Hill climb spin outs - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

Garage
Hill climb spin outs

I know I'm out powered by the newer Polaris models, I'm talking the 900 Rangers & RZR's I've been riding with. The biggest problem I seem to have is hill climbs, whether it's mud or loose dirt I always seem to get to the top and spin out, just can't seem to get over the ridge. These are steep hills, thought I was going to roll backward today. I know I have heavy tires which isn't helping, they're about 35.5 pounds each. I do think that the weight distribution of where the engine sits makes a difference also. Any opinions?

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 02:50 AM
Administrator

I've only encountered that on the sand dunes at Silver Lake, these things have to be at a 50/50 weight distribution. I run out of clutch at the dunes, but not worth changing as we only go 1-2 times a year. You could lower the clutch roller weights, but then everything else will suffer. Are you breaking the tires loose at the crest? That is where I have gotten stuck. Those are pretty heavy tires!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

Garage
Yep breaking all the tires loose and spinning all 4.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

Garage
Looked up the specs, front tires are 30 lbs and the rear are 36.2 lbs according to Sedona's website.

Missouri Mike
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 06:46 AM
Loyal Member

believe it or not the tire weight isn't the issue if all four are breaking loose .. it would be if they weren't breaking loose

example .. heavy farm tractors with very low gearing have to add water to fill the tires and many times wheel weights to add weight so they don't break loose ..

your unloading the weight when your spinning out usually ..

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTroyer View Post
believe it or not the tire weight isn't the issue if all four are breaking loose .. it would be if they weren't breaking loose

example .. heavy farm tractors with very low gearing have to add water to fill the tires and many times wheel weights to add weight so they don't break loose ..

My thought on the weight is I only have about two buggy lengths or less before I hit the hill. Lighter weight might get me a better shot out of the hole and a little more speed when I start going up. Power really doesn't seem to be the problem since it's turning all four but the RZR 900 could hit the gas and fly up the hill, I just can't get enough momentum going with my little 650.

The hill we were on yesterday is all fill dirt with sand and lots of leaves mixed in. It's a place where the city street sweepers dump their loads, a lot of soft loose fill.

Missouri Mike
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Yup, same as mine! I almost think we are getting too much traction for the available power, and that kills any momentum.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:

I think that's where the rear mounted engine may have the advantage, weight transferred to the rear wheels for traction and the front end is lighter so it pushes it up. Does that make sense?

Missouri Mike
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 04:39 PM
Loyal Member

wheel base length one to the other ?

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
wheel base length one to the other ?
A little difference, Prowler is 75", RZR 79", Ranger 81".

Missouri Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement