Vacuum guage to check dirty filter - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Vacuum guage to check dirty filter

Hi guys
i had this idea floating around in my head now for a while. Has anyone ever tried installing a vacuum guage after the air filter to monitor the vacuum?
my thoughts would be that once a filter hit a certain point of being dirty, a guy can mark the guage to warn him/her to check the filter. I got rid of that crappy factory filter and got a k&n filter. seals so much better and seemed to quiet the sound some on my HDX. i will be checking the filter regular anyway but as we all have girlfriends, wives, kids, friends drive our rigs... i thought this would be a welcome addition (If it works).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Not a bad thought! I don't think a vacuum gage would not give any readings, a HVAC Manometer would do the trick, it is what I've used on HVAC equipment to monitor the filters, same principal, but gage is measuring air flow, not vacuum

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i am thinking i may have to try this manometer and somehow plumb it into the dash. I will have to do some investigating on these units. they are exactly what i need but im worried they wont take the vibrations or shock.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Some of the duct work really vibrate ! Grainger Supply, or any HVAC supply shop should be able to outfit you. Welcome to the forum, and keep us posted!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 06:30 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_crazy View Post
i am thinking i may have to try this manometer and somehow plumb it into the dash. I will have to do some investigating on these units. they are exactly what i need but im worried they wont take the vibrations or shock.
Welcome to the best prowler forum..........I have a 2004 chevy 2500 HD and it has somewhat of a gauge on the air box that lets you know when the filter is getting dirty.....................on your [email protected] filter just make sure you oil it properly they are a great filter if you keep them clean and oiled correctly.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Administrator

I found several on ebay that can be remote mounted, some are liquid filled for vibration. Prices start at 20 dollars and up.

Either - Dick or RD
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok im a little lost i have to admit. I think i have found what i want but the range has me baffled.
I believe i am looking for an operating range of .5 with a max of around 1 wc. I am finding gauges up to 1 wc but others up to 10. with a UTV filter what should i be looking at for a maximum for the gauge?
here is one i kinda like because of the needles you can set for range or warnings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gauge.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	20913  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Administrator

I would think .5 to 1.0 would be up to the task, keep in mind you are measuring movement/air volume and not pressure. The gage looks good! I found another one on ebay for 9.00 dollars! Let us know how this is going!

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Loyal Member

different perspective here

why use those dollars and time when ya still need to check the filter visually and also to make sure it's sealed . it's not that hard to lift the cover . and if it is more than you want to deal with then add tubes and move it to a more accessible place , not to mention cleaner air location ..

NO FLAME INTENDED, just continuing the thought process here

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTroyer View Post
different perspective here

why use those dollars and time when ya still need to check the filter visually and also to make sure it's sealed . it's not that hard to lift the cover . and if it is more than you want to deal with then add tubes and move it to a more accessible place , not to mention cleaner air location ..

NO FLAME INTENDED, just continuing the thought process here
This is true but i am not running a stock filter. I upgraded to a K&N filter. it has a rubber outside edge with sealing grease to insure everything is tightly sealed. With this i believe a guage would be useful. I ususally check my filter every 200 miles or so. there was a day on a run that it was very dusty. it plugged up my filter in one ride. If i had a guage i would feel a little more reassured that the filter was still up to task or that it needed to be checked earlier than expected.
here is what i bought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k-n ac hdx.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	20921  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement