07' 650 Timing Chain - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

07' 650 Timing Chain

Hi, new member with a question.

I got a 07' Prowler 650 with about 1400 miles and I think 150 hours. Recently while riding came to a stop it was idling and then died. towed it back home, noticed it was spitting fuel out of the carburetor. Pulled valve cover off, looked at manual and noticed the timing was off a tooth or 2. Put back to the marks and it started back up like normal.

Looking at it, it looks like the timing chain is worn as the tensioner is maxed out and the chain looks like it still has some slop and I can lift the chain up at the top of the cam sprocket. So my question is, how often does the timing chain need replaced? What additional parts will I need, as I want everything ready before I pull it. And any tips on replacing the timing chain.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 06:52 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjeeps View Post
hi, new member with a question.

I got a 07' prowler 650 with about 1400 miles and i think 150 hours. Recently while riding came to a stop it was idling and then died. Towed it back home, noticed it was spitting fuel out of the carburetor. Pulled valve cover off, looked at manual and noticed the timing was off a tooth or 2. Put back to the marks and it started back up like normal.

Looking at it, it looks like the timing chain is worn as the tensioner is maxed out and the chain looks like it still has some slop and i can lift the chain up at the top of the cam sprocket. So my question is, how often does the timing chain need replaced? What additional parts will i need, as i want everything ready before i pull it. And any tips on replacing the timing chain.

Thanks,
welcome aboard the best prowler site,kinda strange I know many members with lots of miles with no chain issue.I would buy a tension er and chain.how much wear on the cam gear.what kind of riding do you do........glad you joined.....keep in touch.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Welcome to the site, the 07's have had problems with the oil pump driven gear failing and not oiling the top end. That may not have anything to do with your timing chain issue but keep an eye on your pressure, mine failed around 2600 miles and I end up putting in a new engine. Do a search on the site there's a lot of info on it.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:31 AM
Lifetime Member

welcome to the family!!

2012 prowler xtx custom doors ,bumpers ,lightbar,windshield.rollcage ,stereo,5000lb winch,28"wsamp lites ,1 1/2"wheel spacers.custom graphics,custom rear roll bar,factory fender flares cb radio ltz hoodscoop ac soft top and rear window,ac aluminium skidplates,temp and volt guage ,2"lift kit and sti beadlock wheels
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Welcome, keep coming back! This was the second 650 (potential) timing chain in about a week! Austin Hunter reported a similar issue on 2/4/2014! You may want to compare notes! I have almost 5,000 miles on mine, guess I better check it!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3 View Post
welcome aboard the best prowler site,kinda strange I know many members with lots of miles with no chain issue.I would buy a tension er and chain.how much wear on the cam gear.what kind of riding do you do........glad you joined.....keep in touch.
Mostly trail riding in the desert. Next time I get to work on it I will pull the rocker covers off and see how much oil is getting up there. the cam gear didn't look worn at all, it mostly looks like the chain is just the wrong size/ extremely worn. I could lift the chain off of the gear with everything installed, and have separation between the two.

mlh1962, how did you install your oil gauge.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Here's a thread with some info, I'll try to find links to more when I get off work.
www.prowlertalk.net/forums/arctic-cat-prowler-general-discussions/4470-installing-oil-pressure-gauge-650-a.html

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 12:30 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjeeps View Post
Mostly trail riding in the desert. Next time I get to work on it I will pull the rocker covers off and see how much oil is getting up there. the cam gear didn't look worn at all, it mostly looks like the chain is just the wrong size/ extremely worn. I could lift the chain off of the gear with everything installed, and have separation between the two.

mlh1962, how did you install your oil gauge.
SOUNDS LIKE MAYBE A CHAIN AND TENSION ER AND YOU MIGHT BE FINE/Yea azjeeps there are several post on here about oil gauges several of us members have installed them among other gauges.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement