My XTZ 1000 = Murphy’s Law – “Anything that can go wrong will go wrong” - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

My XTZ 1000 = Murphy’s Law – “Anything that can go wrong will go wrong”

Well, the list continues to grow…
1. Since day 1 it’s always had a problem “puking” coolant. We’ve bleed the air out and it seemed to help with not running as hot.
2. Installed the UTV temp gauge. Even when temp is between 180-190 the speedometer will occasionally cycle (similar to when you first turn the key on). While riding the speedometer will occasionally cycle and show the water temp indicator flashing on the speedometer – then after a few minutes it goes back to normal.
3. A few months ago the front passenger tie rod snapped (at the troubled threaded section – lame design). The result ended in cracking the differential case as well. Took a little bit of ruffling feathers with Bass Pro and Arctic Cat (AC NEVER EVEN RETURNED ONE OF MY CALLS) for them to realize there was a more severe problem with the diff as they believed it was the only the rings which is why the diff started to leak. Once Bass Pro got the diff all the way off, they realized the casing had actually cracked. AC stepped up and replaced the diff and front axel(s) then I had a Gear One rack and tie rods installed ($$$ - Didn’t want to risk being stuck 8 miles out again…).
4. Went to pick it up from Bass Pro and when in their parking lot trying to accelerate there was hardly any power… After leaving it with them for a few hours, they called and said they replaced the spark plug and it was better (400 miles)……
5. Prior to the end of the year I took it in for the water pump recall (hoping that would solve the “puking” coolant) - didn't...
6. Brought it home and it had a problem starting (turning over) - Sounded like it was flooded. Tried starting it enough times and guess what, time to charge your battery…
7. While with the family on vacation for New Years the Prowler would take 10-15 minutes of riding prior to what felt like the 2nd cylinder to kick in. One evening (even after 60 minutes of it running) it never kicked in and got me over 20 mph (imagine trying to keep up with your buddies and trying to climb even a 20 foot hill – NO CHANCE). Still had a difficult time getting it started…
8. The following day checked the spark plug from the 2nd cylinder and it was drenched in fuel…… Cleaned the plug and got in started for the last ride (again limited power for 20 minutes)…
9. On the way back to camp the Prowler started getting squirrelly when I realized the rear driver axel was out…… SHIT ANYTHING ELSE THAT CAN WRONG!!!!
10. Once I put it in the trailer and got it home I tried starting it to get it out of the trailer. After a few attempts without any luck, it put out the LOUDEST backfire… Scared the shit out of my 4 year old daughter and me… Has never started since........

SOOOOO, it’s been in the shop and yesterday they indicated that at least the 2nd cylinder head gasket was blown and they were going to look at the 1st as well.
Considering my last experience with Arctic Cat (not even returning my call), we will see what happens this time.......
I don’t mean to bitch (as this forum has lots of good information), but holly crap, I have $20,000 into it with no engine modifications and even the basic shit isn’t functioning!!!!! Now that I’m done venting and have my ~10 month old prowler with 800 miles on it (been in the shop almost more than in my garage), I’ll have to see what happens next…

Last edited by Flying Low; 02-03-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Loyal Member

WOW! Thats NOT a bedtime story. Im sorry you are having all the problems you are Having.

2009 Prowler 700 XTX Walker Evans Shocks,STI Roctane 27/9/14 and 27/11/14 tires,Warn skid plates,Ridgid Ind Prerunner Cage,Home made spare tire carrier,Hids high and low beams,1.5 inch wheel spacers,E Brake Alarm, Rear diff vent mod Etc. NO TURF SAVER!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:37 PM

oh man thats bad... ive got 2 months and 73 miles on it so far no problems... I hope this fixes it for you

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler XTZ1000

GAMERS check out my Gaming Channel WhatsMyGame https://www.youtube.com/user/rcevolution74

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Loyal Member

sounds like you need to get a lil higher up on the food chain for problem resolution .. bet a couple of the dealers on here can tell you who to contact .. maybe even total replacement of you rig and swaping over of the added parts at N/C do to their poor quality workmanship and warranty follow through.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Low View Post
Well, the list continues to grow…
1. Since day 1 it’s always had a problem “puking” coolant. We’ve bleed the air out and it seemed to help with not running as hot.
2. Installed the UTV temp gauge. Even when temp is between 180-190 the speedometer will occasionally cycle (similar to when you first turn the key on). While riding the speedometer will occasionally cycle and show the water temp indicator flashing on the speedometer – then after a few minutes it goes back to normal.
3. A few months ago the front passenger tie rod snapped (at the troubled threaded section – lame design). The result ended in cracking the differential case as well. Took a little bit of ruffling feathers with Bass Pro and Arctic Cat (AC NEVER EVEN RETURNED ONE OF MY CALLS) for them to realize there was a more severe problem with the diff as they believed it was the only the rings which is why the diff started to leak. Once Bass Pro got the diff all the way off, they realized the casing had actually cracked. AC stepped up and replaced the diff and front axel(s) then I had a Gear One rack and tie rods installed ($$$ - Didn’t want to risk being stuck 8 miles out again…).
4. Went to pick it up from Bass Pro and when in their parking lot trying to accelerate there was hardly any power… After leaving it with them for a few hours, they called and said they replaced the spark plug and it was better (400 miles)……
5. Prior to the end of the year I took it in for the water pump recall (hoping that would solve the “puking” coolant) - didn't...
6. Brought it home and it had a problem starting (turning over) - Sounded like it was flooded. Tried starting it enough times and guess what, time to charge your battery…
7. While with the family on vacation for New Years the Prowler would take 10-15 minutes of riding prior to what felt like the 2nd cylinder to kick in. One evening (even after 60 minutes of it running) it never kicked in and got me over 20 mph (imagine trying to keep up with your buddies and trying to climb even a 20 foot hill – NO CHANCE). Still had a difficult time getting it started…
8. The following day checked the spark plug from the 2nd cylinder and it was drenched in fuel…… Cleaned the plug and got in started for the last ride (again limited power for 20 minutes)…
9. On the way back to camp the Prowler started getting squirrelly when I realized the rear driver axel was out…… SHIT ANYTHING ELSE THAT CAN WRONG!!!!
10. Once I put it in the trailer and got it home I tried starting it to get it out of the trailer. After a few attempts without any luck, it put out the LOUDEST backfire… Scared the shit out of my 4 year old daughter and me… Has never started since........

SOOOOO, it’s been in the shop and yesterday they indicated that at least the 2nd cylinder head gasket was blown and they were going to look at the 1st as well.
Considering my last experience with Arctic Cat (not even returning my call), we will see what happens this time.......
I don’t mean to bitch (as this forum has lots of good information), but holly crap, I have $20,000 into it with no engine modifications and even the basic shit isn’t functioning!!!!! Now that I’m done venting and have my ~10 month old prowler with 800 miles on it (been in the shop almost more than in my garage), I’ll have to see what happens next…
Too bad the lemon law doesn't apply, i'm sure you qualify. Lemme do you a favor and swap you my super reliable 2008 650 dead even. Only needed gas, oil changes and a set of tires in 850 miles!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Founding Member

Sounds like you had a cylinder head gasket leak since day one. That would also be a major cause of your hard starting, plug fouling, being down on power and overheating/puking coolant. The dealer should've done a leak down test on the cylinders to verify a bad head gasket.

Also, the stock plugs on these machines (pretty much all OEM atv/utv's) suck. Change them out for a good set of NGKs. And then carry spares, engines like atv's and utv's tend to foul out more than an automobile would.

Batteries on all utv's are seriously inadequate from the very beginning. Install a second battery with isolator system if you find yourself having to crank it over and over. Or at least hook it up to a battery tender unit when parked at home. Even John Deere lawn mowers have that problem.
I hate to say it, but these problems should've been caught by your dealer. Arctic Cat would've just referred you right back to the dealer. Your fight should be with the dealer more than Arctic Cat.

I do agree, Arctic Cat has some problems with these machines. But so does Polaris (sucking dirt into engines, bad seals, diff gears breaking, etc), so do the other brands. I wished AC was better. But it really sounds like Bass Pro or whoever you took it too in the beginning, didn't check for a gasket leak like they should've. It was their lack of fixing it that very possibly led to the other problems.

Don't think that I'm sticking up for AC, but these are problems that a dealer should've caught and fixed. But what do you expect from a big box store...

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...

Last edited by Darryl89; 02-03-2010 at 05:31 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Rides all the time

Man I would be frustrated too. It sounds like you are able to get some things covered even though it's been a struggle. How has Bass Pro been to deal with?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Jounior Member

I hope this time it gets fixed and you have a happy rest of its life with out any more problems..I was thinking the puking was head gasket too.

A Hemi-Spherical First
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanggeek View Post
Man I would be frustrated too. It sounds like you are able to get some things covered even though it's been a struggle. How has Bass Pro been to deal with?
After my last visit to Bass Pro and struggling with them, I recently found a local dealer. He did the water pump and after further testing determined the head gaskets needed to be done. I was not confident after my service visit to Bass Pro that they actually knew what they were doing…….
I guess you live and learn. The frustrating part is that the problems have screwed up two of my vacations due to the prowler not working….
When it works, I LOVE IT!!!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Jounior Member

Yup almost all of your probs where caused by the leaky head gasket. And prowlers are known for there weak tie rods but that easy to fix, the axles pull out is kind of bs as i think this is a problem with all cats but usually only after lifting them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement