'08 650 xt, shifting issues low range = reverse - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By creeperxo
  • 1 Post By Bryan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

'08 650 xt, shifting issues low range = reverse

Hey everyone,
I have a '08 650 xt that has some issues with shifting into low range. It will shift into high, neutral and reverse with little issue. When it is put into low, it acts as a second reverse. I suspect a twisted shift fork to be the cause of my problems, but thought I would go looking for a second opinion before I committed to it. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 05:03 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! I'd recommend disconnecting the linkage from the shift arm, and see if you can put it in low range by hand. If this does not work you may have to open it up to see what the problem is. I'm sure others will offer help, as this is s very helpful group on this forum.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 06:49 AM
Rides all the time

Shifting into low often takes a little effort on these machines. It is normal. You can try adjusting the linkage and see if that helps. Otherwise, just feather the gas while trying to shift into low and it should pop right in.

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 07:54 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeperxo View Post
Hey everyone,
I have a '08 650 xt that has some issues with shifting into low range. It will shift into high, neutral and reverse with little issue. When it is put into low, it acts as a second reverse. I suspect a twisted shift fork to be the cause of my problems, but thought I would go looking for a second opinion before I committed to it. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
make sure you idle is not set to high also,needs to be around 1,200 to 1,300 rpm's........true on having to bump the throttle to catch low............

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Right on, thanks for the guidance! I will keep you posted on the progress!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 10:41 AM

Unhappy Low gear outta nowhere???

Hey all,

As originally posted by creeperxo: I have a 2012' Prowler HDX 700 that has just started doing the same thing.... I brought it home to work on, at least I have a garage here.....

I have tightened the linkage, taken it out into the cul-de-sac then all of a sudden here comes reverse!!!!!!!! I disconnected the rear linkage and manually crammed it all the way up. (PARK!) Reconnected the linkage. Adjusted the front linkage for "Park" adjustment to both extremes.

I was in 2 wheel drive at the time. I have always had an issue on steep hills going into low having to hold the shifter up until a spurt of accelerator was given. The "Park" display light STAYS ON so that is no assistance!

I have adjusted the linkage to both extremes and NOTHING CHANGES.....

PLEASE HELP!

Ron "ROCKERGA" Smith
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3 View Post
make sure you idle is not set to high also,needs to be around 1,200 to 1,300 rpm's........true on having to bump the throttle to catch low............
Yep! Winter will make the carbed motors shift harder because the auto choke raises the rpm's until temp is met. I drop my idle down to 1000 in the winter months, to help with shifting.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

With my machine, I ended up having to rebuild my lower end. After eliminating idle speed, and linkage adjustment, I dug a little deeper. I drained the oil and seen an unsettling amount of brass.
At this point I committed to a rebuild. My original intent was to do it myself, but after cracking the case open and seeing the mess of a puzzle in front of me, I chose to take it into a local shop.
It turned out that one of the guides that receive the shifter forks had become free moving on the gear shaft. It then moved freely back and forth on the shaft making shifting next to impossible, and destroying all the gears in the process.
It was a pretty costly fix, but it is rock solid now.
My suspicion is that it was idling high for a long while, leading to shifting becoming harder and harder. This would eventually lead to the failure my prowler experienced.

I got this prowler used from a pipeline company, knowing it had be run pretty rough. They sold it for a song, so I picked it up to use as a snow plow. So far it has kept up nicely with the 2 1/2 feet we've gotten so far this year.
de3 likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 03:10 AM

Ya, for what they are, they are pretty bulletproof! You can't force anything too long before something breaks. Glad you got it fixed up, bad part is, square tube parts are drying up real fast!
de3 likes this.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement