can to shoot primer in areas that I was concerned about, they shoot a good distance!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Looks like the Polaris Ranger does also NOT have a better paint system than Arctic Cat. What a shame. Will follow suggestions of using end caps silicone in place after cleaning and drying out the hollow frames. May have to strip the cat and do what you guy's have done! It would probably only cost a couple of dollars more to have a better coating system.

Thanks for your replies, Manfred
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 07:48 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfred View Post
Looks like the Polaris Ranger does also NOT have a better paint system than Arctic Cat. What a shame. Will follow suggestions of using end caps silicone in place after cleaning and drying out the hollow frames. May have to strip the cat and do what you guy's have done! It would probably only cost a couple of dollars more to have a better coating system.

Thanks for your replies, Manfred
Keep us posted on you progress.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 09:35 AM

You guys that have frame plugs I could see where your getting the issues. The plugs aren't allowing the water to run back out. My 13 xtz doesn't have them. And I just hose them out after a ride on an incline takes like 10 seconds a piece.

Personal opinion the frames rather work for yah or against yah. Depends on your riding habits.

2013 Arctic Cat Xtz 1000 - Glass Windshield, Wiper Kit, Roof, Radio, Winch, V Bag, And Yutrax No Drill Rumble Seat
2007 Suzuki Sv1000s - Stock Vigor Blue Metallic
1999 Honda 300 4x4 - Wiseco Bbk, H/L Clutch Kit, Gearless Locker, Disc Brake Conversion, Lift Kit, and 18" Snorkel, Sitting on 28" Itp 589s With C Series Wheels

Name - Chaz
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 01:01 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cClark06 View Post
You guys that have frame plugs I could see where your getting the issues. The plugs aren't allowing the water to run back out. My 13 xtz doesn't have them. And I just hose them out after a ride on an incline takes like 10 seconds a piece.

Personal opinion the frames rather work for yah or against yah. Depends on your riding habits.
Chaz On my side frame rails I have them front and back,no mud can get in.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3 View Post
Chaz On my side frame rails I have them front and back,no mud can get in.

I don't mind hosing out the mud, I know water can't just sit in there. And cause the corrosion from the inside out. Would be my big worry.

2013 Arctic Cat Xtz 1000 - Glass Windshield, Wiper Kit, Roof, Radio, Winch, V Bag, And Yutrax No Drill Rumble Seat
2007 Suzuki Sv1000s - Stock Vigor Blue Metallic
1999 Honda 300 4x4 - Wiseco Bbk, H/L Clutch Kit, Gearless Locker, Disc Brake Conversion, Lift Kit, and 18" Snorkel, Sitting on 28" Itp 589s With C Series Wheels

Name - Chaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement