EPI belt - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

EPI belt

Anyone ever try one? They have a sever duty, super duty and stock version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Jounior Member

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

look up the part number for your OEM belt, and type the part number in the search screen on ebay. you can get a BRAND new OEM belt from "nationalrepodepot" got less than $50 shipped. ONLY use the cat OEM belt. i've said it before and i'll say it again, all the aftermarket belts have ceramic fibers in them to keep the belt cooler and disapate heat. however the ceramic elements in the belt will score a groove in your clutches when the belt slips. not "if" the belt sips but "when" because your belt is going to slip with that belt. if you buy an aftermarket belt, plan on seeing a groove cut into th base of the primary sheaves after about 500 miles

///AIRDAM clutch machining
< http://airdamclutches.com/ >
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AIRDAM View Post
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

look up the part number for your OEM belt, and type the part number in the search screen on ebay. you can get a BRAND new OEM belt from "nationalrepodepot" got less than $50 shipped. ONLY use the cat OEM belt. i've said it before and i'll say it again, all the aftermarket belts have ceramic fibers in them to keep the belt cooler and disapate heat. however the ceramic elements in the belt will score a groove in your clutches when the belt slips. not "if" the belt sips but "when" because your belt is going to slip with that belt. if you buy an aftermarket belt, plan on seeing a groove cut into th base of the primary sheaves after about 500 miles
That answers that! I'm glad you answered. If I get your stage 1 milling done should I put a new belt on when I reinstall? I would like to get this done before summer so I might just hold out before putting a new belt on.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Jounior Member

it really depends on the mileage on your machine. the belt wears out the more miles you put on it. usually a belt on a stock machine that is ridden easily will last 2,000 miles. but a machine thats modded and ridden hard may only get 500-1000 miles out of a belt. so depending on your driving habits, and past adventures its your call really. if you'e ever sank the bike or filled your clutch housing up with water, i'd suggest getting a new belt. or if you are over 1000 miles, i'd suggest a new belt, HOWEVER it is not a necessity to change out the belt just because you get the machining done. you can leave the belt you have in there and ride it till its worn out. the best bet is to measure the belt with a dial caliper. the belt new is 35mms across at the top. minimum wear specs say 28mms wide at the top is worn out and needs replacing. but i've found that anything under 30mms is pushing it. when the belt gets down to 30mms wide its getting too thin for the secondary to properly keep the belt tensioned. so if you can measure the belt and its around 30mms or less definitely replace it

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Good info. I just ordered a stock belt from ebay $48 shipped. I did get a little water in my belt housing last year and now she's starting to chirp a little.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Jounior Member

yep. those are good folks i've ordered alot from them

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 09:17 PM

Adam, i tried to put number on ebay but coudnt find it.The number i used off of the cover my new oem belt came in is #0823-231, I that the correct number and if not what is it? Thanks
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Jounior Member

yeah thats it bob 0823-231. the deal is that ryan just bought the only one they had listed. when they do the listings instead of listing 10 different listings, they just do one listing and say 10+ available. so since ryan ordered the only one they had listed last night that means they'll have to re-list it before you can buy another one. i checked it last nite before ryan ordered his and they said they had 10+ available. and just a second ago i checked it again and it said it was purchased at 11:00 last nite. so ryan bought the onle one they had. i'm sure they'll re-list it tomorrow just keep an eye on it. they'll have another one up. when i talked to them a while back they had like 30 to sell so i'm sure you will get one just keep looking at it every now and then bob!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AIRDAM View Post
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I bought a Gates belt for a back up. Work discount $38 bucks. Would you figure it is made out of cerramic fibers also?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Jounior Member

well they are not necessarily made out of ceramic fibers. they are all rubber belts, but have ceramic or fiberglass fibers in\mbedded into them to help dissapate heat. the EPIs and DAYCOs have the ceramic fibers \the gates belt has more fiberglass in it. both are not terribly good for the clutches if you have a stock clutch setup. the factory primary sheaves allow the belt to slip, which naturally would not be a big deal. but with one of the aftermarket belts with mystery meat in them, tend to eat your clutches up. if i was gonna buy an aftermarket belt i would choose the Gates over all the others, but i still reccomend only the factory belt. if you can get them online, you can get it for less than $50 shipped.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement