Hole in Crankcase - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Hole in Crankcase

While on a hunt, I had a friend pull up behind me and tell me I was leaking oil. It was leaking bad. I turned off the engine (which sounded fine) and started looking around. I had a hole in my Crankcase about the size of a pencil. I have aluminum skid plates and no major dings below hole. after dropping skid plate and cleaning, looks like the hole came from the inside out. Took it to a new AC Dealership in Reno. They are trying to sell me a new engine for $2500, $3200 installed. They didn't even want to break down the Engine. I called Country Cat service dept. and a mechanic told me it could be the secondary gear in the tranny. Any help would be appreciated on me tearing it apart. Never worked on a 4 stroke. Dn loading service manual now.

2008 Prowler 650XT,
Sedona Rip saws, Warn 3000lb winch, PIAA HID, LED aux lighting, Custom Pre Runner bumper light bar, A/C hard top, Arctic Thunder Custom Snorkel kit , AC suspension seats, Big Gun exhaust, Full Aluminum skid plates, Dynatech CDI, voltage-oil-temp gauges,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 04:18 AM
Loyal Member

is there an A/C dealer in Reno now ??? that would be good news to my ears .. last I looked there wasn't one.

where is Country Cat located [streets] ?? I need one serviced.

I'll be home in a few days from long trip .. maybe I could get away to help a bit .. I'll need to winterize my 5er after we get home and put "stuff" away but I'd like to get my fingers in a prowler a bit too.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 05:14 AM
Administrator

How is the truck running? Heading to Reno?

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 05:37 AM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
How is the truck running? Heading to Reno?
well seems to be good , but lil apprehensive about heading on down the road with a new tranny without many miles on it , went for about 25 mile run last night [no load] for a parts shake down , nothing fell off so today we'll give her hell LOL

yes to Reno / Sparks .. will do +/- 500 mile days so should be there Saturday. thank God for book on CD as I80 is a boring drive through farmland Neb. and high desert Wy. Utah and Nev.

I will leave crumbs just in case

2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Freedom cycle on S. Virginia St. is now the AC dealer. They are owned by Yull Bros.
Country Cat is a dealership in MN. Dan in the service dept is a great resource for me.

2008 Prowler 650XT,
Sedona Rip saws, Warn 3000lb winch, PIAA HID, LED aux lighting, Custom Pre Runner bumper light bar, A/C hard top, Arctic Thunder Custom Snorkel kit , AC suspension seats, Big Gun exhaust, Full Aluminum skid plates, Dynatech CDI, voltage-oil-temp gauges,

Tom
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 11:16 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVhunter View Post
While on a hunt, I had a friend pull up behind me and tell me I was leaking oil. It was leaking bad. I turned off the engine (which sounded fine) and started looking around. I had a hole in my Crankcase about the size of a pencil. I have aluminum skid plates and no major dings below hole. after dropping skid plate and cleaning, looks like the hole came from the inside out. Took it to a new AC Dealership in Reno. They are trying to sell me a new engine for $2500, $3200 installed. They didn't even want to break down the Engine. I called Country Cat service dept. and a mechanic told me it could be the secondary gear in the tranny. Any help would be appreciated on me tearing it apart. Never worked on a 4 stroke. Dn loading service manual now.
How many miles on your prowler,thats not a bad price on a motor installed plus you will have all the up-dated parts,a lot of members on here say its not hard at all,its worth seeing what caused it.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 08:07 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVhunter View Post
Freedom cycle on S. Virginia St. is now the AC dealer. They are owned by Yull Bros.
Country Cat is a dealership in MN. Dan in the service dept is a great resource for me.

thanks !!!

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3 View Post
How many miles on your prowler,thats not a bad price on a motor installed plus you will have all the up-dated parts,a lot of members on here say its not hard at all,its worth seeing what caused it.
I have 4500 miles on it. The engine was refreshed at about 2500. I almost got it out tonight. I'm down to the exhaust and cooling lines. Any ideas on the rear drive line? It has the U joint by the case. Do I pull the engine with the drive line attached ? how does the U joint come apart ?

2008 Prowler 650XT,

Tom
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Rides all the time

The engines actually aren't too hard to work on. The service manual is pretty good, and it is easy once you break it down into sections (take apart top end, left side, right side, center case). I can help you by posting pictures or trying to answer any questions you might have since I have basically rebuilt the engine in mine. You can look at my photo album to see the carnage caused by a broken bevel gear which is an issue these are known for.

As far as your issue, the problem to first look at is the hole in your case. A new set of crankcases from AC is a little over $1000. If you are lucky you can find a good used set like I did for a lot cheaper. Other option is finding somebody that can weld aluminum. Just hope that the hole is all you have and no cracks.

If you do go with the new engine, the $2500 isn't bad. But there is no way I would give them $700 to install it. You can save yourself the $700 and do it yourself as it is pretty dang easy. You might be out a few $$$ to rent an engine hoist (or just get a buddy and be out a few beers in payment). Although the engine hoist may save you from a back injury as it would be awkward to lift the motor up into position.

As far as the u-joint, you should be able to pop out the two c-clips and then press the u-joint out with a press tool. I got lucky and had a friend that has a ball joint press tool that I used. But you can rent them at Autozone/Oreillys and get all your money back once you return the item.

Keep us updated.

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)

Last edited by out west; 10-17-2014 at 04:57 PM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by out west View Post
The engines actually aren't too hard to work on. The service manual is pretty good, and it is easy once you break it down into sections (take apart top end, left side, right side, center case). I can help you by posting pictures or trying to answer any questions you might have since I have basically rebuilt the engine in mine. You can look at my photo album to see the carnage caused by a broken bevel gear which is an issue these are known for.

As far as your issue, the problem to first look at is the hole in your case. A new set of crankcases from AC is a little over $1000. If you are lucky you can find a good used set like I did for a lot cheaper. Other option is finding somebody that can weld aluminum. Just hope that the hole is all you have and no cracks.

If you do go with the new engine, the $2500 isn't bad. But there is no way I would give them $700 to install it. You can save yourself the $700 and do it yourself as it is pretty dang easy. You might be out a few $$$ to rent an engine hoist (or just get a buddy and be out a few beers in payment). Although the engine hoist may save you from a back injury as it would be awkward to lift the motor up into position.

As far as the u-joint, you should be able to pop out the two c-clips and then press the u-joint out with a press tool. I got lucky and had a friend that has a ball joint press tool that I used. But you can rent them at Autozone/Oreillys and get all your money back once you return the item.

Keep us updated.
Thanks Shane, I have the Engine out now. I found a Mech. to tear it apart and check it out. If the damage is $1500 or more, going to just put a new engine in. Now is a good time for new Brakes, Shocks, fuel pump etc...
I test drove a new 700. Very nice, just not into the 16k price tag. A lot of my 4wheeling is in 4 low over rocks. (Nevada) I really don't think a new one of any brand would be any better. I think 4 Low makes them equal. (even though I loved the power steering)

2008 Prowler 650XT,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement