Another question from a newbie - winch cable - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Another question from a newbie - winch cable

OOOPS! Our wench cable broke today while plowing the drive. I need to replace it. Which is best, braided steel, nylon, other? How hard is it to change it out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassyrascal View Post
OOOPS! Our wench cable broke today while plowing the drive. I need to replace it. Which is best, braided steel, nylon, other? How hard is it to change it out?
Hi. I don't plow snow, but the synthetic cable is very popular. For what your doing, any cable should be fine. If your primary use is for your plow, can you cut off where it broke and just shorten it using a cable clamp? If you want to change it out, there is a lever on your winch to let it free spool. Keep tension on new cable when winding up. Pretty simple. make sure you order the right size cable for your winch capacity. Good luck, and did you ever get it to go into low range?

2008 Prowler 650XT,
Sedona Rip saws, Warn 3000lb winch, PIAA HID, LED aux lighting, Custom Pre Runner bumper light bar, A/C hard top, Arctic Thunder Custom Snorkel kit , AC suspension seats, Big Gun exhaust, Full Aluminum skid plates, Dynatech CDI, voltage-oil-temp gauges,

Tom
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Been There, Done That! I use a 15' piece of steel cable on mine for plowing. I take the synthetic cable off in the winter. I broke my cable when the dash winch button stuck in the up position. Since then I use the lanyard when plowing. I tried using Aluminum crimp clamps, but the kept slipping, I use 2 cable clamps instead, and watch my plow whem coming up! LOL

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 07:42 AM
Loyal Member

make up a L shaped bracket that slips into the receiver on the front .. put a long leg vertical about 3' tall,mount on top of that a pulley [a 3 or 4" pulley will do fine] .. then run your winch rope or cable over that and give your plow some leverage up .. in the stock configuration the wear spot is at the end do to the bad leverage you have on it. and that stand off will allow a much better leverage angle and your winch rope/cable will last a LONG time ... also use a short rope/cable for the plow season as RD said quit wasting good rope / cable on plowing

for regular winch use a synthetic rope will be a better choice , just be sure to have a good abrasion sleeve for it for when it touched a rock or tree as that will be the break tearing spot ... the synthetic is safer to use as the stored energy won't kill ya when the cable type snaps back when pulling and a breakage happens.

also easier to use synthetic do to pliability and softness and strength .. have to use an aluminum Haws Fairlead with synthetic ropes though so be sure to get one at the same time.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us

Last edited by GTroyer; 12-27-2014 at 07:50 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 08:15 AM

Love the synthetic rope, but agree with everyone else. The back and forth is hell on those when plowing snow, although that is still how I am set up on my 4 wheeler. Just make sure you don't reel it in too far. That's where I get into trouble.

I'm still on my original synthetic rope, but have had to cut it and put a new loop on the end a couple times.

Ron

2011 HDX 700 (sold) - CoolFlo windshield, brush guard, Warn winch, hard top, Clarion CD player, amp, Kicker speaker bar, AC rear view mirror, AC storage bag, auxiliary battery with crossover, GBC Grim Reapers.
2007 Suzuki Eiger
2017 CFMoto Zforce 800EX
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

We never got low range (yet), but high & 4WD is working to do the plowing. We were able to get the winch rope untangled and cut the frayed end off. We then reapplied it to the thimble and secured with heavy duty zip ties. It's working for now, but we have ordered the new synthetic Am-Steel Blue 3/16 rope for it. The rope was the same one that came as original equipment & we know the previous owner used the winch a lot! When we were able to get the cable loose, we could see fraying on most of the rope so we thought it would be best to go ahead & get a new one.
I'm saving further work on the shift cable until a warmer season. It's just too cold for me to work without gloves. Hubby is a 100% disabled vet, so there is a lot of the stuff he just can't help with.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 05:53 PM
Loyal Member

surely you have a good mechanical skilled neighbor up there .. ask for a lil help from you friends BETCHA someone will jump up to lend a hand for you

sorry didn't realize your a lady when I was talking about making a bracket , but bet there is a guy there who would fab up one for you. who knows there are some very skilled lady fabricators out there you might just be one of them so no slight intended in my posts if you took it that way.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 07:52 PM

like your idea of L shape and pulley fitting into receiver.Will do that next year as it's too cold now

2014 grizzly 700eps
2010 renegade snowmachine
98 big bear
2013 hdx prowler
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
We never got low range (yet), but high & 4WD is working to do the plowing. We were able to get the winch rope untangled and cut the frayed end off. We then reapplied it to the thimble and secured with heavy duty zip ties. It's working for now, but we have ordered the new synthetic Am-Steel Blue 3/16 rope for it. The rope was the same one that came as original equipment & we know the previous owner used the winch a lot! When we were able to get the cable loose, we could see fraying on most of the rope so we thought it would be best to go ahead & get a new one.
I'm saving further work on the shift cable until a warmer season. It's just too cold for me to work without gloves. Hubby is a 100% disabled vet, so there is a lot of the stuff he just can't help with.
I hope you get the low range working soon! Not good pushing snow in high.

2008 Prowler 650XT,
Sedona Rip saws, Warn 3000lb winch, PIAA HID, LED aux lighting, Custom Pre Runner bumper light bar, A/C hard top, Arctic Thunder Custom Snorkel kit , AC suspension seats, Big Gun exhaust, Full Aluminum skid plates, Dynatech CDI, voltage-oil-temp gauges,

Tom
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 08:04 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Hope you can get some help.........how do you like plowing snow......any more questions feel free to ask.....

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement