wish list for new owner - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

wish list for new owner

Hi guys, just sold Rhino and long travel kit.....got green light from wife on purchase of 1000.....found used 09 with 50 miles local....but wife is not sharing my wild ideas of upgrades.....need help prioritizing what upgrades u guys would suggest to start.....such as exhaust before it comes home and she would know difference vs. stock......thinking Muzzy with programmer...we do desert/dumont/pismo.....any recommendations? I see clutch appears to be great upgrade.....considering wheel spacers and spring upgrade as long is travel out of budget right now.....any downside to converting to Rhino bolt pattern for wheel availability....and what about the frame/suspension brace kits from UTVCRAP....needed to start or upgrade as I go? I plan on 4 seat cage for family soon as I get it home.....I'm looking for any advice on logical steps for upgrades...thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo View Post
Hi guys, just sold Rhino and long travel kit.....got green light from wife on purchase of 1000.....found used 09 with 50 miles local....but wife is not sharing my wild ideas of upgrades.....need help prioritizing what upgrades u guys would suggest to start.....such as exhaust before it comes home and she would know difference vs. stock......thinking Muzzy with programmer...we do desert/dumont/pismo.....any recommendations? I see clutch appears to be great upgrade.....considering wheel spacers and spring upgrade as long is travel out of budget right now.....any downside to converting to Rhino bolt pattern for wheel availability....and what about the frame/suspension brace kits from UTVCRAP....needed to start or upgrade as I go? I plan on 4 seat cage for family soon as I get it home.....I'm looking for any advice on logical steps for upgrades...thanks for your help

Welcome to the site.

I would recommend riding it stock for a while and enjoying it with the wife. I made the mistake of trusting people and their word that my XTZ would be done quickly and it would be awesome. I will leave it at that for now but I have owned mine for nearly a year and driven it 3 times. You will like the XTZ just leave it be for a while. If you decide to upgrade some things UTV Crap does a very nice job on their parts and fabrication for the XTZ. They fixed most of the problems that my car had after the first build. Good luck.

Todd

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Founding Member

Rizzo, where you located?
I would tend to agree with the above post. I bought my XTZ, spent over $6000 in add-ons right away, and am already back in the shop with it, completely rebuilding it into what I want. Riding it for a bit told me what I needed to change and what mods had to be done. Most of what I had done previously is being re-used, but the entire cage is gone now, as well as being down to the bare chassis, where it's getting a new cage from the bottom chassis rails up.
But as for mods, you need to determine what kind of riding you are doing first. A lot of guys have enjoyed their XTZs with little or no mods when duning. So ride it for a bit, get used to it, take a notebook and pen with you to make notes while you are out on the trail or at the dunes. Then decide what the weaknesses are and then ask how to correct those weaknesses. Remember, what works for one rider, may not be the best for you.
Desert, you need to consider shocks and frame reinforcement, beadlock wheels, 8ply tires.
Desert and Dunes, consider clutching mods such as Airdam's.
Too much testosterone, consider engine mods.

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 03:55 PM

I agree - have you driven a 1000 yet? If not you will be surprised at how much more power the xtz has over the rhino...

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler XTZ1000

GAMERS check out my Gaming Channel WhatsMyGame https://www.youtube.com/user/rcevolution74
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Rides all the time

Welcome to the site Rizzo. Sounds like you have a long wish list like the rest of us. I would ride it for a while and upgrade as you go.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

thank u guys for sound advice......I am often guilty of thinking about the cart before the horse......I am in central California.....Clovis to be exact.....lookin forward to picking up cat 2-6......then hopefully check out dove springs area within following 2 weeks....I am sure I'll be returning with more questions for u guys......tks again
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:01 PM

I agree with the rest, i have had mine for a year . Now i'm getting ready to do some mods.I think the first thing is the clutch,Airdam, is the man to talk to about that.Low cost also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement