Noise when brakes applied - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Noise when brakes applied

Hello all,

Im trying to make sense of a noise. I just replaced the brake pads and rotors all around on my 07 Prowler XT which were trashed. I now have a noise that I do not remember having before I replaced the brakes. The noise only takes place when I let off of the throttle and apply the brakes. The noise sounds like a sloppy backlash in some gears, or a banging that is consistent with the speed that I am traveling. I have checked the brakes and rotors so many times and I dont see what I did to cause this noise. As I pay more attention to it, the nose I think seems to be coming from where the front driveline goes into the engine/gearbox, but I could be very wrong. I dont feel any pulsing when I hit the brakes but I can sure hear it. Has anyone ever hear of this? I really want to take care of this because I am ready to sell the machine to get new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Loyal Member

Welcome kx500. Nice bike by the way. We have went round and round about this subject on this site. What is strange is that it sounds like you did not have it before you changed the rotors. Some guys say it is the slop in the drive train. I say it is the rotors and pads. I wonder what would happen if the old rotors were on it with the new pads?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Im not sure if the noise was there before, but I do know that it is wore now at least, I wish I had the old rotors to try but I threw them out. They were in really bad shape, the pads had gone to the metal.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Loyal Member

Pretty sure you would have noticed it before. My opinion is to try and put some miles on it and see if it gets better. I know that sounds dumb but I think it will get better.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandchris View Post
Pretty sure you would have noticed it before. My opinion is to try and put some miles on it and see if it gets better. I know that sounds dumb but I think it will get better.
That's a good idea, I think I will take it out tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for your input.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Loyal Member

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 05:02 PM

KX500,

Did you ever resolve your issue with the braking sound. I have an 08 700 xtx and I have the same issue. When decelerating and applying the brakes it sounds like the drive train is slapping around. Very annoying. Loud enough that everyone around looks at me like the machine is going to fall apart. I too am ready to see the thing unless I can find an answer. I think I will try removing the caliper to eliminate the brakes being an issue. What did you find out with your setup?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 08:02 PM

I removed the rear caliper on mine and it is now 100% better. I zip tied it just on top of the fuel tank.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Loyal Member

I wonder how it will be with a full load of fuel and people in it in a emergency?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azquadrydr View Post
KX500,

Did you ever resolve your issue with the braking sound. I have an 08 700 xtx and I have the same issue. When decelerating and applying the brakes it sounds like the drive train is slapping around. Very annoying. Loud enough that everyone around looks at me like the machine is going to fall apart. I too am ready to see the thing unless I can find an answer. I think I will try removing the caliper to eliminate the brakes being an issue. What did you find out with your setup?

I never did resolve the issue, aditionally last winter in the snow I found that the front axle would slip and grind if I put alot of torque to it to go through drifts and deep snow. I figured that the two issues were probably tied together. I lost all interest in keeping the machine after that so I sold it off. Hopefully those problems were only on the machine that I had and not on all the Prowlers out there. Other than that I really liked the machine and hated to get rid of it but when your talking big $s to have something like that diagnosed and repaired sometimes it better to let someone else deal with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement