4wd diff lock engagment over ride - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

4wd diff lock engagment over ride

I have an 08 650 Prowler. I don't know if my cable is stretched but I'm having trouble with diff lock. I believe it is still working fine but I have to adjust the nut so far that it thinks I'm in diff lock without pulling the tab. Right now I have a bad actuator I have to replace so its not affecting anything. But if it wasn't it would be engaging the 4wd actuator on and off repeatedly while driving the machine. My question is where is the sensor or what exactly causes the 4wd actuator to engage when you pull the differential lock cable? Does anyone know if this can be disabled or should I just see if a new cable will fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 11:03 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leed1315 View Post
I have an 08 650 Prowler. I don't know if my cable is stretched but I'm having trouble with diff lock. I believe it is still working fine but I have to adjust the nut so far that it thinks I'm in diff lock without pulling the tab. Right now I have a bad actuator I have to replace so its not affecting anything. But if it wasn't it would be engaging the 4wd actuator on and off repeatedly while driving the machine. My question is where is the sensor or what exactly causes the 4wd actuator to engage when you pull the differential lock cable? Does anyone know if this can be disabled or should I just see if a new cable will fix it?
mine 2006 has the cable also with the lever you pull out on,i have never adjusted but all it does is pull a pin,nothing is electronic on the locker.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Jounior Member

Below the actuator is a indicator of some kind, I think its the light for your dash but it is also tied into the actuator. Sounds like your cable is out of adjustment as you mentioned. You should see the indictor tie into the actuator.

How do you know its a bad actuator? If your cable was out of adjustment could be causing it to spool back and fourth 2-4wd.

If you wanted to cruise around in 2 wheel I think you can just unplug the actuator but it may screw up reverse override because I think that's also tied into the actuator.

My cable seems loose at the switch as in there is play there, and then when I pull my switch it feels like im going to tear it off the dash. Its been some time since I tore into the thing but was having some problems myself.

The manual has some good info on testing the actuator and cable adjustment just don't have it in front of me.

If you do a search of "cable diff lock" you get tons of info.

Only 200 new post, since I was on last

2008 XTX, AC Cab, AC Flip out windshield & Wiper, AC Brush Guard_ Rear Bumper, AC winch, 4500Warn in Rear, Gee FJ-1 Floor Gun Rack, Temp&Volt Guages, Fan Override Switch Delete, Summit Heater, Master Disconnect Switch, ACC Fuse Block, Optima Yellow Top Battery,Override Switch Delete,27 Mudlites, AC 72" Quick Attach Plow

Name: Thomas

2006 AC 500 Auto 4X4
2006 AC 700 CROSSFIRE
2008 AC 700 TBX Auto 4x4
2014 AC M8 HCR

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

I know my actutar is bad because it went out a couple months back. I've already had it off and checked it and have another one ready to put on.

As for my differential lock its not working is why I've been adjusting it. I assume its the pin not coming far enough out but I'm not 100% positive on that yet.

From what I have read and experienced with my Cat atvs (500 and 700) is that if you are in 2wd and pull your diff lock cable it engages the actuator without you having to electronically switch to 4wd. So yes its just a cable pull that pulls a pin, but I assume something has to be tripping a sensor for the actuator to engage. I'm thinking its inside the differential but I don't know.

My problem is that I've adjusted my nut so far on my differential cable that it is right on the edge of whatever that sensor is. So on my display differential lock will come and off just riding. The problem is that once I put the good actuator on this will be a big problem because it will just be going in and out 4wd. Thats why I'm wondering what senses that that pin is pulled out so far where I can disable it. That way the diff lock cable doesn't trip the actuator. I would just have to make sure and switch to 4wd before putting in diff lock.

If I'm off on my thinking on something someone straighten me out
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leed1315 View Post

As for my differential lock its not working is why I've been adjusting it. I assume its the pin not coming far enough out but I'm not 100% positive on that yet.
I hear what ur saying now. I had the same problem with diff lock not working. Your not going to like this but I went through the trouble of tearing it down and taking it into cat. They said nothing was wrong with it. So I put it back in and everything worked. Typical Cat head scratcher.

Seems like that locker is stuck, wonder if you could get away with just popping that passenger axel out. If mine happens again that's where im going to start.

2008 XTX, AC Cab, AC Flip out windshield & Wiper, AC Brush Guard_ Rear Bumper, AC winch, 4500Warn in Rear, Gee FJ-1 Floor Gun Rack, Temp&Volt Guages, Fan Override Switch Delete, Summit Heater, Master Disconnect Switch, ACC Fuse Block, Optima Yellow Top Battery,Override Switch Delete,27 Mudlites, AC 72" Quick Attach Plow

Name: Thomas

2006 AC 500 Auto 4X4
2006 AC 700 CROSSFIRE
2008 AC 700 TBX Auto 4x4
2014 AC M8 HCR
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
If the passenger axle is loose the locker won't work, I had that problem my axle kept popping out when I tried to lock it. I replaced the C-clip that holds the axle in place and that fixed my problem.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement