F & R tire size matching? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

F & R tire size matching?

I am ready to buy new ITP Bajacross tires. I have the option of buying narrower tires for the front and wider tires for the rear or all 4 being the same size. My new rims are all four 7x14 size (my OEM rims were 7x14 front and 8x14 rear).

On my Jeep, I run all the same size tires. UTV tires are a new horizon for me. I understand that the narrower tires will make steering effort a bit less and maybe wander a bit less, but I am looking at 26x10x14 & 26x11x14. I can put the 26x10x14s on the front and the 26x11x14s on the rear or all 4 the same. Reading and researching the narrower tires in front & wider tires on the rear seems to be the norm for UTVs. That said, I am inclined to go with all 4 tires being the same size (either size will work for me I believe).

What are the pros & cons I am not seeing here? Suggestions & recommendations will be welcomed.

Terry
2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 Baja - ITP beadlock wheels, ITP Baja Cross X/D tires, 2" wheel spacers, harness bar, 5 point harnesses, custom doors, 4 Vision X LED lights, 2 PIAA lights, RAM mounts on roll bar and dash, military truck mirrors, polished aluminum rear frame brace, inside tube rear frame stiffeners, Mossy Oak camo pattern seats, custom front brush guard, parking brake 'on' alarm, Throttlemaxx controller, Uni pre-filter, and Mobil 1 4T M/C 10W-40 racing oil with K&N filter.

Last edited by Retired1; 11-24-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Loyal Member

My opinion is to keep it as light as possible. So 4 fronts would be lighter. 4 rears would look beefier but would be heavy. And fatter rears and skinny fronts seems to be the norm.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 01:18 AM
Founding Member

I run 26x9x14 and love them. I can rotate them to get the best wear if I find myself ridding an alot of pavement. For me they work good.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Rides all the time

Seth, your setup seems to work just fine and you can rotate. I like the bigger tire in the back myself. Either way.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Founding Member

Sandy soft ground the wider back tire will stay on top better.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Founding Member

Hi Terry:

I put the BajaCross tires on my 650 earlier this year, and I asked Pat McGuire (ITP Product Development Race Support) about narrow on the rear. He asked why I would do this, and I said I had heard that people on Rhinos were having better handling and fewer broken axles. He said that the tires are only an inch wider on the rear, so that doesn't seem to be a big deal regarding handling, and with respect to broken axles, well it is usually the nut behind the wheel. So, I went with the wider tires on the rear.

I now have 1600 miles on the tires, and I am very happy. The BajaCross design and material makes them handle more like a bike, so you can slide the rear end out on turns. They are incredibly stable at high speeds on gravel roads, with a lot less float than some other tires. They also wear magnificently! ITP likes to see you run 12-15 psi in these, which makes them a tad harder riding than tires run at 7-10psi.

The only place where other tires have been better than these is in deep mud and snow. In those instances, the guys with ITP TerraCross tires did better than I did. But those conditions are such a minor part of my riding that it is of no concern. I like the durability (tread wear and reduced flats) and handling of these tires a lot.

So, FWIW, I would stay with wider on the rear.

Bob

UTV Rally - April 21-24th, 2010
2008 650 XT, camo
Trail Armor full skid plate, Bilstein shocks, UNI prefilter, 3000 lb. Warn winch, ITP Baja Cross tires, Fusion stereo with Sirius radio and Poly Planar speakers, half doors, spare tire and gas can rack, two-rifle rack
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Founding Member

Terry, I would also add that the larger rear tire will give you better acceleration than the skinny tire, due to more traction to the ground. The skinnier tire will break loose under power in corners sooner than the wider tire. With the power of your XTZ, this might be a factor. I know my XTZ has enough power to easily break the rear tires loose on most any corner.

I don't really think the extra inch on either side will cause axle problems, not near as much as taller tires would. Plus, wider is more stable....

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, just when I thought I had made a final decision, along comes the thought as follows:

The 2 sizes available to me are 26x10x14 and 26x11x14. Rather than have all four at 10" or the front tires 10" and the rear 11".

If an inch is not going to make a BIG difference, why not have all four be the 11" tires? That way I would be able to rotate wear and have 2 11" OEM spares from my OEM set and I'd be able to sell the 3 9" OEM fronts I have now to other folks as spares? Does this make sense?

Terry
2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 Baja - ITP beadlock wheels, ITP Baja Cross X/D tires, 2" wheel spacers, harness bar, 5 point harnesses, custom doors, 4 Vision X LED lights, 2 PIAA lights, RAM mounts on roll bar and dash, military truck mirrors, polished aluminum rear frame brace, inside tube rear frame stiffeners, Mossy Oak camo pattern seats, custom front brush guard, parking brake 'on' alarm, Throttlemaxx controller, Uni pre-filter, and Mobil 1 4T M/C 10W-40 racing oil with K&N filter.

Last edited by Retired1; 11-28-2009 at 09:46 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Founding Member

Terry, there may be a clearance issue in the front. Also, a slightly narrower tire in the front will probably provide a bit more ground pressure, so that you don't push the front end as you try to turn. Darryl might have more insight; he definitely knows a lot about this stuff!

UTV Rally - April 21-24th, 2010
2008 650 XT, camo
Trail Armor full skid plate, Bilstein shocks, UNI prefilter, 3000 lb. Warn winch, ITP Baja Cross tires, Fusion stereo with Sirius radio and Poly Planar speakers, half doors, spare tire and gas can rack, two-rifle rack
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkoTrailRider View Post
Terry, there may be a clearance issue in the front. Also, a slightly narrower tire in the front will probably provide a bit more ground pressure, so that you don't push the front end as you try to turn. Darryl might have more insight; he definitely knows a lot about this stuff!

On a side note how do you guys like your Bils shocks?

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
Sponsored Links
Advertisement