Exhaust Leak (oil) - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Exhaust Leak (oil)

I purchased a 2008 prowler 650 4 months ago with 150 hours and 1300 miles.

When i cranked it up a couple of days ago I saw some smoke coming between the seats. After inspection I saw that there is a mess on the back of the motor where the exhaust pipe connects to the motor. I checked the bolts at one was finger tight. I tightened it up and cleaned it up the best I could. Let dry and cranked it up. I can see a little bit of black oil bubbling around that seal still so i either didnt get it all cleaned or still leaking air but the smoke is gone for the moment after getting it off the block. So I have ordered a replacement gasket.

But its got me to thinking why do I have oil coming out the exhaust. Do I have another issue? Is that normal for the exhaust port to have oil there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	21066  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 09:28 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornforit View Post
i purchased a 2008 prowler 650 4 months ago with 150 hours and 1300 miles.

When i cranked it up a couple of days ago i saw some smoke coming between the seats. After inspection i saw that there is a mess on the back of the motor where the exhaust pipe connects to the motor. I checked the bolts at one was finger tight. I tightened it up and cleaned it up the best i could. Let dry and cranked it up. I can see a little bit of black oil bubbling around that seal still so i either didnt get it all cleaned or still leaking air but the smoke is gone for the moment after getting it off the block. So i have ordered a replacement gasket.

But its got me to thinking why do i have oil coming out the exhaust. Do i have another issue? Is that normal for the exhaust port to have oil there?
welcome to the best prowler site,no it's not normal to have oil leaking like that,does it smoke out the muffler,i would take and clean everything up real good with brake or carb cleaner and re-inspect where the oil is coming from.looks like it could be coming from the rocker arm cover on top.if the oil is coming from the exhaust gasket thats not good.I would say you have a top end gasket leaking somewhere...............

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 09:30 AM
de3
Loyal Member

With only 1300 miles it should not be that oil soaked,do you know the history of the machine.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply and welcome.

Currently doesn’t smoke out muffler. But I wasn’t sure if it was because the exhaust wasn’t really connected up so the oil was coming out instead of into the pipe? Or was it something I caught quick. Or if it was that gasket above the exhaust.

Would the internals where the rocker arm gasket is located have oil in it that leaks out? I am picturing that as the cover for the valve springs and all be dry.

I pulled the seats and cover off and inspected around the motor and it all appears ok except for that back part of the engine. Also checked oil level and it appears to be full and fresh.

Only history I know of is what info I got from previous owner. Mudding is the biggest thing people do around here. To start with this thing is super clean outside of scratches, has no indication of being mudded. I was told it was a deer lease vehicle and pictures I saw before buying was it parked at his deer lease buy his camp trailer. The air intakes all look stock and not tampered with indicating it was snorkeled.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 01:33 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply and welcome.

Currently doesn’t smoke out muffler. But I wasn’t sure if it was because the exhaust wasn’t really connected up so the oil was coming out instead of into the pipe? Or was it something I caught quick. Or if it was that gasket above the exhaust.

Would the internals where the rocker arm gasket is located have oil in it that leaks out? I am picturing that as the cover for the valve springs and all be dry.

I pulled the seats and cover off and inspected around the motor and it all appears ok except for that back part of the engine. Also checked oil level and it appears to be full and fresh.

Only history I know of is what info I got from previous owner. Mudding is the biggest thing people do around here. To start with this thing is super clean outside of scratches, has no indication of being mudded. I was told it was a deer lease vehicle and pictures I saw before buying was it parked at his deer lease buy his camp trailer. The air intakes all look stock and not tampered with indicating it was snorkeled.
You would be able to see if the rocker covers have oil coming from them.when you check the oil on your prowler you dont want to thread the dip stick in just seat it on top of the threads then check,and make sure your air cleaner is clean....a lot of people neglect the air filter, the air intake is between the cab and bed and one good dusty ride will put a lot of dirt in the filter area and from there it goes to the motor.could very well be the head gasket leaking.let us know what you find out.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Good to know on checking the oil. Will recheck that. Air filter is clean. I figured the dust would be bad with where the intake is located so I have been on it.

Here are couple of side pics of the motor from the passenger side. I do see some activity above the spark plug there.

Is this what your calling the Rocker Cover?

and if thats the case looking at the parts manual I dont see a gasket there. Would it be as simple as taking it off and appling a sealant and bolting it back up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1199.jpg
Views:	1402
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	21074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1198.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	21082  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 03:00 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Good to know on checking the oil. Will recheck that. Air filter is clean. I figured the dust would be bad with where the intake is located so I have been on it.

Here are couple of side pics of the motor from the passenger side. I do see some activity above the spark plug there.

Is this what your calling the Rocker Cover?

and if thats the case looking at the parts manual I dont see a gasket there. Would it be as simple as taking it off and appling a sealant and bolting it back up?
True the rocker arm covers are machined fit,but you could use a sealer on that.by looking it looks like the gasket between the head and rocker cover might be leaking....I would clean it up real good and see for sure where it is leaking at.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 03:03 PM
de3
Loyal Member

The rocker covers are held on with 2 bolts their is one in the front and one in the back.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the insight and help. I have a basis for what I need to start looking for. I am hoping/praying its just a gasket, have enough headaches.

I will give a better scrub down and give it a work out this weekend, checking to see if i can figure out where its coming from exactly. Will report back.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 07:23 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Here's a pic of the rocker covers, if I remember right the is a rubber gasket that's attached to the covers themselves.
Exhaust Leak (oil)-capture.jpg

If you want a free repair manual you can download one here.
"K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike

Last edited by mlh1962; 06-13-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement