Tell me about the 700 HDX - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Tell me about the 700 HDX

Some of you may have saw my post about selling my 08 650 to get something with a bench seat. Well I ran across a 11 700 HDX with around 1700 miles, camo, and power steering they're asking $7000 and its in good shape. Right now I was leaning towards wanting a Polaris Ranger. But I like Arctic cat and would consider the HDX if ya'll could convince me. Here is what I don't like about my Prowler. First is sound. My 650 is very loud. Is the 700 motor under the console or is it further back and how is the noise level? The Rangers nois level is not an issue. Secondly is availability of parts. I assume this won't be any different from my 650 or maybe worse. Any time I've needed anything I've had to buy new nearly every time. Just very few used parts out there. There are plentiful parts for the Ranger. Last I guess is problem areas. I had a 07 700 ATV and they have many fuel pump and EFI issues. I assume the Prowler uses the same pump. Is this much of an issue with the prowlers? Overall just tell me how you like yours the good and the bad. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 02:11 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leed1315 View Post
Some of you may have saw my post about selling my 08 650 to get something with a bench seat. Well I ran across a 11 700 HDX with around 1700 miles, camo, and power steering they're asking $7000 and its in good shape. Right now I was leaning towards wanting a Polaris Ranger. But I like Arctic cat and would consider the HDX if ya'll could convince me. Here is what I don't like about my Prowler. First is sound. My 650 is very loud. Is the 700 motor under the console or is it further back and how is the noise level? The Rangers nois level is not an issue. Secondly is availability of parts. I assume this won't be any different from my 650 or maybe worse. Any time I've needed anything I've had to buy new nearly every time. Just very few used parts out there. There are plentiful parts for the Ranger. Last I guess is problem areas. I had a 07 700 ATV and they have many fuel pump and EFI issues. I assume the Prowler uses the same pump. Is this much of an issue with the prowlers? Overall just tell me how you like yours the good and the bad. Thanks
Not going to be able help much on that,I haven't been around the ranger i did hear that they are quieter.might be a hard choice.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Administrator

I understand that the HDX's are quieter. Same engine andb fuel system as the other 700's. I have over 6,000 miles on my 700, never had any fuel issues. I'm a die hard AC fan, so my opinion is slanted towards an AC product. Not excited with the ranger, dry clutch, no engine braking, can't use 4 wheel drive at will, and so on.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

He sent some pics of it and looks to be good shape. It looked like it had the older style square type cage. Looks like they may have changed the cage design in 2012. Not having a wet clutch doesn't bother me. Less parts to replace and expensive ones at that. Had to have all seals, bearings, and one way replaced in my 650 prowler to keep it from leaking oil into the clutch housing. Why do you say you can't use 4wd at will on the Rangers? I like my Arctic Cat and if it had a bench seat and was quieter then I wouldn't be wanting to get rid of it.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:43 PM

I bought a new 13 model .got about 700miles on it love it.had other models and brands with motor in middle of seat . go with bench seat so much quieter. ac has 4x4 shift on the fly. Polaris u have to stop then put it in.4x4
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:44 PM

I own the same Prowler, but have only had it since January this year. This is also the first SXS I have any experience with, so I'm not able to give much comparisons.

The ground clearance is not the greatest on these, so if you are looking to ride in rough terrain where that is important, I'd be a little concerned about that. I believe it probably has less than the two seaters since the motor has to sit a little lower? Big cargo bed on the HDX. Removable sides, too. I cruise gravel roads and it rides nice at about 45mph. Have been up to 55mph. It will probably go a touch faster. Been in some trails with it and in the creek. The outer air filter is under the passenger seat and I swamped it pretty easily. Had to winch out, then drain the main air box and the CVT since the belt was slipping. I've ridden my quad in much deeper water and never had a belt slip problem. For the air filter, it would be easy to bring it up behind the seat back and fix that. Does get a little warm on the seat after riding for awhile.

For parts, I haven't had to buy anything except a rear axle, and I bought aftermarket from an ebayer. Otherwise I've been buying little stuff from funoutfitters.com.

Your price sounds decent. Any accessories?

Ron

2011 HDX 700 (sold) - CoolFlo windshield, brush guard, Warn winch, hard top, Clarion CD player, amp, Kicker speaker bar, AC rear view mirror, AC storage bag, auxiliary battery with crossover, GBC Grim Reapers.
2007 Suzuki Eiger
2017 CFMoto Zforce 800EX

Last edited by Sockman; 08-06-2014 at 06:40 AM.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:54 PM

I have a 2013 700hdx but notmany km on it about 600. Problems so far: not quite as much ground clearance as my 09 700 xtx,fuse on fan motor burns out in deep water, longer wheel base could be but hasn't been. positives:quieter than xtx and rides better.I liked e-brake better than park in trans.I ride with a couple people with rangers and they seem quite good also
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 06:14 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Sounds like the HDX is a good machine.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Most of the owners I've talked to loved them, only one complained about the 700 engine being the largest available.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate all the feedback. What does concern me a little is the ground clearance issue that was mentioned. Where we hunt has some rocky mountain side and without decent ground clearance there are some places you'll probably hit bottom. I would also be using it to put out sweet potatoes that we use for feed. A full bed is heavy and squats it even further. The air box isn't a big concern because I don't mud ride much but that still sounds a little low there are times we cross a creek or two, I don't think it would come that high but wouldn't want to take a chance on swamping it. Everything else sounds good.
It looked like it may have had a top on it and a factory winch but I didn't notice anything else. The power steering would be a big plus though. As far as price its hard to say how good it is. The fact is there aren't that many Prowlers out there especially when compared to something like a Ranger. It is the only HDX I've found anywhere near me. They're good bikes but resell is a low point for Arctic cats in general whether its an ATV or a SXS. I have a small salvage yard and also fix and sell a few complete bikes and they just don't sell well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement