Locker not working, belt slipping one problem after another. - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Locker not working, belt slipping one problem after another.

Is the front locker on an XTZ more like a posi trac? I had mine engaged and it was acting like a posi trac, I thought it was supposed to be like an ARB. Also my belt was slipping when I was in high and 4wd. Should I take it to the dealer and see whats going on or is this typical? By the way I was in the snow so I guess the belt could have been wet. I have about 300 miles on it so the belt shouldn't be wore out yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 PM

I had the same problem needspeed. It seems like the front diff is not a true lock.As far as the belt i did the same thing,got it wet and smoked a belt.Now i took the cover off which is a pain, and it looks like a little oil in there. It may just be burnt rubber and water mixed together. I cant find any seal leaks.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 PM

I was slipping belts and found that the plug on the bottom of the intake for the belt was gone so I put one in and not so much slipping. I think it was sucking water and snow in there. Its on the passenger side under the floor.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Looks like I'll have to pull the belt cover off and see whats going on. I'm pretty dissappointed in the "locker". Isn't that false advertising?
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:15 AM

cat n hat. I am going to lower my stock cage. I just noticed that you did that.I would like to get some pics and your thoughts on the best way to do this, also some pics of seats lowered would be helpful. email is [email protected]
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Jounior Member

Arctic Cat front differentials are True lockers, if you look onto the forums that all the mud boggers get on to that is one reason a lot of them buy the cats because they are true locking differentials. It sounds as if maybe yours are not engaging fully. Maybe I'm wrong and they changed something on the XTZ, but I don't think so.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

I thought it used to act like a true locker, but this last trip out it was like I said before it acted like a regular open diff, or maybe a posi. I'll see if I can adjust it, since my dealer probably won't be sure which is the front diff.lol.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:35 PM

[quote=eaac;13709]Arctic Cat front differentials are True lockers, if you look onto the forums that all the mud boggers get on to that is one reason a lot of them buy the cats because they are true locking differentials. It sounds as if maybe yours are not engaging fully.

are you flipping the switch all the way up ? thats why they have a 3 postion switch . 2wd, 4wd open front dif , and full locked . make sure the actuator moves each time you move the switch .
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Jounior Member

Your axle prob pulled out just a hair and the locker teeth are not making contact. Cant remember which side is the locker side so just see if you can push either front axle into the diff a little more. As for the belt if you were in light fluffy snow you more then likely sucked some into you belt housing and thats what caused it to slip. If its still working i wouldnt bother taking it apart.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

are you flipping the switch all the way up ? thats why they have a 3 postion switch . 2wd, 4wd open front dif , and full locked . make sure the actuator moves each time you move the switch .[/quote]

I had it in the locked position on the switch, I think I'm going to order a couple of the factory on/ off switches and hook the locker up on its own switch and the bypass switch I'm going to replace with another on/off switch, maybe I'll use the momentary switch for the by-pass as a horn button.

If the axle is slipping out and thats causeing the locker not to work will they fix it under warranty? If so is there a recall? My dealers usual story is that they have never seen or heard of the problem (no matter what it is, like the tie rods) so if its a recall it will make it much easier to get it fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement