Starving for fuel? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Starving for fuel?

On about 2 of my last 5 rides, it seams like I run out of gas. I blow in the vent and let it sit for a few and then it starts back up and runs fine. I was wondering if I should replace the fuel pump? I'm sure there is a screen on the pick up tube at the bottom of the tank. Was thinking of taking it off and going with an inline filter....any ideas? Thanks!

2008 Prowler 650XT,
Sedona Rip saws, Warn 3000lb winch, PIAA HID, LED aux lighting, Custom Pre Runner bumper light bar, A/C hard top, Arctic Thunder Custom Snorkel kit , AC suspension seats, Big Gun exhaust, Full Aluminum skid plates, Dynatech CDI, voltage-oil-temp gauges,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Loyal Member

trash in carb ? yes to your idea also , fuel line original / condition .. vapor locked / line close to heat ? .. while your at it do a carb rebuild/cleaning

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTroyer View Post
trash in carb ? yes to your idea also , fuel line original / condition .. vapor locked / line close to heat ? .. while your at it do a carb rebuild/cleaning
Thanks Gary. You back in Reno yet?

2008 Prowler 650XT,
Sedona Rip saws, Warn 3000lb winch, PIAA HID, LED aux lighting, Custom Pre Runner bumper light bar, A/C hard top, Arctic Thunder Custom Snorkel kit , AC suspension seats, Big Gun exhaust, Full Aluminum skid plates, Dynatech CDI, voltage-oil-temp gauges,

Tom

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVhunter View Post
On about 2 of my last 5 rides, it seams like I run out of gas. I blow in the vent and let it sit for a few and then it starts back up and runs fine. I was wondering if I should replace the fuel pump? I'm sure there is a screen on the pick up tube at the bottom of the tank. Was thinking of taking it off and going with an inline filter....any ideas? Thanks!
Rather than blowing into the line, try sucking, without swallowing any gas. If it is the tank screen you will get very little gas in the mouth. This is also where the bottle of jack comes in handy after the mouth full of gas test. Oh, smoking is also not advised during this test. This sounds like a xxx production!

Its been a tough week, but I made it.
2013 Prowler 700 XTX
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
How soon after driving does it act up? Any chance your float is stuck?

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Thanks Gary. You back in Reno yet?
yes for a couple days before I go back to Coeur d'Alene to get my trailer full of garage "stuff" and finish off emptying the shop .. a bunch to do and short time to do it before snow fly's there .... got to fix truck oil leak and new found water leak [water pump or O-ring gasket]

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I know a mechanic that had that problem on a brp 650 with a carb. it would idle fine rev up but when under load it would sputter. Turned out to be the fuel pump. It was sucking gas through the vacuum tube or pulse line what ever you want to call it.

Rob
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. going to just replace fuel pump and all hoses. remove tank screen and go with inline filter. It will give my something to do while my Engine/Tranny is being rebuilt. I downloaded the service manual from that lawnmower place and it says to replace fuel line/vent tubing every 2 years.{I think that's what it said} been awhile since I read it.......But to answer the question, It does it about 15 minutes or so into the ride. Acts like its running out of fuel

2008 Prowler 650XT,

Tom
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Haven't ever replaced my hoses, maybe I should take a look at them.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 05:16 AM
Rides all the time

I installed an inline fuel filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump. It is a cheap option for a little extra reassurance.......

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement