Anybody have these problems - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Anybody have these problems

I have gotten to drive my Prowler 1000 5 times now and I have broken the front right tire rod, front right a-arm, bent those cheezy a-arm mounts all to hell, and last night i broke the left rear Knuckle. I love my ride its just frustrating allways having to fix something after a ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try to catch me View Post
I have gotten to drive my Prowler 1000 5 times now and I have broken the front right tire rod, front right a-arm, bent those cheezy a-arm mounts all to hell, and last night i broke the left rear Knuckle. I love my ride its just frustrating allways having to fix something after a ride.
I am sorry you are having problems but I will tell you like I was told by Ford when I was a Tech, People buy these things and modify them or use the in ways that they were not meant to be used. Now Remember UTVs came about for grounds work etc they are NOT a truck they are not made from the factory to be used as hard as some people use them. As a Ford tech I always got to hear the complaints from guys that put a supercharger running 10 to 15 pounds of boost to it, Blow it up and then the THIS CAR SUCKS!! starts again doing something that ford had never intended to be done to the car.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:07 AM
Loyal Member

I talked to billet king a couple of months ago about building some billet knuckles for the rear of the cat. They seemed serious about building and selling them. And if you did a long travel on your cat and did not beef up the suspension mounts that does not work. Even the other brands will rip arm tabs bend suspension mounts etc. Especially the rhinos.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Founding Member

I've bent one tie rod, but I knew that was going to happen as soon as the XTZ was airborne and I saw the landing spot, rutted badly, my bad for going too fast there, but other than that, I've jumped it and run it hard down whooped out sandwashes (up to 2ft deep whoops) at over 45mph. Nothing broken.

Now to tell you how I beefed mine. I bought the upper frame tube braces from UTVCrap, the A-Arm braces and after bending the one tie rod, installed the long jamnuts on the tie-rods.

Joes5091 is right though, these machines weren't built to do what we are doing with them, at least not to the extent that many of us are doing. I've seen several RZRs with their rear shock mounts buckled badly. I've seen a couple RZRs with the front frames bent behind the lower front A-arms.

And seeing your avatar photo, it appears you have either extended travel suspension or wheel spacers, which all greatly increase the leverages on the tie-rods and suspension/hub pieces. Just because a company sells something like long travel A-arms or wheel spacers, it doesn't mean that they will work perfectly or not change the forces on the rest of the chassis. From what I've seen, every brand has pretty flimsy A-arms and tie-rods from the factory, and some of the LT setups aren't much better.

I would say, start at your hubs and consider the forces against each piece from the hub to the frame. Start reinforcing as you can find weaknesses. Consider what you want the XTZ to do. Is it a sanddune/jumping machine, is it a slow, rock-crawling trail machine, is it a high-speed desert runner, etc... Then build it to meet your riding style.

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

I understand and and respect what you guys are saying. I ride my machine hard and try to huck every jump possible, so I know im responsible for most of the damage done to my cat. I broke everything except the knuckle before long travel. I broke the knuckle on the pavement in front of my house just giving the kids rides. I however do not know how the knuckle broke. Was it from the power of the cat on the pavement or from the long travel I have now? I have also installed those cat nuts from utv crap to try to stiffen up the arm mounts and put some gusseting on the mounts as well. It did great in the sand over the weekend its just funny that it breaks as soon as I get it home in front of the house. I love my maching, just instreted it ways to beef it up.

Thanks Lyn
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try to catch me View Post
I understand and and respect what you guys are saying. I ride my machine hard and try to huck every jump possible, so I know im responsible for most of the damage done to my cat. I broke everything except the knuckle before long travel. I broke the knuckle on the pavement in front of my house just giving the kids rides. I however do not know how the knuckle broke. Was it from the power of the cat on the pavement or from the long travel I have now? I have also installed those cat nuts from utv crap to try to stiffen up the arm mounts and put some gusseting on the mounts as well. It did great in the sand over the weekend its just funny that it breaks as soon as I get it home in front of the house. I love my maching, just instreted it ways to beef it up.

Thanks Lyn
Again thinking Foed tech wize Wheel spacers do more harm than good they stress the other parts that they are connected to too much. Even the wrong offset wheels can hurt, Me I will never run wheel spacers. But its your life and your Arctic Cat. You have to do what you think is right for you. Again I am sorry you are having problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement