HELP! HDX clutch bearing failure - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

HELP! HDX clutch bearing failure

Hello! new here and looking for some help from experienced prowler owners!
I recently picked up a 2011 HDX 700efi, (well)used, 2650(hard?) miles. It seems to run fine, but a few weeks ago I drive 5 miles from home, then was coming back and it "locked" up. I was going at a good clip ~50mph and it seemed like the engine locked up and the wheels slid. I eventually got into nuetral after a few puzzled seconds which got the wheels rolling. It stunk like burned belt(thought I broke it) then started very hard. It drove ok and I got it home taking it easy. Now it seems to start fine and still runs pretty good, put 4 miles on it today, no trouble.
Called a dealer who sells quite a few prowlers and they thought it could be the one way clutch bearing? Said there was some problems and even some replacement part failures too. He ran my VIN and said nothing shows in the past. Does this sound like the problem???
Also, today I changed oil on it(wow is that fun) it seemed like it was very low on oil. Can this bearing failure let oil into the clutch/belt area?? The dealer mentioned something about the belt getting oily and needing replacement, never gave it much thought on the phone. Anyway, this seems like the place to be for prowler info, thanks for your help!
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 04:40 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your HDX, but we can help (sometimes we get lucky!). After it locked up, were you able to re-start the motor? Oil capacity on the 700 engine is 2-2.3 quarts. Oil can get into the belt area, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the cover, remove it and see if there is any sign of oil. The one way bearing could be the problem. When I remove my belt/clutch covers I remove the seat's (XTX model), engine cover, and seat backs. The HDX may require removing the gas tank also. Outer belt/clutch cover needs to be removed exposing the belt. at 2600 miles, and the use is unknown, I'd replace the belt. The primary and secondary clutches need to be removed (you will need an impact to remove the nuts), now you can remove the inner cover, which will expose the one way bearing. it slips on the clutch disks, GREEN DOT out! There is a section with pictures in the "Frequently asked Tech Questions on the site. Service manuals are available free online.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:04 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Welcome to the site! Here's a couple links to what RD was mentioning, the first has a free pdf service download, the second is a video one clutch removal it's old but I think they are pretty much the same.
"K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTkw-yTk8Yo

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:54 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Great information members.................

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:56 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMN View Post
Hello! new here and looking for some help from experienced prowler owners!
I recently picked up a 2011 HDX 700efi, (well)used, 2650(hard?) miles. It seems to run fine, but a few weeks ago I drive 5 miles from home, then was coming back and it "locked" up. I was going at a good clip ~50mph and it seemed like the engine locked up and the wheels slid. I eventually got into nuetral after a few puzzled seconds which got the wheels rolling. It stunk like burned belt(thought I broke it) then started very hard. It drove ok and I got it home taking it easy. Now it seems to start fine and still runs pretty good, put 4 miles on it today, no trouble.
Called a dealer who sells quite a few prowlers and they thought it could be the one way clutch bearing? Said there was some problems and even some replacement part failures too. He ran my VIN and said nothing shows in the past. Does this sound like the problem???
Also, today I changed oil on it(wow is that fun) it seemed like it was very low on oil. Can this bearing failure let oil into the clutch/belt area?? The dealer mentioned something about the belt getting oily and needing replacement, never gave it much thought on the phone. Anyway, this seems like the place to be for prowler info, thanks for your help!
Dan
I would say the problem is in your clutch,possibly the one way bearing,or a leaking seal.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, sounds like the dealer was probably right. I will try to drain the belt case area, there should be quite a bit of oil in it. When I changed the oil the chart in the kit said 2 qts, I doubt I drained one quart even! I read some older threads about the oil seals leaking into the belt drive-seems to be a common issue with prowlers. I will check out the parts diagrams. thanks!

Does anyone have an idea what a dealer would get to fix this? I might end up taking it in as I am running out of winter to work on winter projects. I may send this thing to the field with hired neighbor kids to pick rock so it has to be reliable. My dad has an older 650xt? in good shape but has never given him any trouble, besides starting hard after being parked a long time.

One more thing, does anyone know of a source for used prowler parts? The plastic sides on my box are in rough shape and they are pretty proud of them at AC. Thanks again!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Does your Dad's have to crank over several times before it starts? I had the same problem until I plugged the carb vent hose that comes out behind the drivers seat, starts right up now.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Yes with dad's after it sits for long periods he says he has to crank it for a long time, he wishes it had a primer. I will tell him about the carb vent, thanks!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMN View Post
Yes with dad's after it sits for long periods he says he has to crank it for a long time, he wishes it had a primer. I will tell him about the carb vent, thanks!
Some have installed primers, I tried a fuel line check valve first and it didn't help any. I read where a mechanic suggested plugging the carb vent line, I stuck a bolt in it and it has been starting easier ever since.

Missouri Mike
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

SO you plugged the vent hose permanently? OR just for starting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement